Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on October 23, 2012
For years I've heard about "Sleight of Mouth". All I heard till now was ambiguous and impossible to understand, much less use, in a day to day business world. Until now.

THEN I READ THIS BOOK - EXCELLENT

I bought the User's Guide to Sleight of Mouth because I was looking for a sales tool to help me make my business better. Period. I've been to a lot of different sales trainings over the years and didn't want the same old stuff with new packaging. I found what I was looking for. This book was great. Knocked it outa the park as far as I'm concerned. Worth ten times the price to me in increased sales in just a couple of days. God knows what the value will be over time.

One cool thing is about half way through the book there was a link to an on-line video that the author made that explains a certain part of the book in a really excellent way. I could watch it right on my Kindle Fire. I really liked that. I would have liked more of that.

I am a business man with my own small business. I don't have time for things that are too complex or too theoretical. I need results. This book delivered exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
on April 15, 2012
Doug O'Brien is a very highly skilled teacher, trainer and practitioner of both NLP and Ericksonian Hypnosis. I have attended many of his live seminars on various subjects over the years and have always enjoyed his humorous but in-depth training style. I believe Doug was one of the first in the country to teach Sleight of Mouth with the permission and endorsement of it's creator, Robert Dilts, and has been teaching it for nearly two decades. When I took his live training in Sleight of Mouth I found that he successfully combines detailed explanations with active engagement, and a wonderful sense of humor that makes learning fun.

I am thrilled that Doug has published this book on Sleight of Mouth because it captures his fun teaching style and puts it into the pages of the book. The writing is conversational and light in tone, but covers all the material in a thorough way that makes it easy to learn. It is also filled with new examples and suggestions that deepened my understanding of how Sleight of Mouth can be used in many contexts, including conflict integration.

In my opinion the title of the book, "The User's Guide to Sleight of Mouth," is very accurate because, while it is relatively short - like a guide book - it is a huge contribution to my being able to actually USE this material in my real life. I have already noticed myself using it in business meetings and seeing very rewarding results.

I am delighted to give both Doug and this new book my highest recommendation!

Frank Clark

Entrepreneur
Co-founder, Cytosorbents, Inc. (Formerly RenalTech International - Medical Device company)
Founder, New York Power Team
Financial Advisor
on September 17, 2012
Truthfully I was skeptical about 'Sleight' before I decided to get this book. There are more than a few books about persuasion and Neuro-Linguistic Programming and while many of them are interesting, I felt they didn't offer specific practical strategies and tools you can use and remember immediately without a vast amount of knowledge. This book does that task well, especially compared to some training products which cost $100-$500 per training. This is $20. Well worth it if you ask me! I can spend that on a couple of energy bars and a large smoothie and not even flinch.

After trying it at work in sales and also with helping a few friends, it becomes clear that this stuff definitely works. And who doesn't like being right or being helpful? I do. If you don't like being right or helpful, don't get this book! To me it's as simple as that.

If you've ever purchased a kitchen appliance, and had it do a specified task for you, this is what I'd liken sleight of mouth to. It's like an appliance for your conversations with a great simplified design and explanation booklet. You can technically toast bread without a toaster, you can probably mash together a smoothie without a blender, you can occasionally win an argument or persuade someone without sleight of mouth. But why not spend the $20 on a blender? This will help you process the ingredients of a conversation into your desired result, in a very immediate and effective way.

I really like that this book explains it in normal terms. It's advanced material, written for the every man. There is a great friendly quality to the writing so that you don't have to wonder whether you understand it or not. You can feel confident because it's all there on the page. The visual material really helped me to get it, having an icon representational chart at your fingertips that summarizes the whole tool kit. This has it.

I would say if you're reading the reviews, and considering buying it, and you already have some level of interest then it's worth getting. I'll easily spend that $20 on a movie ticket and snack, personally. And after the movie I will not have gained any skills to help me on my journey. This however you get to keep for life. It's very entertaining to win arguments, and it's enjoyable to help people. This will help you do both, everyday. Just my two cents.
on November 5, 2012
As a student of NLP I was introduced to Sleight of Mouth a long time ago. Very recently I attended a talk given by Robert DIlts, the co-developer of NLP who created of Sleight of Mouth, and was reminded of my interest in the subject. So I did a search on line to find more information, found this book by Doug O'Brien and decided to give it a try.
I am very glad I did. The book delivered exactly what it promised. It offers a very clear, easy to understand approach to using this material that has left me with a real feeling of competence in this area. Since reading the book and doing some of the exercises suggested by the author, I am noticeably more influential not only at my job but in my personal relationships as well. I have already recommended it to a number of my friends and colleagues and feel strongly that it is an invaluable road map for anyone on the road to maximum persuasion skills.
on November 7, 2012
As a student of NLP I was introduced to Sleight of Mouth a long time ago. Very recently I attended a talk given by Robert Dilts, the co-developer of NLP who created of Sleight of Mouth, and was reminded of my interest in the subject. So I did a search on line to find more information, found this book by Doug O'Brien and decided to give it a try.
on May 14, 2012
I was introduced to NLP through the work of Tony Robbins. I have read his books, listened to his CDs and have attended his seminars. After meeting Richard Bandler in March of 2012, he referred me to the work of Doug O'Brien. My first purchase was the Sleight of Mouth CD Set & Workbook. After listening to the CDs and going through the workbook, I was hungry for more so I purchased the Sleight of Mouth book. The combination of all three forms of media made it really easy to understand the concept of Sleight of Mouth.

If you have ever wondered how Robbins and Bandler are able to do pattern interrupts, the Sleight of Mouth book is for you. If you are not able to attend a live event on Sleight of Mouth with Doug O'Brien, get this material and study it. Not only will it show you how to influence others, it will also help you to examine your own beliefs.
on April 29, 2013
Brilliant book . Shows the actual methods we use to initiate cognition. Few of us wonder how we finish up in unwanted situations, we excuse the result by saying people are different, this does not help! we need to understand specifically HOW to do communication better. this book shows how. Need I say more,... yes.... BUY IT..... USE IT.
on October 27, 2012
This "guide" is 133 pages...for $18. Really? I would stick to the classic original of the same title by Robert Dilts.

This is a very basic approach. If you are looking for the "cliff notes" of sleight of mouth then this is it. I personally don't think it's worth $18 for such a short book on the topic. I suppose if one is very short on time and only wants to get to the meat of it then it's worth it. But it really is more of a summary, so if you want to fully understand the subject I'd read the original book by Dilts.
1212 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2016
I love NLP. I've had graduate classes in NLP and own a number of books.Got 3/4 way though this one and decided to find another book. Seemed somewhat overly complicated and confusing. Really wanted to say something good, but...
on May 5, 2014
Yes, YES, this is great book. Its easy to read and has wonderful aids to help with the reading. In addition, the author does a magnificent job of synthesizing and presenting the information in absorbable manner. This subject is must for personal life. It is useful for any profession and for relations.