Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on July 7, 2016
We start out with a great action scene, and the synopsis seems to promise plenty of action, but wow after that opening scene is just sloooowwww way down. All the action seems to disappear and at page 173 pages I just can’t take it anymore. We’ve had chapter after chapter of a Navy Seal waxing on and on about the girl he had the hots for in high school and how much he still wants her; throw in a sprinkling of said girl dreaming about him here and there and wow boring. Absolutely nothing is happening, well I guess we know his niece works in an ice cream shop and is sorta anti –social, said niece keeps getting page time also to remind us of this fact….
on November 30, 2014
I got this audiobook from Audiobook Jukebox for an honest review. I liked the premise of the story and from the brief clip on audible, I liked the sound of the female narrator. First of all, let me start by saying that this is a new recording of a book originally published in 2000. The first audio recording was done back in 2008 and only has 1 narrator. To be clear, the version I heard was with Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank and was recently released. That didn't change the fact that it was a little bit dated due to the story being 14 years old. It wasn't crazy noticeable, but there were a few places that I did the Huh? at.

There were 3 story lines going on here. The main story is about Tom and Kelly and their second chance romance. The second is about Tom's teenage niece Mallory and David, a boy she meets. The third tells the story of Kelly's father and Tom's uncle during WWII in occupied France and their love triangle with a local French woman who is head of the local resistance. Sound confusing? They really aren't and all the threads eventually weave into a cohesive story.

My biggest problem was with the two narrators and trying to figure out the rhyme or reason to who was talking. It wasn't like the Melanie did all the female voices/thoughts and Patrick took the men. Nope. It wasn't even like male/female perspectives, or every other chapter or anything I could figure out. I swear I spent more time trying to figure out why this person was speaking versus that person, it distracted me from the story. I think that either one could have done a credible job on their own. But together, it was just a hot mess.

Since I had already requested the next book, The Defiant Hero, it is next up. But I don't know whether I will be requesting anymore. I'm just not sure how I feel about the dual narrators. Maybe it will grow on me, but I just don't know. I would have gone 3 stars for this, but I just couldn't get a handle on the narration. 2 stars.
on July 21, 2000
Didn't like the book. The most interesting character was over 70 years of age and had had a relationship last in France 1944. The hero-heroine pair didn't work. I had some moments when I wanted to find a baseball bat and hit the heroine. She was so complicated all the time. I gave two stars for Spock for president T-shirt and few good lines, like bat phone. But I had to force myself to finish this book. I like TDD-series but this one was totally different. Perhaps because I didn't like the hero a slighties bit. Well but his uncle... (the over-70-years-of age) that might have been an other story. Somehow this book was a mixup of terrorist, suspense and romances but neither of them.
on March 26, 2014
Suzanne is a wonderful writer and her talents truly improved over time. I liked this book, I just started off reading her more recent work before this one and it is much better. It is based in the hear and now, however a third of the story is flash backs to WWII. I just can't relate to before I was born and I was very board by it. The romance was good, not to much to dominate but steamy and sweet at the same time. The current day story was good!
on September 4, 2015
Blah! i think i was trying something new with the thriller/romance combo. maybe thats all it was, but it was neither thrilling for me, nor was the romance all that remarkable. the couple i most enjoyed following were the side characters of mallory and david. the main characters had a nicely set up history but they didnt burn together for me. it was too broken up by several peoples other romances, the war story love triangle was really boring for me and i couldnt 'feel' for those characters. it was just a dud for me, though i read it to the end to see if it was ever going to pick up. nope just the most dragged out week (i think the book takes place over a week) ive read in a long time.
on May 20, 2014
Not worth the read. It just didn't do it for me so I put it down have to meany outer books to read to waste time on something I did not like.
on July 21, 2000