4.0 out of 5 stars Should fit the needs of most casual fans
Given Billy Idol's "Greatest Hits" (2001) came out a mere seven years ago, it seems kind of odd that a second compilation album is out now with "The Very Best of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself" (2008). After all, since the last greatest hits, Billy's only released one more album, the underappreciated, hard rocking "Devil's "Playground," (2005) so what's the point...
Published on July 3, 2008 by Daniel Ferguson-Maltzman

2.0 out of 5 stars FORGOT TO BE A "A DIFFERENT GREATEST HITS PACKAGE"
Published on July 19, 2008 by Grappler

4.0 out of 5 stars Should fit the needs of most casual fans, July 3, 2008
This review is from: The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself (Audio CD)
Given Billy Idol's "Greatest Hits" (2001) came out a mere seven years ago, it seems kind of odd that a second compilation album is out now with "The Very Best of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself" (2008). After all, since the last greatest hits, Billy's only released one more album, the underappreciated, hard rocking "Devil's "Playground," (2005) so what's the point?

Necessary or not, "Idolize Yourself" is still a strong compilation that's probably a cut above the first "Greatest Hits."

18 tracks total, "Idolize Yourself" contains almost an identical track listing as "Greatest Hits," except that "Rebel Yell (acoustic)" and a cover of the Simple Minds "(Don't You) Forget about me" are left off, and replaced with "Speed" from the soundtrack of the same name (1994), "World Comin' Down" from "Devils Playground" as well as two new songs "John Wayne" and "New Future Weapon." While the Simple Minds cover is missed, the loss of "Rebel Yell (acoustic)" isn't that big a deal.

Much like "Greatest Hits," "Idolize Yourself" does a pretty good job at selecting the hits and best tracks from Idol's first three albums "Billy Idol," (1982) "Rebel Yell" (1983) and "Whiplash Smile," (1986) although a more dedicated listener will probably want to get all three of those albums as they are all worth owning and contain many gems that aren't as well known. I do have to say, however, that I am displeased that the radio edit of "Don't Need a Gun" is included here instead of the album version (from "Whiplash Smile"). While it's only about a minute or so shorter and may not seem like a big deal--it is. The radio edit really misses something, as Stevens awesome solo is cut short.

I also have a bone to pick with the selections from some of the later day albums. While you have to include "Cradle of Love," from "Charmed Life," (1990) "Idolize Yourself" would have been better served if it had left off the cover of the Doors "LA Woman," as it is just plain terrible. Yes, it was a hit, but a hit to forget. "The Loveless" or "Prodigal Blues" are far stronger and would have made better choices.

"Idolize Yourself" also could have done without "Shock to the System." That song as well as all of "Cyberpunk" (1993) just plain sucks. Hey if Van Halen didn't acknowledge "3," on their best of anthology, Mr. Idol can do the same for his one misguided venture.

It's also a shame that only one track from "Devil's Playground" is included as that album is pretty killer. On the plus side, however, is the inclusion of the excellent "Speed," which has been hard to come by.

The two new songs, the moody new-wave-ish "John Wayne" and the hard rocking "New Future Weapons" are pretty solid and should please most Idol enthusiasts.

