Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 2, 2003
This 16-track set basically works as a solid sampler for casual fans who want Rod The Mod's biggest hits.He's moved from beloved rootsy rocker(Maggie May,You Wear It Well,Reason To Believe)to rock superstar(Tonights The Night,Hot Legs,You're In My Heart)to dance-pop dilettante(Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?,Young Turks)to adult-contempary pop crooner(My Heart Can't Tell You No,Have I Told You Lately,This Old Heart Of Mine,Downtown Train,Rhythm Of My Heart)in that's challenged and sometimes dismayed fans,paticularly those of the roots-rockin mold."The Very Best Of Rod Stewart" touches on all these bases equally,but it doesn't have his "very best" like "Mandolin Wind","Every Picture Tells A Story","I Don't Want To Talk About It","Sailing","The First Cut Is The Deepest","Passion","People Get Ready","Infatuation" and "Lost In You".For a more complete career-spanner,get the "Storyteller" box set,but this is a good starter for novices.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon November 13, 2001
Rod Stewart's trademark has always been his whiskey-soaked, raspy voice. Whether singing about quitting school for a girl in "Maggie May" or wishing eternal youth for his son in "Forever Young", Mr. Stewart's throaty tones add an all-knowing wisdom to the songs. This is yet another greatest hits package from Mr. Stewart, who has released quite a few, but this one nicely samples his career from his Every Picture Tells A Story days right through his remake of "Ooh La La". The musical journey makes welcome stops at "Young Turks", "Tonight's The Night", "Some Guys Have All The Luck" and "Have I Told You Lately".
For fans (like me) who shelled out for the Storyteller box set a decade ago, there's not much new here. Only three additions: 1991's "Rhythm of My Heart," 1993's "Have I Told You Lately," and the nod to Stewart's old Faces' bandmate Ronnie Lane with a remake of "Ooh La La." But for the casual fan, this single-disc anthology hits most of the highlights from one of rock's most distinctive voices. Sure, his cheesy disco hit "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is here. But give the man his due. He put out some of the best albums of the Seventies (Every Picture Tells a Story, Never a Dull Moment) and continues to make viable music. This set is not, however, complete. There are a handful of top ten singles missing. Biggest disappointment? Where's "Infatuation" which had Stewart's old boss Jeff Beck handling lead guitar? [With more than a dozen top 40 songs omitted, this could easily have been a two-disc set with the added bonus of some well chosen album tracks like "I'd Rather Go Blind" and "Mandolin Wind."] Otherwise, this collection gives you the best bang for your buck. A great introduction to one of the great voices in rock. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on November 25, 2001
Yes, there are hits compilations from Stewart available, but all the ones I've seen are limited to the '70's, barring the pricey box set. So we now have a collection that covers Stewart's 30+ year career, and it's a single CD.
With most greatest hits albums, there are one or two songs that seem unjustly omitted. With this one, you're left to wonder, "Is this all they could come up with?" Maybe the title should have been "The Biggest Radio Hits of Rod Stewart". Speaking only for myself, "Infatuation", which was a big hit, is missed. This could have easily become a 2-disc set and still have been honesty called "The Very Best of..."
As for the album it is, it's a wonderful listen. Every song is good, and there are absolutely no surprises (not that that is necessarily good, but expected for a single CD that doesn't try to be anything more than a best-of). A couple of them have become boring thanks to radio overkill.
on May 20, 2005
Double disc set of 34 tracks, digitally remastered. Disc One is titled "A Night Out" and contains uptempo and Rock tracks such as "Maggie May" (complete version), "Rhythm of My Heart", the Faces' classic "Stay With Me", and the playful raunch of "Hot Legs" & "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy".

Disc Two - "A Night In" - focuses on Rod the balladeer with his haunting versions of other peoples' songs: "Sailing" (Gavin Sutherland), "Have I Told You Lately" (Van Morrison), "I Don't Want To Talk About It" (Danny Whitten - Crazy Horse); plus his own compositions such as "The Killing of Georgie Pts 1 & 2" and "You're In my Heart (The Final Acclaim)". Best of all is the hard-to-get Python Lee Jackson classic "In a Broken Dream".

