Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon January 19, 2011
I said in my review of Shadow Souls that it was time for L.J. Smith to hand over The Vampire Diaries series to someone else and work on an other series. I meant it in the best possible way, I like her books and want those that have her name on them to be good and to continue to be published. It feels like she's going off track and maybe her heart just isn't in this series anymore. Her other stuff is dying for some attention where as people working on this series on tv are doing a good job with saving it in my eyes. This book / line in the series is a good example of that. With the newer "Return" line of the series (which she is writing) I feel like I am reading because I have some sick devotion to the series, a "well I have to know what happens to the characters I love" thing.. But this (which she isn't writing) well I sincerely can't get enough.

It's a darker and grittier story than the books usually have been but very much in line with the television show. They are newly made. Loving the fact that they'll be young and beautiful and powerful forever. Hating it. Feeling betrayed. Wanting to kill kill kill. And not wanting to, preferring to die themselves. Oh wait, that's just Damon.

Yes, we learn how they change. How they become who they are as we see them today (again I cannot say this enough - this particular series is clearly meant for fans of the tv show but works for fans of the main book series too). The plot of this one is simple - the boys have been run out of town for being demons. Damon wants to die, resenting what Stefan has made him, resents the loss of Katherine, is angry, depressed, sulking, etc. Stefan, however, is enjoying his new life. They catch a train to New Orleans but split up once there as their different ideas of being a vampire and all of the anger are no good. Of course, nothing ever just ends just like that. One of them ends up captured and in danger. The other must play the hero. Along the way they must decide what it means to be vampire. If they have any humanity left. If vampires and humans can mix. If they're even still brothers and friends.

I cannot wait for the third one. The best thing L.J. Smith did was let someone write this line for her. I hope she's off pushing for the newest Night World novel to get to us or even something new as she's brilliant when she's doing her thing, same as whoever took this one over is.
on January 28, 2011
I love the Vampire Diaries TV series and have already read Origins. I couldn't wait for this book to come out and I was not disappointed. I read this book in 2 days. I find it facinating the story that is unfolding between Damon and Stefan. The struggles that they are going through and what is shaping the characters that we have seen on TV. The show makes so much more sense after reading these two books.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that is a fan of the Vampire Diaries TV series. I will most certainly buy Cravings when it comes out in the next few months.
on May 22, 2011
I enjoyed Bloodlust a lot! It begins two weeks after Stefan and Damon become vampires. Stefan is feeding on the local girls he used to be friends with, and Damon refuses to eat anything. It was really interesting to see Damon being the "good" vampire. On the show he acts like he doesn't care about anyone, or anything, but that isn't true. He just does not let people see his insecurities. One scene in Bloodlust really struck me as ironic:
"Vampires kill. It's what we do brother," I said calmly, my gaze locking on Damon's blue eyes.
"It's what you do," he said. "Not me, Never me." (p. 46)
For anyone who watches the show, Damon and Stefan are the opposite of what they say right here. Damon is the monster who doesn't care who he hurts, and Stefan is the brooding, emo one, who will only eat deers and squirrels.

In Bloodlust, Stefan and Damon head to New Orleans where Stefan meets his BFF Lexi!!!! I was so excited to learn how they became friends. Ever since Lexi was staked by Damon in season 1, I wanted to learn more about her, and be able to spend more time with Lexi and Stefan together!

In Bloodlust we learn how and why this switch between the brothers occurred. I would recommend this book to any hardcore Vampire Diaries fan. You don't really need to read the first volume, unless you want too, but it isn't a necessity if you know the TV show.
on December 29, 2013
This was a page Turner for sure. It explains more about Lexi's and Stefan 's relationship/friendship than the show did.(This was a different meeting than what happened on the show though. I liked this one better.)Damon is caught (by a circus owner) and is being used for human entertainment and money. The only problem with this book is it was way too short!!!!
on March 14, 2011
I am not a fan of the original books at all. I thought they were very boring and had to make myself read them just so I could find out what would happen. That being said I will continue to read them all as I am a fan of this series but I enjoyed Stefan's Diaries way more. I am a HUGE fan of the show and even though this set of books does not follow the show very much I really like the story of Damon and Stefan and how they became the way they are towards each other. I am also glad we got to learn more about Lexi although it is different than the way the show makes her past with Stefan out to be. I really like her character and wish she would have been a bigger part of the show. I do hope that we will get more of Damon soon. Maybe Damon's Diaries? I want to know his side and his feelings especially when he makes the decision about ending his ties with Stefan in such a sad way. I also wish these books were longer and were more true to the show but I still think they are a great read and can't wait for more.
on March 25, 2013
I enjoy the tv series, so these books have been good to fill out the background information on the past of the Salvatore brothers. It helps you understand where the 2 are coming from, and how that may affect their futures. The writing is good. It will be interesting to see how my interest is held as I read on in the series.
on April 22, 2011
After I read this book and LJ SMith's series books I still come to the same conclusion.....That I want Damon and Elena together...I just feel sooo sorry for Damon and all the crap he has been through...He deserves some happiness......Stefan is not a bad guy but he makes some bad decisions because he cares too much......Like he loved Katherines soooo much and then in the end he ended up ranting her out (bad decision) and then he fell for Callie(bad decision) while her father tortured Damon....SO if Damon in the end ends up with Elena it will not hurt my feelings one bit......Stefan has had so many chances at love and whereas Damon's never loved him back nor excepted him for the good man he once was.........So I'm Team Delena all the way.
on April 7, 2013
Stefan Salvatore is a wonderful character,and Paul Wesley plays him so well on TVD. When you read Stefan's diary #2, you can envision Paul as Stefan doing these things. Diaries are fun to read, and this one is no exception. You follow Stefan along on his journey as a vampire, learning as he does. Very cool book!
on May 24, 2014
My 14 year old daughter absolutely loves this series of books. She has seen them all on tv and says that the books are very different. I would recommend only if you like variety, if you want the book to be just like the show then you may be disappointed.
on May 19, 2011
I watched the series before I started reading this series. I figured I should start with the stefan's diaries.Just finished this book kindle edition. liked getting a little back story on the beginnings of the salvatore's. and their dislike for each other. and the introduction of lexi and her friendship with stefan. worked in well with the tv series. Just started the 3rd book and its looking good so far.