Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

Right so I love L.J. Smith when she's at the top of her game, really I do. I've read most of her books (I think I missed one or two but I'd have to check - all of the big ones and even some not as well known, I've read). So I'm having a really hard time here. I was in the middle of the last book she'd written (The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Midnight) and just couldn't get through it. I was really feeling like the Vampire Diaries as a book series was dead for me. I'd stopped, read other books, gone back to it, stopped again. Then I get the e-mail from Amazon reminding me hey this is on your Kindle. Okay maybe this is what I need - those last two Stefan's diary books were pretty good.

Yes! The vamps are *cough* alive and well. And this is why I have such a problem with it. It's clearly not L.J. Smith. Her name does appear on the books - along with two others. I'm unclear on how much input she had in this arc of the series but given that she has now been fired from the books and how totally different the style is from her recent Vampire Diaries books I can only assume not very much. If I am wrong, I apologize but sadly this version is 100% better than the last arc she wrote alone which I seemed to be buying solely on some sort fan devotion and not because I felt they were good. This though is truly good.

The Salvatore brothers both end up in New York. Coincidence? Or is one maybe planning on toying with the other? Stalking the other? They do both end up connected to a high society family - surely that is a coincidence? And as always they end up wondering if they are really each others biggest problems or if they need to play nice with each other -- if there are things out there so much bigger and badder they are, so maybe they at least need to pretend to be friends again if only long enough to figure out what in the heck is happening around them.

So long as these books keep going this route, I'm in - whoever has taken over has figured out what was missing. Hopefully now that L.J. Smith is free of them she can find whatever it is she was missing in her future books, which I am also in for.
on May 20, 2011
I've loved this series of books. I've only read the Stefan Diaries series,which is just as well by the sounds. By all reports the other Vampire Diaries books are vastly different (in a bad way) from this series. I can assure fans of the TV series that these books are great and give a great insight into the dynamic behind Stefan and Damons relationship. Only negative is that they are far too short!! Hope there is a volume 4 on the way ASAP.
on May 15, 2011
I agree with what another reviewer said about not being able to get through the other set of VD books. I thought they just got worse and worse. I am really enjoying this set of Stefan's Diaries though. They are written so much better and I can't put them down. I do wish they were longer. I kinda thought they would follow the show a little more than they have but that's ok cause they are still a great read. I didn't want to read them at first because of L.J. Smith's name being on them but I am a huge fan of the show so I decided to give it a try. I felt that she ruined the last set of books but that is just my opinion.
on September 5, 2013
The Vampire Diary books are beginning to feel a little formulaic. When I buy them, I know what I will get, but I still can't help but enjoy them. Smith uses the same recipe for each of the Vampire Diaries and, I guess, it makes sense because "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" That being said, it would be nice to feel as if the author was putting her heart and soul into the writing; and I don't. The stories are beginning to all feel the same; sexy boys - conflict between the brothers - brothers need each other to fight villainous third party, yada yada yada.

So, if I'm so dissatisfied, why did I give the book four stars? Because, despite the rote story line, I like being in Stephan and Damon's world. I like it even more when dull-as-dishwater Elaina isn't around. I'll probably being around buying Stefan's Diaries #25 and complaining about the same thing. As a side note to author: I love bad boy, Damon - will he be sharing his diary? Or, was he too busy being bad to write in a book?
on January 4, 2014
Mainly this book was about Stefan saving a girl(I don't really remember her name because in the end it doesn't really matter) and his struggle balancing his vampire nature & his repentant (trying to be good nature)His brother well Damon is Damon and the first mention of Klaus.It would have been much better if Klaus would have been in it more.
on September 28, 2012
I have read the first two of the Stefan's diaries, and couldn't wait to read the third. Well worth the wait. I love the Vampire Diaries TV show, and I also love the books. what a wonderful series, but in print and on television. Long may it last! Before I purchased this book, I would have liked to know if it was like the first 2. I assumed it was, and it was. It was written much the same as the first 2. If you enjoyed them, you will enjoy this one. A great read.
on January 5, 2012
I love this series, hearing the stories behind how they became vampires is really cool. These are great short books that talk about what happened to make Damon as well Stefan become a vampire as well as details about how all it went down. Its really great to read behind the show.
on June 13, 2011
I was anticipating this book and ordered it the day it came out (and read it all on the same day). I love this series. I like the way it goes with the TV series, especially the closer we got to the end of season 2. I hope there is more to come!
on August 12, 2011
This little series is based off the show, not really the actual series like I had thought. It was still good to read the three, you got a better sense of who Stefan was, which was great. But overall, it was just okay to read :)
on January 15, 2014
I really loved these diaries as it was great to go back in time to see how Stefan and Damon were before they were vampires and how they met Katherine. It was sad to see how much Damon hated Stefan for turning him but there was always hope they would rekindle their 'friendship'. Stefan was always looking for his 'place' and struggled with his new lifestyle and could never quite be happy. Both brothers always seem to get together to try conquer evil. It was so interesting to see the witches start to ease into the story, as I wondered when this would happen.