4.0 out of 5 stars Classics Repackaged with 3 new songs
Published on October 20, 2000 by Brett D. Cullum

3.0 out of 5 stars Aged Beef?
I gotta tell ya, I love Meat Loaf, especially when he collaborates with Jim Steinman. But I'm not sure this compilation really reflects the 'best of' Meat. Being totally honest, the bulk of his best cuts have come from "Bat Out Of Hell" with one or two from each album thereafter.

But then, what does 'best' really mean: best selling, best charting, best in the...
Published on October 18, 2004 by Rokgod1

4.0 out of 5 stars Classics Repackaged with 3 new songs, October 20, 2000
Brett D. Cullum (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
This album is pretty much a career retrospective on Meat Loaf, and the choices of songs are obviously the hits. You get a lot off both BAT OUT OF HELLs, and some selected tracks off the other albums. Interestingly there is an alternative mix of "Life is a Lemon", and it makes that song sound better! Not that anything was wrong with the original, but it's nice to hear it redone and re-vamped a little. There are only three new songs which makes the package a little pricey if you are a fan and own the other CDs. "Home By Now/No Matter What" and "A Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste" are both from Jim Steinman's collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Weber -- the ill-fated "WHISTLE DOWN THE ROAD". Meat Loaf proves that he probably could have saved the show with a LOT of emotion put into the tracks. Meat Loaf seems to work the best with Jim, and seems like anytime either of them forgets that you get something like these tracks to remind you. The third new song is "Is Nothing Sacred", and it is a straight-forward song that seems like a nice B-side. It's a catchy tune that fits right in with the rest of the material. There is a text feature on the CD, so anybody with the right CD player should see the titles of the songs pop up on their display (a neat feature). Also if you are a sound freak... this is the best way to get a remastered version of your BAT OUT OF HELL favorites. Those tracks are digitally remastered, so they have never sounded clearer and they record to tape better than previous issues of that album. My only beef is I'm a fan, and I've heard all of this before except the remix and the three new songs. How long do we have to wait for a CD with all-new material? Meat Loaf is a great artist, and I hope he decides to go back in the studio very soon. Until then we can use this CD to recall his glory days -- past and present!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the label says, July 31, 2000
Stephen M. Sturgeon (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
This is definitely an album that no Meat Loaf fan should be without. It has hits like the #1 smash "I'd Do Anything For Love," "I'd Lie For You And That's the Truth," and "Midnight at the Lost and Found." It also has several songs that you can't get on other albums such as "Home By Now/No Matter What" and "A Kiss Is a Terrible Thing to Waste," among others. Each of the new songs have lyrics written by Jim Steinman, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, and sung by (of course) Meat Loaf. With such a trio, no one can doubt that they have something special. Final words: If your a Meat Loaf fan, you've got to get this one. I you haven't really heared much from him, this is the album to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but missing a ton of stuff, November 12, 2002
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
This is the best of Meat Loaf, all right. From Bat Out Of Hell to Midnight At The Lost And Found (off of the "horrible" album that "only" got about four hits off of it) to Modern Girl to Objects In The Rear View Mirror to Not A Dry Eye In The House,crammed onto two CDs along with three new songs, especially the two best ones Meat has done yet, Is Nothing Sacred and A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste. You won't be disappointed by the quality of songs that Meat's got on here.
However, you WILL be disappointed at the quanity. With only 9 tracks per CD, Meat has alot of stuff missing from this collection. Although it doesn't hurt my score any, some of the many missing from this that could've been included in this greatest hits CD inlcudes:
BAT OUT OF HELL: All Revved Up With No Place To Go, For Crying Out Loud
DEAD RINGER: Peel Out, Read Em And Weep, I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us
MIDNIGHT AT THE LOST AND FOUND: Razor's Edge, The Promised Land, If You Really Want To
BLIND BEFORE I STOP: Blind Before I Stop, Getting Away With Murder, Rock N' Roll Mercenaries
BAT OUT OF HELL II: Everything Louder Than Everything Else
WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD: Original Sin, Amnesty Is Granted
See what I mean? Meat has just too many hits and good songs to be crammed onto just 18 (total) tracks. A box set would've been better.
With all of these songs, it is hard to say that Meat never had a good career music wise. Even at his worst, Meat still was able to be better than other artist's BEST works, and do it in style.
Now, let's see if the success of the two jewels of this Best Of CD carries us into the upcoming Testify album, which is slated for a 2003 drop, and alsready tainted to be Meat's best work yet (even Meat is impressed with Testify, and he isn't too easy to impress). This is a wonderful compilation to hold us over until then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of classics, and beautiful new pieces too!, June 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
Most of Meat Loaf's best songs are here (the only notable one that's missing in For Crying Out Loud and if that was on there in addition to the other Bat 1 songs, you could just throw in Bat Out of Hell as one of the two discs!) AND... you get three new songs! Yes that's right, Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman are together again for three WONDERFUL new tracks! My take on those three: A Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste is FABULOUS! Absolutely stunning. I saw the musical Whistle Down the Wind, which this song is from ,in 1996 and I have loved it ever since ESPECIALLY as done by the grandmaster of rock. Home by Now/No Matter What takes awhile to grow on you but it is ten million times better than Boyzone's and a very sweet song. Is Nothing Sacred has very simple lyrics, not so epic as Steinman's (I thinkt hey're by Don Black) but it also really grows on you. I sang this song to my ex-boyfriend right after we broke up. I dont know why, that was crazy....
Anyway, this is a good selection of Meat Loaf's work and the new songs make if worth gettign even if you have all the other albums like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars His Music Still Glows Like The Metal On The Edge Of A Knife, December 18, 2005
Anthony Nasti "Tony" (Staten Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
For years, I have been searching for a Meat Loaf album for my collection. I loved all the songs I'd heard by him, and I wanted to hear more. However, I was not able to find a compilation that suited me well. Until today, when I found the two disc "The Very Best Of Meat Loaf".

