5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this cookbook is amazing!
Published on November 21, 2010 by Christina

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review
Published on November 14, 2010 by Shirleen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow this cookbook is amazing!, November 21, 2010
This review is from: The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur: Over 140 Simply Delicious Recipes That Treat the Eyes and Taste Buds (Hardcover)
I have been a vegan for a long time now and love to cook. Vegan baking though has always kind of scared me. I haven't had great success in the past and it really put me off attempting it. However, Vegan Cookie Connoisseur totally inspires me! It is such a cute, creative and adorable book. The photos were so lovely to behold and writing so friendly that I dedicated last Sunday to bake as much as I could and get over my phobia once and for all. I made the Snickerdoodles, Oatmeal Scotchies (substituted with chocolate chips) and Crispy Pumpkin cookies. When I was a kid my sisters who are both quite good at baking used to make Snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies all the time and I have to say that the recipes Kelly provided COMPLETELY lived up to my childhood memories. My husband never had Snickerdoodles before and now he is obsessed with them. So perfect, that's all I can say. Melt in your mouth perfect. The oatmeal chip cookies are also simply delicious. The pumpkin cookies are perfectly spiced. Even my husband who isn't a big fan of pumpkin loves them. I seriously couldn't believe that I attempted vegan baking, had 3 out of 3 recipes success, and had fun in the process. We only have a household of two, so we put all the extra cookies in the freezer and found that they hold up very well that way. We can grab a couple each night without feeling required to eat them all up, though we were seriously tempted! This Sunday I just made the Lemon Poppy Seed and the Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies. The Lemon Poppy Seed cookies are very delicate and light have wonderful lemon flavor. The Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies are the best cookies I have ever had in my entire life. Crunchy and chewy, not overly sweet and perfectly flavored with a hint of cayenne kick. I used to love those Mexican hot chocolate bars when I was a kid and these cookies are totally spot on. I really can't get over how phenomenal this book is. It is hardcover, but not hard to rest in a book holder and read from while baking. The instructions are easy and there are pictures for each recipe so you know what to expect. The sheer variety of recipes (140 in all) really impresses me and Kelly has a real flair for decoration and styling her pictures. We wanted to make the root beer float cookies (that picture is sole reason I purchased this book), but root beer extract was out of stock at my grocery store. Well that is my mission next weekend to track some down and spend another joyful Sunday baking! If you are considering getting this book, do yourself and your family a favor and do it. With the holidays around the corner you will be glad you did! Thanks to Kelly Peloza for writing this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, December 8, 2010
Thank you, Kelly for this wonderful cookbook. I am allergic to eggs and I have been trying vegan recipes. I have made the soft chewy ginger cookies, soft peanut butter cookies and the pink lemonade cookies. All three recipes were great. All of the ingredients were in my kitchen, no special items. I would strongly recommend this cookbook! Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to make friends with co-workers?, December 27, 2010
I've made over sixty of these recipes so far and since I shouldn't eat that many my workplace has been basking in a sugar-y glow. The almond kisses are wonderful, the faux thin mints wowed the staunchest anti-vegan, the orange cream bars disappeared (one recipe I hoard for myself), the snickerdoodles won over my now boyfriend, heck I've even used the sugar cookies in baking demonstrations and had people begging me where I got the recipe. This is my go-to book for cookies. Oh and by far my favorite cookie in the world is the sticky date and apple bars. They ship well too for all those lonesome vegans that don't have this book yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempting Vegan Sugarplums, November 7, 2010
Kelly Peloza proves that delicious and vegan aren't contradictory terms when it comes to creating cookies! Her vision of sugarplums are those without dairy milk, eggs or hydrogenated oils.
We were amazed at the range of vegan possibilities when it comes to cookie recipes, from Peanut Butter Cup cookies and Chocolate Marzipan Ravioli to Mocha Biscotti and Coconut Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies.
Gorgeous close-ups of the finished products look good enough to eat, so imagine how the real deal will taste. We predict Kelly Peloza is a name to watch in the world of vegan cooking and recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Vegan Cookie Hero, November 14, 2010
Laurel Vanblarcum (Waxahachie, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Okay so I've only made 4 of the recipes so far but I'm in love. This is the 5th Vegan cookie cookbook I've purchased and the only one that even comes close is "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar." Kelly's book has more scope, it is amazingly professional and has the best index in a Vegan book I've seen in quite some time. I've made some of these recipes gluten free and others with regular flour. I just got done baking some Oatmeal Raisin as they are my husband's favorite. That would be the very picky, very non-Vegan husband who is always criticizing new recipes. He ended up baking some himself because I only made a trayful and refrigerated the rest of the dough. I'd say he was a convert. I think my search for the perfect Vegan cookie book is over. Thanks Kelly you're my cookie baking hero, uh heroine? super hero? anyway my advise is to BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Cookies!, December 3, 2010
I ordered this cookbook on a whim- and I'm so glad I did. It is truly an amazing cookbook. I've tried 3 cookie recipes, and all turned out fantastic. One of the things I especially like is that there is a picture to go with every single recipe. All of the ingredients are also easy to find.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Review, November 14, 2010
Shirleen (Middleburgh, NY) - See all my reviews
I rated average for now because I really was looking forward to a whole book of vegan cookies, just in time for Christmas. That being said, the first I tried was PB Oatmeal-flawless. Then chocolate-chocolate bakery, again, excellent. Next up were Lemon Poppy, Ginger & Molasses. All three came out appearance wise more like slice 'n bake, flat topped disks, not like the photos. The Molasses dough was very crumbly & I had difficulty forming balls (I use a scoop). Too much flour in the recipes? Weight for flour would have been helpful. The next was Cashew Chip (one more to decide whether to return the book or not). This one was excellent, kinda macaroonish in texture/chewiness. Anyway, I'm gonna keep at it, so many others look good. I brought the lemon poppy & ginger to work, they went quicky, so taste isn't an issue. I am an experienced baker & find it annoying to have to tweak "tested" recipes. However, if a few more come out well, a couple misses out of over 140 isn't bad...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, June 16, 2011
I own a bazillion (maybe an exaggeration) vegan cookbooks and this is one of my favourites. I love the look of the book, hard cover, glossy pictures of lots of the recipes which is alwasy a bonus! I have tried a few and they all worked perfectly for me. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a great cookie, vegan or not! There is something for every taste and just reading through the book, which I did cover to cover, makes me drool because everything sounds so delicious. All of the ingredients are pantry staples for the most part and while some appeal to a more grown up taste there are loads that will appeal to kids too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Tasty Yumm!, March 15, 2011
Katy (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
Kelly has done her work and it has been worthwhile! I have tried over a dozen recipes in this book and I can happily say they are ALL amazing and delicious! All ingredients are readily available in the your local market. You can feed these cookies to non-vegan friends and they will exclaim, "WOW!" But you'll probably want to save them all for yourself.

