5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book
Published on March 5, 2005 by Syd Logan

1.0 out of 5 stars Math Book
The book was the only one rated excellent in condition. Consequently was the highest price of all 10 available. When the book was received the lettering on the spine and front was unreadable and worn. I believe the rating was misleading and does not give me a good feeling about your selling process. It was also not the latest edition. Bob Conley
Published on June 26, 2010 by Miriam J. Conley

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, March 5, 2005
Syd Logan (Carlsbad, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
I have two editions of this text, both bought back in the 1980s, and it is one of the most amazing books I have ever owned. Over the years, time and again this book has delivered when I needed some quick facts and a refresher on material I may have learned elsewhere. The best part of it is that it is full of illustrations, important when one is trying to obtain intuition on a subject. Not much is missed here, at least as of the date of publishing. Facts that might require pages and pages to uncover in a more comprehensive title on a subject, e.g., differential calculus, are all packed within a few pages in this title, making it a good reference.

I was suprised to see this title is out of print. Hopefully it makes a comeback. So much information never took up so little shelf space as this book. For those who love mathematics, this is a must buy in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books on Earth, July 25, 2006
Quadricode (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
If you can get your grubby hands on this book, DO IT.

This book is AMAZING. I really fell in love with it when I checked it out of my middle school library. It was dusty, and no one had checked it out for...TWENTY-FIVE YEARS. I checked it out...and ended up checking it out for the year. Sadly, they did not let me buy it from them. But, to my luck, I found one when I was on ... vacation! Though, it is in poor condition.

This book has so much information. It is very compact and dense. It uses about...hmm...three colors, and black. Each color means something different. For example, each thing in a blue background means it is a sample problem or example. The colors make it absolutely fantastic, and readable.

This has a pretty good overview of A LOT of mathematics up to about 1980. That is, there is no fractal geometry and stuff. And take the word 'overview' lightly...it can get pretty in-depth.

I wish they made these kind of books today, where content and quality is more important than eye-candy and superficial explanation.

Get this book if you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Text for Learning, Review and Reference of Mathematics, September 20, 2007
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
I purchased this book new in 1980. It is one of the best math reference books I have seen and that I own. It's coverage is quite broad and rigorous and it treats each subject with care and often works from first principles and introduces the applications and often the historical context. I used it extensively during college and keep it here at work for reference when I need to get up to speed in a certain area of mathematics.

I was a double major in physics and mathematics as an undergraduate and kept this nearby at all times. Of course some texts provide more detail in specific areas, but this is definitely one of the best, if not the best reference review mathematics book available. Very few books or sets of books have the breadth or scope of this book and the technical depth and rigorousness without becoming pedantic or obtuse.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in mathematics or would like a good mathematics reference book that covers most topics that might be of interest. The only issue is that the book was written in 1977 and so does not cover some topics that have been expanded on and become popular since that time. Fractals, computational proofs of theorems, etc.

This is the math book I wish I had in high school or middle school, but I didn't get it until college and it wasn't out in print until late in my high school years anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reference that I have used often and will never be without, June 1, 2008
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
I purchased my copy of this book in the late seventies and it is the reference work that I have used most often since that time. Nearly all the areas of basic mathematics are covered and I used it when I was teaching mathematics full time in the eighties. I also found it invaluable when I was solving problems that appeared in math journals and now use it extensively in my role as co-editor of Journal of Recreational Mathematics.
This book, or a subsequent edition when this copy wears out, will always be within arms length on my reference shelf when I am doing mathematics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Athena, Coeus, Eidyia, and Metis conspired with Prometheus to deliver this book to us, August 18, 2013
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
U.S. math education is generally abysmal, and I am one of the millions who found it so when I was a student. Quite by chance, I discovered this book shortly after its publication. What a joy it has been! Why did I have to find a book of German origins in order to finally "get" math?

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and in fact I am here picking up a copy for a college student suffering from the inadequacies of our educational system.

If you are interested in math, using math, loving math, or struggling with math, this book should be among your resources. I have a personal library of thousands of volumes, on a wide range of subjects, many of them highly technical and esoteric. This is one of the books which truly stands out in my collection.

(Incidentally, for those "reviewers" who obsess about such things over and above book content, the white ink has deteriorated on the spine of every copy I have ever seen. If you actually think this matters in some way I suggest the Martha Stewart 32307 Adhesive Stencil, Typewriter and a copy of The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder )

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and substantive math reference, December 20, 2012
T. Dewey (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
It is a terrible shame that this book is OOP. This, the first edition, covers in suprising detail (given the fact the book has only 723 substantive pages - the remaining pages are color plates and tables) pretty much every math subject the undergraduate STEM major is likely to encounter with the exception of Game Theory (fixed in the Second Edition, see below) Laplace Transforms, & Tensor Analysis. It is not perfect: some information is dated (e.g. the Four Color Problem hadn't been solved when this book was published), in the section on logarithims there is a short sub-section on the basic use of slide rules and (probably most impotantly) there is only a very limited Table of Integrals.

Still, if you're a STEM major don't let that stop you, you want to own this book - you just don't know that you want to own this book yet - so buy it (or the Second Edition). It presents its many topics in a clear and concise way with numerous examples and many, many hand-drawn diagrams (which you won't see in today's textbooks). Finally the encyclopedia is organized by subject matter not alphabetically which makes it much, much easier to use. In Part II (Steps towards Higher Mathetmatics), Set Theory is naturally listed first; the section on the Definite Integral is in the section on Integration and the section on Power Series falls immediately after the section on Integration; in so there's no need to constantly move back and forth, what you need is where you need it.

If there's an area of math that you're weak or which you want to know more about or which you need a quick referesher this little boook will get you up to speed. Can't recommend enough!

(Note. there was a second edition in 1990 that added a section on game theory and on 1980's era computing that tends to be a little more expensive then the first edition - I think most folks will find the first edition sufficient).

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is more interesting to me now than it was ten years back., July 8, 2011
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
If I had a decade to organize my class notes, illustrated with beautiful color diagrams, this would be the end product.

This is the third copy I purchased (for myself).

5.0 out of 5 stars VN R Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics, May 3, 2013
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
This is an interesting work for any student or professionAL. The book makes use of a color coded scheme
where defnitions and formulas are in yellow, examples are in blue color, and theorems in red. The
organization of the book is historical, with the last part given to modern mathematics developments.
A real assest to a technical writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars VNR CONSISE ENCYC OF MATH, October 24, 2011
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
I purchsed this book in 1978 - I still use it today. If you want/need a reference then this is it 5 Stars...

4.0 out of 5 stars VNR concise encyclopedia of mathematics, May 20, 2002
J. Chris Matzen "cmatzen" (Bremerton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (Hardcover)
This book was published in 1977 and that is the main shortcoming.
Nothing about fractals, for instance.
But for a broad and brief review of anything mathematical, complete with extensive graphs and diagrams, this is a great value in a used book.
...

The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics
The VNR Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics by W. Gellert (Hardcover - April 30, 1977)
Used & New from: $0.26