5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE CLASSIC FILLED WITH A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Published on June 5, 2001 by Sandra D. Peters

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was looking for.
I love the story and it's my friend's favorite book. I was hunting for a gift for her that she'd like and ran into the cover of this thing wich is probably half of what drove you to buying it as well. After I bought it, I discovered that it only has seventeen pages. (The Original Book as like 47) And despite what the cover would suggest, some of the illustration is a bit...
Published on August 15, 2004 by D. B. Downey

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE CLASSIC FILLED WITH A VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE, June 5, 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
I seldom write reviews on children's books, although I love them with a passion. My children are now mothers and my grandchildren are past young childhood. However, I believe that somewhere deep inside each of us remains a small child that still loves fairy tales, cotton candy, and walking barefoot in the grass. This book was one of my children's favourites, along with "Charlotte's Web;" both were also my own personal favourites. When my children were six years old reading this book became a nighly adventure until I knew the words by heart. For the reviewer who rated the book with a one star due to a spelling error, my heart goes out to you; you have sadly missed something very important - the message. The book is not about spelling, editing or lack thereof; it is about encouragement and love.
The book tells the story of a toy, sawdust-filled rabbit who wishes with all his heart to become real. The message contained in this book is poignant, heart-warming and touching, and one that you will never foreget as long as you live. It is a story of beauty, wonder and love. Any child who misses out on "The Velveteen Rabbit" is missing out on one of life's greatest lessons. I cannot say enough good things about this wonderful, wonderful book and highly recommend it to children...and the grown-up child in all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original, October 30, 2011
I must say that I am amazed to find myself the first to comment on this edition of this jewel of a "children's" book. Along with the Bible, Great Expectations, The Power and the Glory, The Experience of Nothingness, The Stranger, Hamlet, The Once and Future King, the Quest for the Historical Jesus, Either/Or, Letters and Papers from Prison and The Cost of Discipleship, this humble "children's book" still stands as one of the most important books of my life. Odd?
I did not get books as a child -- we were far too poor. After barely surviving poverty and all that it sires, I found myself on my own at university in my mid-twenties amidst the confusion and tragedy that was the "60's". Getting out of the poverty trap had only introduced me to greater questions of being, choice, and action.
For my twenty-fifth birthday a particularly beautiful soul gave me a copy of The Velveteen Rabbit.
Nothing could have been a more fitting and benefiting gift. The conversation between the little rabbit and the wise old Skin Horse quite literally reduced me to tears -- the simple truth, life-long truth struck deep and stuck deep within me -- no sharp edges, no excessive needs.... In truth, even now as I await the tear-fairy for my own final transformation, I read it with the same pain in the throat and often give way to the tears as I read to the children in my life.
I cannot honestly say how many copies of this treasure I have owned and given away only to replace one with another to give away in time, as well. And I continue.
This edition, the first, has such beautiful illustrations so carefully placed as to shame all the late-comers with their "updates" which the gentle Miss Margery Williams would have no doubt kindly "set aside" in favour of the originals done for her with a quiet passion and dignity of the story itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I still love this book...I always will, October 24, 2000
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
These are the days of Sony Playstation 2 and Harry Potter, activites that do not really ever try to tell a great story that also gives a lesson without being preachy.
The Velveteen Rabbit is heartwrenchingly beautiful. The Rabbit who yearns to be Real and whose love for the boy was unconditional is both imaginative and sad. I cannot read this book without a lump coming to my throat and being transported to simpler days when the love of a toy was the greatest thing in the whole world.

This is a book with an ending that is mixed, that touches on the ambiguity of life and loss. But there is also hope of a new beginning. And I think children can understand that and grow from it.
I cherish this book deeply.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story for children, but appeals to adults, April 8, 2009
Mondo Dave (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
The prose is engaging and entertaining. It is the best kind of children's story -- appealing to adults. There are no pictures in this edition, but the text stands up very well on its own, and if you have not read it, it is well worth the time--such a quick and pleasant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite book!, June 18, 2000
Daughter Anna (now 19 years old) loved this book. It was her favorite above all others. As we sorted through some old kid things for give-away purposes, we stumbled upon this old, well worn copy of "The Velveteen Rabbit." She insisted we keep the book for HER children.
This was her book that Mama (me!) had to read to her again and again and again. As soon as the last word was read on the last page, it was "Mama, please read it again!"
(how I miss those days, by the way!)
The book also has a powerful message about Love that children understand and cherish.
This is a wonderful book. No child should be without their own copy of "The Velveteen Rabbit."