This cd has all the Meat Loaf you need. All of his biggest hits are here, including "You Took The Words Right Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)" (love that intro), "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad", "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)", and, of, course, "Paradise By The Dashboard Light". And they all sound great. I also enjoyed the songs I've never heard before, such as "Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are" and "Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back".

I have a few gripes. One is that the cds don't fill the eighty minute time limit cds allow. I know most of Meat Loaf's best stuff, but they could've at least put "All Dressed Up With No Place To Go" and "Read 'Em And Weep" on here. But my biggest disappointing (a minor one, albeit), is that his song he sang as Eddie in "The Rocky Horror Show", "Hot Patootie Bless My Soul (Whatever Happened To Saturday Night)", is not included. Granted, it's not necessarily a true Meat Loaf song, but it's a song he's very much associated with and it would've been nice if it was included.

Other than that, I have no real complaints. This collection is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ULTIMATE MASTERPIECE OF MEAT LOAF!!!, October 1, 2000
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
It is simply amazing that one artist can make so many majestic pieces as Meat Loaf. And his greatest are smacked right into the same 2 CD set, THE VERY BEST OF MEAT LOAF. With Loaf's classics, most written by the ingenius Jim Steinman, it can't go wrong. And the coup de gras...three new songs, all written by Steinman, two of which are composed by the amazing Andrew Lloyd Weber. "Home By Now/No Matter What" is, quoting Mr. Loaf, "Jim's best song, lyrically, since For Crying Out Loud. And it very well may be my favorite song that I've ever done." With the beautiful yet chilling HOME BY NOW intro, No Matter What describes Loaf's personal traits-he can't deny what he belives, he can't be what he isn't. This and the other Steinman/Weber song, "A Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste" are form their colloborated musical, WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND. "Kiss" is similar to I'd Do Anything For Love in a way-only Kiss is blown full scale! With a full orchestral accompaniment, "Kiss" spews the message that "one can't wait forever to fall in love." (A. Lloyd Weber) Is Nothing Sacred, the third new song, is very emotionally sang. And Meat's well-known works, ANYTHING FOR LOVE, PARADISE BY THE DASHBOARD LIGHT, BAT OUT OF HELL and an incredibly hard-rock remix of LIFE IS A LEMON make the Very Best of Meat Loaf something no Meat Loaf fan can afford to miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE VERY BEST OF MEATLOAF, January 17, 2006
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Meatloaf since His album "Bat of Hell". I like the dramatic use of orchestral and backgound vocals. I think that Meatloft's voice is so powerful, and these songs prove that. This is by far The best album of Meatloaf's performances. This album along with "Bat Out of Hell", and "Bat Out of Hell II" is all that you need for your collection of Meatloaf. This is a great career retrospective album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meat, August 5, 2001
Empty Sky7 "dandare7" (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