In conclusion, while some tracks could have been left off and others included, "Idolize Yourself" is still an excellent compilation that should fit the needs of most casual fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome DVD in the set!, June 26, 2008
Vivian Miller "lady of the lake" (Enchanted Forest, Tallahassee, FL) - See all my reviews
This CD/DVD set has the fantastic Billy Idol videos that we loved on MTV! I'm thrilled to be able to watch these videos again, with beautiful quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!!!!, June 26, 2008
I have been a Billy fan since I was a kid, and he just gets better with age!!! John Wayne is a GREAT song, one of the best songs out there right now! All his greatest hits are on here, and are still great to listen to after all these years!!
The videos are AWESOME!! Just really takes you back to younger, more care-free days of watching MTV and listening to all your favorite CASSETTES and ALBUMS. Billy's voice has always made me shiver, and when you can actually SEE that perfect specimen snarling at you, life is pretty darn SWEET!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THe DVD is worth it!!!!, July 25, 2008
I own 3 of Mr IDOL's GREATEST compilations ( VITAL IDOL, GREATEST HITS and Idol songs 11 of the best) and probably you also own at least one of the 5 greatest hits By BIlly
but this is the best one;by far WHY? because it has the killer dvd together!incluiding great,excellent masterpieces of an era that wont come back,.(raw outrageous videos full of power and glory)
The DVD makes this package WORTH!!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Make Me Scream!", July 4, 2008
The only reason I gave the DVD 4 stars is it didn't include "Scream" and "White Wedding" is still censored. I remember watching W W on MTV when it was 1st released and it had the wedding ring being put on the (Perri's?) finger & drawing blood. Wonder if that was deleted because of the powers that be or if Billy wanted it that way.Did go see Billy on 6/30. Fantastic show! I'm still smiling. Looked great, sounded great and Steve Stevens was just like he had stepped out of one of the videos. Billy really interacted with the crowd, even 50-f*%king-5 me! The sweetest bad-boy out there...I usually don't go see oldy-moldy groups, (can be so disappointing) but Billy hasn't lost an iota of his appeal. In fact he was better then when I saw him in the '80's. Can't wait to see what's next...

4.0 out of 5 stars He still has it..., July 3, 2008
I watched an inteview with Billy and apparently it was EMI's idea to do another hits CD. They told him to add a couple new tracks as well. That is the reason for this release.

At first I was hesitant to purchase this yet another "greatest" collection because most of the songs are already on his Greatest Hits from 2001, which I already own. However, after hearing the two new tracks on his website plus the bonus DVD of his awesome videos... well, I had to have it. I only wish that Prodigal Blues was labeled one of his best. I think it was so underplayed when Charmed Life was released. I disagree with the first reviewer about LA Woman being a terrible cover. There is a reason it is one of his hits. I love the energy of that song. It's definitely one of my faves. The videos are great and it really takes me back to the days when MTV actually played videos. Billy is definitely a pioneer of rock videos. His are some of the most unforgettable in history. Again, too bad Prodigal Blues was not included, that is probably my favorite Idol video. Anyway, buy this if you don't have the hits.... or even if you do if but just for the DVD. It's worth it. If nothing else, it's a great way for "the man" to get himself back out on tour and not fade away into history. This icon will never be an aging, has-been product of the 80s. The new tracks prove that he still has what it takes to rock out his fans. He is truly timeless. And really, can you ever hear Rebel Yell enough?

5.0 out of 5 stars Most of the best of Billy Idol, June 26, 2008
The first CD in this set is a great compilation of his most well-known songs, which that sense for a Greatest Hits album. If you're a rabid billy fan, the first cd will seem a little short to you, but if you want a single disc with all your favorite songs, just burn one.
This is a great introductory CD to a new fan... it has a diversity of songs that makes the compilation very honest, showing the listener all the different things Billy is in to when he makes music.
The DVD housing all of Idol's music videos is a first, and is amazing, making this greatest hits much more worth buying than the previous one, though, incidentally I have both, and I can't complain with either. The two new songs have his *new* sound, which began to develop commercially somewhere between the end of Cyberpunk and the making of Speed. They're good songs, but it's Billy's perfect, over-confident delivery that makes them what they are.

I'm very pleased with this; It's re-sparked my enthusiasm about this next phase of his career.

-BM

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the very best of...., June 25, 2008
George (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I can not give this cd 5 stars because it is missing two great songs: "Adam in Chains" and "Heroine". Granted, they were minor hits but they are two of Billy's best singles - after the height of his popularity.And they were better and bigger than anything off of Devil's Playground" These songs deserved to be included on here, since this is suppose to be "The Very Best of".
With that being said, i think "John Wayne" is excellent and has what it takes to give Billy Idol another hit. It is one of his few songs that really showcases his great vocals. I think he has always been under rated as a great vocalist.
This is a great collection of songs. As I mentioned before, I feel it is incomplete to consider it a very best of. It's pretty much a re release of his last greatest hits package. But well worth picking up just for the DVD. Billy Idol used to rule MTV. Back when they played videos.
If anything, this collection of songs will take you back to a better time, and bring back a lot of fond memories. I know it did for me.
"White Wedding", "Eyes Without A Face", "Sweet Sixteen", "Money Money", "Rebel Yell"---Enough said....