5.0 out of 5 stars The most inspirational story that I've ever read., March 21, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
This is a heartwarming story about a toy rabbit filled with sawdust that wants to be real. He realizes what the meaning of "real" is when his owner, a young boy, gives him the answer for which he searches. My wife bought this book for me last month. I missed it as a child. I've learned the lesson in this book in traditional ways, by trial and error. I would have loved to have this treasure as a child and thank my beautiful wife, Lori, for giving it to me, now. Only real love has any meaning or longevity, at all. I ask you readers to not pass up this gem of a book. It is a must for children and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, sweet and a must for children of all ages, October 21, 2004
M. Cordovilla "rustycat96" (brooklyn, md United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
This was my mother's favorite story, so she read it to me as a child and I really never appreciated it as much as when I was older and read it to my children... maybe that's the way it's supposed to go? My son used to grab this book from his shelf a lot for me to read to him - and it was just to see mommy cry (I always cry when I read this book), he knew the book by heart and coached me when my throat was too tight to speak through the 'emotional' parts. He surprised me last year in 1st grade when he took the book into class to read to his classmates (I didn't know he took it). His teacher called me up telling me how much of a good reader he is... and that he cried when he read the book to his classmates... wow. Books seldom leave a mark, but this one sure does... sorta like a legacy. This book makes me 'real'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of the childrens classics, June 7, 2009
Very sweet and well written story - makes me wonder why these and other childrens classics are not as widely read in schools or sold in book stores. I looked for one of my favorites, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, (Hans Christian Anderson) but could not find it at Barnes & Noble. It's too bad because these classics are so much better written with more life lessons for kids than today's popular fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's wonderful every time I read it!, November 20, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
I make sure I use this book with each class I teach--3rd and4th graders. They always get it--that love makes us real, too. Theymake the connection between the Skin Horse becoming shabby and people getting old. I always bring in my stuffed velveteen rabbit I bought years ago and it starts making the rounds and popping up on different children's laps. It is a pleasure to see them become attached to the rabbit instead of "mechanical toys that were very superior, and looked down upon everyone else." They also relate to the lessons the Velveteen Rabbit learns from the Skin Horse about how becoming real is a painful process sometimes and can take a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over., February 21, 2002
This review is from: The Velveteen Rabbit (Hardcover)
To label The Velveteen Rabbit as simply a children's book would not do it much justice. I've read this story many times over and have gotten friends and other family members to enjoy it as well. I guess I wouldn't have related so much to this story had I not seen it unfold in front of my very eyes for the past 16 years.
Teddy, for my sister knew no better names for teddy bears at the time, is a two foot tall pink bunny rabbit my sister got when she was about seven. At the time, Teddy was sitting on a shelf in a large department store looking out at the hustle and bustle of customers go by. My sister must've gone by that shelf three or four times before asking a store clerk help her bring it down. It was at that point that she decided she wasn't going to go home without it. She clung on to Teddy's neck defensively while approaching mom as if Teddy was body armor she couldn't live without. "But you have so many of them already!" protested my mom. "This one is different," pouted my sister. Teddy is cotton-stuffed rabbit, covered with short yarn hairs of dull pink. She wore a white-turquoise sweater that covered her round bushy tail at the back. It was my sister's velveteen rabbit. "Ok fine," mom conceded. From that day forward, I saw as much of Teddy as I have my sister. They're inseparable.
As the Skin Horse in the book said "Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." Teddy too has grown threadbare in places and isn't as fluffy as she used to be. Her eyes have gotten dull from rubbing and scratching. Her neck has grown thin and fragile, but my sister loves her all the same if not even more. To my sister, Teddy was made real a long time ago. It's only more recently that I've come to realize that Teddy has become part of the family. My sister was right. Teddy is different. Different from all the other toys we've had in the past. Teddy is real.
After reading this book, I realize that love is a journey. Perhaps not one from make-believe to reality, but from belief to truth. There are many ways to interpret the lessons from this book. I have several. And my take away has been if you truly believe in your love for someone and care about them, then in time it will become the truth that need not be spoken and will last forever. Applied to life, if you believe so much in something that you are willing to stick it out regardless of what other people think, then it becomes the truth that most people never find in their lives. If you have a dream, believe in it, work towards it and live it.
This is a timeless must-read for any reader.

The Velveteen Rabbit: Or How Toys Become Real
The Velveteen Rabbit: Or How Toys Become Real by Gennady Spirin (Paperback - January 22, 2008)
$7.99