This is a really great compilation of music..all the hits are here, "I Would Do Anything For Love", "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", "Two Out Of Three Aint Bad", "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth"(Steinman paints the perfect picture of first love) "I'd Lie For You And That's The Truth"(surprisingly obscure considering it cracked the top 20), "Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through", and "Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are". There is also a minor chart entry included in "Not A Dry Eye In The House", and some classic album tracks, "Bat Out Of Hell", "Heaven Can Wait", "Dead Ringer For Love"(featuring Cher), "Midnight At The Lost And Found", and "Modern Girl". The best thing about buying this compilation is track one of the first disc, a new song penned by Andrew Lloyd Weber and Jim Steinman called "Home By Now/Now Matter What", all I can say is wow..it is simply brilliant. It could easily be one of the best songs I have ever heard. Some other things this collection has going for it are two other new tracks, and a rocking remix of "Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back". This compilation is just about perfect, I could do without the tracks from the period between the two "Bat Out Of Hell" albums, but their inclusion makes it a bit more comprehensive. With Meat's powerful voice and Steinman's witty, yet heartfelt images, how could you go wrong??

5.0 out of 5 stars Meatloaf is one of the best Music Lords, August 12, 2006
Freddy (A Boiler Room) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
I don't think I've been more drawn in by music since ever! Any chance I find a Meatloaf song. It's immediately on my MP3 Player. If I don't got the cord to get the song I'll e-mail it to myself so I can sync it later. That's just Meatloaf. The kind of music you've got to have.

I've always loved Meatloaf ever since I was what? Five? Four? Maybe when I was just being born. His music is just fantastic. I love numerous of his songs. My top favorites are "Paradise By the Dashboard Light", "Dead Ringer for Love", "I Would Do Anything for Love(But I Won't Do That", and who could forget "Hot Patootie-Bless My Soul/What Ever Happened to Saturday Night?"?

Speak bad of him all you want but Meatloaf has this thing that just lures you closer to listen. Whether you bop to the music, or just listen intentively. Every song tells a story. And Meatloaf does just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars All of the Best From Meat Loaf, July 10, 2006
This review is from: The Very Best of Meat Loaf (Audio CD)
Meat Loaf and legendary songwriter Jim Steinman collaborated in the 70s to produce the ground-breaking album "Bat Out of Hell", and in 1993 to produce the follow-up "Bat Out of Hell II". In between, several other albums were released, and these more obscure albums still managed to produce some memorable songs.

This great double-CD collection contains all of Meat Loaf's most memorable songs, including "Paradise by the Dashboard Light", "Bat Out of Hell", "Modern Girl", "I Would Do Anything for Love", and "I'd Lie for You (and That's the Truth)". Steinman's superior songwriting shines through, and Meat Loaf's trademark rock opera sound with the various instrumentals and backing vocals is evident on each song. Although Steinman didn't write the songs for many of Meat Loaf's post-"Bat Out of Hell" albums, the songs from these albums contained in this collection are very good.

I've been a fan of Meat Loaf's for many years, and I am eagerly anticipating the release of "Bat Out of Hell III", due out soon. In the meantime, Meat Loaf fans will truly enjoy this great collection of his most memorable hits.

The Very Best of Meat Loaf
The Very Best of Meat Loaf by Meat Loaf (Audio CD - 1998)
Rate and Discover Movies