Here are a few of our favorites:

Chewy Banana-Banana Cookies are such a yummy way to use up that one last banana that didn't get eaten. We ate a whole pan while they were cooking. Made them six times since then!

Soy Milk's Favorite Cookies = way better than Oreo. (I found rolling out the dough with a rolling pin and using a cookie cutter to be a more sensible approach for us. Plus it gave the toddler a fun task.

Vanilla Thumbprints! Yes! Just add some yummy Organic Berry jam or some spicy Ginger Apple jam. mmmm.

Giant Bakery Style Double Chocolate Cookies had 'em asking for more milk and cookies, please!

All recipes I used Almond milk instead of Soy milk with no problems. I have made some recipes with half Whole Wheat pastry flour with success. Kelly points out a one to one ratio of whole wheat and white is best, but to leave the ww out for some recipes.

I know you will enjoy this book!

Update 2012: I have baked several, several cookies from this book in the past year. Kelly continues to impress me and even my non- vegan friends. From the basic sugar cookies and oatmeal cookies to the creative swirls and caramel covered delights you can not go wrong! I am still a fan and going strong. EVERYONE should have this book and only this book so you can be just as excited about baking cookies as I am! You don't have be vegan or allergic to dairy to enjoy the treasures you will create with Kelly's help!

I recently loaned my book out and it doesn't seem to want to return. I will be purchasing a new copy to ensure Kelly gets her dues. Thank you Kelly for such an amazing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite!, March 11, 2011
Beautiful photos of every dessert. Plus, lovely written, personal descriptions of each recipe. This combo entices me to want to make every dessert in the book (and this book is loaded with recipes!). Many of the recipes have simple and few ingredients, making them a cinch to make with ingredients I've already got on-hand. Many recipes for "old favorites," plus, many desserts that are new to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›