Well worth the money.
on July 15, 2003
As with all "greatest hits" or "very best of" collections, a few favorites are always left out. When you're trying to squeeze 30 years of musical genius into 16 cuts, it's inevitable. Still this is a must-have for all Rod Stewart fans and a great introduction to him for the uninitiated. From his breakthrough hit, "Maggie May" to the controversial "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" this album rocks with good feelings, nostalgic ballads, and Rod's wonderfully raspy and unique voice. Any album that gives us "This Old Heart of Mine," "Reason To Believe," and "Hot Legs" has to be great. And this one is. A special bonus is the enclosed booklet with photo after photo of the many faces and diverse looks of Rod Stewart.
on February 16, 2011
This greatest hits import collection from Rod Stewart does live up to the title of containing great hits. I grew up listening to many of Rod Stewart's songs on the radio, and I was equally pleased to see many of those hits in this compilation. The following are some of my favorite musical tracks in this compilation that I enjoyed listening to on the radio, and were also found in this compilation:

Have I Told You Lately-this is a very gorgeous and beautiful song about how his lover brings him so much sunshine in his life and the unlimited love that pours out of him as a result.
Sailing:This seems to be a song about having a free spirit.
Love Touch: This is a catchy tune about someone that wants to show their lover the strong desire that they have for them, but they must have the opportunity to do so.
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy: This is a lively musical track about someone who wants to know if they are wanted via a sign. "Do You Think I'm Sexy" is my favorite song in this compilation.

The abovementioend songs are only a sampler of the good tracks that are available on this collection of Rod Stewar's greatest hits. This cd of Rod Stewart's greatest hits is definitely recommended if you enjoy 80's and/or 90's pop, soft rock, and classic rock music.
on December 9, 2003
One thing is for sure, we have our choice of collections, including the "Greatest Hits", "Best Of", "Downtown Train", "Very Best", "Very Best 2", etc. You get the point. Of them all, this is arguably the best of the best. It covers his entire career anyway. But with someone like "Rod Stewart" who's been around for decades, it's hard to narrow it down to 16 tracks. Plus his style has changed in that time, from his classic songs, to his disco flavored and 80's tunes, to his recent mellower work. So, obviously this is missing even more than it includes. But there's no doubt that what's on this cd is great. This has his huge hits like "Maggie May", "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?", and "Forever Young", as well as my favorites "Young Turks", "Reason To Believe", and "Some Guys Have All The Luck", among others. If you find that you're missing alot of songs, they're probably on "Encore: Very Best Of 2".
on February 1, 2002
After reading the ludicrous review of Rod's career, I had to write this review of his latest and greatest. In a similar vain as Atlantic Crossing, with it's Fast and Slow sides these two cd's are labelled 'A Night Out' and 'A Night In'. They cover material from all stages of Rod's illustrious career - a career which has spanned four decades and has seen all of the 'fads' come and go. Rod has stayed current, through the 'early years' of Maggie May, You Wear It Well and Reason to Beleive; through the 'growing years' with Da Ya Think I'm Sexy (the Number One Song of 1979!!!) Hot Legs, Sailing ( a virtual national anthem across the waters and one of only two songs to ever chart twice in the the top 10 in Britain with two seperate releases [the other, for those interested, was David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust]) and Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me). They continue with the Rod that most people now know, through hits like Have I told You Lately, All For Love, Every Beat of My Heart,and Downtown Train, to name a few. These dics include other lesser, but equally important and powerful songs, such as Tom Traubert's Blues, Ooh La La and new songs like Don't Come Around Here and I Can't Deny It - what can't be denied is that the wealth of success evidenced in these two cd's (which only scratch the surface of the treasures this singer has given us)cannot be understated. As a live performer he ranks at the top of all singers of all time in Rock 'n Roll - after all of these years he still insures the paying public gets their money's worth and more. As a singer he has both the talent to ferret out songs appropriate to his style and is willing to take chances on lesser known writers. 'Human', his album from last year, captures all of the fire and warmth of early albums like Atlantic Crossing and Never a Dull Moment.
On top of all of that, he is a humanitarian who recognized the plight in Africa long before Live Aid and donated proceeds to the effort there. On Tonight I'm Yours, he dedicates a song to Terry Fox, a young Canadian who lost his leg to cancer and attempted to raise money for Cancer research by running from one coast of Canada to the other, on one good leg and one artificial one. He didn't make it, succumbing to cancer half-way through his trek, but his determination prompted Mr. Stewart to write the absolutely beautiful and touching "Never Give Up On A Dream" and to donate the proceeds to Terry Fox's cause - cancer research.
Don't take my word for it - get out and grab a copy of this 2 cd set - you will not be sorry. It's the type of set that you can listen to over and over again without tiring of it - and best of all, you KNOW all of the songs (okay, maybe 90% the first run through) because, Rod is one of the most played artists on FM in the world. 120,000,000 people can't be wrong (that's the official number of albums he has sold)
ENJOY -
on January 23, 2012
I have read reviewers who complain that some of their choices of his "very best" are not here. Look, folks .... this CD has 16 songs ... not 32. These 16 songs are some of the very best of Rod Stewart's catalog from his earliest years on. They were hits then, and they are great now. Great listening for driving down the road, etc. I love this CD and I am not even a huge fan of Stewart and I am not a "novice". I am an old guy now, but listening to this CD brings brings back some youthful memories.
If you like Stewart or at least his best older songs, get this CD and get "groovy".