5.0 out of 5 stars What an incredible career and he's still going strong!!, July 2, 2008
Staceyswo (Annapolis, Maryland) - See all my reviews
From the minute I heard Billy Idol sing Rebel Yell back in 1984 I was hooked.....and I've never looked back!

This new compilation of hits is especially fantastic because it includes a DVD of his greatest music videos. This man was born to be in front of the camera and he used his looks to his full advantage back in the heyday of MTV.

Another reason to purchase this CD/DVD set is because of the two great new Idol songs: "John Wayne" and "New Future Weapon". "John Wayne" especially has the sound to be a hit today. Billy's voice is just as fabulous, if not better 20+ years later and is an INCREDIBLE live performer. Check him and his great band out on tour this summer and you will NOT be disappointed!!

2.0 out of 5 stars FORGOT TO BE A "A DIFFERENT GREATEST HITS PACKAGE", July 19, 2008
I remember the first time I ever saw a Billy Idol video, I was 8 yrs old. in the old Howard's Department Store(Remember those?) it was 1982 on the new MTV channel was Billy Idol doing his new "White Wedding" it was the first music video I ever saw. When they showed the scene of the nails going into the coffin I remember turning to my brother and going "He's a devil worshipper." Fast forward to 1987 Im riding my BMX Bike and on the Top 40 after they play "La Bamba" the new Billy Idol "Mony Mony Live" comes on, and I've fallen in love. Billy Idol became the cool image I wanted to be when I grew up, the look, the personality, the total awesomeness. To this day he is my favorite artist of all time. When I finally saw my first concert in 2002 and I was able to get up against the stage and almost touch him (missed by less then an inch) I almost died.
When I first got the internet my screen name was "Fatalcharm" after a song off "Whiplash Smile". So I'm a fan, get over it.

Billy Idol is going through the Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick stage where you keep re-releasing greatest hits packages within every 2 studio albums, that way you have a package to tour to. This album has all of his hits some 10 top 40 hits counting 4 top 10 hits or so. Its a good lineup of solid rockers, crossing the strange mix of music Billy has been successfull at pop-metal "White Wedding" Hard Rock "Rebel Yell" Punk "Dancing With Myself" Pop "Eyes Without A Face".

So whats the Problem.....

This album wasn't necessary its the 2001 album plus 2 new tracks, a Devil's Playground Track and not much more. For the purpose of the DVD its a good add on I guess but that doesn't excuse the same line up.
Its pretty much the same as Idol Songs,(minus a few tracks after 88) and 2001's greatest hits.

Now you ask how could it have been different?

Here's an idea Billy's only #1 hit was the live version of "Mony Mony" not the 1981 or studio version on the last 2 greatest hits package and thats what really gets me this version is so dry. Its rare for a live song to hit #1 and here we don't even get it on the greatest hits package. The song only made its appeareance on the Idol Song's Import and a few singles.

Where are the Vital Idol Tracks?

Vital Idol was the FIRST remix album to ever go Platinum. Its version of "Flesh For Fantasy" and "Forgot To Be A Lover" haunted dance clubs for years. Not to mention these version rock harder then the studio versions. Yet once again we get the same old rehashed versions. Which is really a let down for the newer fans who never heard these on the radio which isn't remix friendly.

Newer Tracks on a greatest hits, how innovative....

The newer tracks are okay but how about the tracks that just dissappeared, such as "Im gonna find my Way", that was yanked from Mp3.com a few years back on the song he played in his 2001 concert something along the lines of "My Monster" (I can't remember the exact title) these tracks just straight up dissappeared. And Cyberpunk "Shock To The System" was not the trademark to this album a small metro area where I live still has "Wasteland" in their rotation. "Adam In Chains" deserved a spot on this disc, is there a moodier Billy Idol song?

So this isn't a bad album just a bad concept, no Vital Idol, his biggest hit of All time Live "Mony Mony" is missing for 2 greatest hits packages and Cyberpunk is once again understated. This album if not for a dvd isn't really necessary. Giving this album 5 stars would be like writing a different review for the Mona Lisa everyday for eternity and giving it 5 stars each time. I mean where is the variety?

The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself
The Very Best Of Billy Idol: Idolize Yourself by Billy Idol (Audio CD - 2008)