In this second volume of the best-selling Vault of Walt series, Disney historian Jim Korkis entertains and enlightens with over two dozen stories about Disney films, Disney theme parks, and of course, Walt Disney himself.
As well-known Disney authority Lou Mongello writes in the foreword, the stories "in this book are ones only Jim can weave - and told in the way only he can tell them." In a style accessible but authoritative, and brimming with a delight for Disney, Jim takes you behind the scenes for:
- A ride through EPCOT's Spaceship Earth for a closer look at graffiti, bare breasts, and evil twins.
- The bare-knuckles battle between Walt Disney and P.L. Travers over Mary Poppins
- The real story of The Jungle Cruise, what Humphrey Bogart had to do with it, and how Walt once got cheated by an impatient skipper.
- The life-long hatred between Walt and Bugs Bunny creator Friz Freleng over a boil on Freleng's butt.
- How Roy O. Disney took over a demoralized company after his brother Walt's death and built a fantasyland from swampland.
- Why even the mention of a dismal cartoon that Walt created in the 1930s drove him to fury.
And many more! Any Disney fan curious about the history not told (and sometimes buried!) by the Disney Company, and not found in other books that merely scratch the surface of Disney's rich but often forgotten past, will find it here, presented in short, self-contained chapters that span Walt's earliest years through the present.
Despite Jim Korkis's love for Disney, there's no sugarcoating atop these stories. You'll get the warts and the wizardry, the playful and the pungent, the magical and the heretical - but most of all, you'll get what really happened, because those are the best stories of all.