Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 29, 2012
I listened to this on audio, Xe Sands is a wonderful narrator. Sands is the only reason I got to the end of this tedious book. I felt some admiration for Sands, that she did not go into a coma reading it. The story started out with potential, and then fell into confusion, and craziness.
It was difficult to follow the variety of characters, not a single one of them was even remotely interesting. At one point I thought the entire story was about the madness of all of them, and the entire scenario, was taking place in Julia's mind withing a mental hospital. Really a boring, and unnecessarily long and drawn out book. This is not a book I recommend. I give it two stars, because of the excellent narrator.
on April 2, 2012
I have found so many great books because of Amazon's excellent recommendations, but regrettably, this one was a stinker. The summary sounded enticing. The very early scenes were promising. Then it seemed to bog down. I stuck with it hoping it would improve, but it never did. The plot is convoluted, characters not who they appear to be, which maybe could have been mysterious and intriguing, but in this writer's hands, it just was not. It never grabbed me in the slightest. By the time it wrapped up, with all the requisite twists and surprises, I really didn't care. I think I am a pretty easy reader to please, but I found this book very disappointing.
on July 18, 2015
Agree with other reviews that jacket is a bit misleading - not really much about a mother-daughter relationship, and summary sounds more intriguing than the book ends up being. Plot is also disjointed, and her writing has a few blatant mistakes, which is always irritating. For example on page 105-106 of the original hardcover, the protagonist draws herself a bath twice in the same scene.

I think that that this is one of those cases where the writer didn't put herself in the place of her target audience, such that it is uninteresting and doesn't make much sense to your average reader. Also like I said above just some sloppiness and poor editing.
on March 15, 2013
So who was the main character's mother? I trudged to the bitter, bitter end and still don't understand the plot. Really, can someone please sort out the twisted plot lines? Maybe that's it!!! The plot and my kindle money were the ....Vanishers!!!!!
on April 11, 2013
To say the least,I could not find my way through this book. Of the members of my book club, only two managed to read it. The reviewer read it twice and did an excellent job of trying to make sense of it. The three strands of this book are suicide,mental illness, and the paranormal. Two of our group were upset by this book since their mothers had committed suicide. I have no intention of picking up this book again since there are great books to read.
on May 11, 2012
***SPOILERS**

This was a mish mash of characters (who were really other characters) and events that were not as they seemed. Julia waffled around from country to country, manipulatedby the other characters and never really stood on her own two feet and picked a direction for herself. It seemed like Julavits was trying too hard to be clever.
on July 8, 2014
A very strange storyline that is written as if "psychic attacks" are an everyday occurrence. I read it because I wanted to find out how it ended but I wouldn't recommend it.
on March 22, 2014
I didn't become invested in any of the characters. I had a difficult time getting motivated to continue reading it.
on November 10, 2015
Tried very hard to read it and got three quarters through but it was just too dense.
on March 28, 2012
I was open to the premise of the book and it was apparent from the beginning that the author is an exceptionally talented writer. With that said, I was very disappointed at how the story unfolded. It was often confusing and painful to read.