5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sixties folk-pop group
Published on October 12, 2003 by Peter Durward Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, poor packaging
This CD was shipped from overseas in a very thinly padded mailer. When it arrived the CD case was cracked completely on all sides and did not open in one piece.

Fortunately the CD inside seemed to be OK and plays, but the jewel case it arrived in is now useless.

Shipper needs to use better packaging to secure the contents.
Published 5 months ago by B. Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sixties folk-pop group, October 12, 2003
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
This isn't truly the best of the Seekers but it contains all the essentials. The first half of the collection contains all their hit singles and a couple of other tracks, while the second half is a re-issue of their debut album - an interesting collection of folk songs. Because the hits are all at the beginning, you can always play those on their own, which I sometimes do if I'm in a particular mood.

They had five huge hits in the UK - I'll never find another you, A world of our own, The carnival is over, Morningtown ride and Georgy girl. Three of them went all the way to number one and the other two came close. In America, Georgy girl was their biggest hit though A world of our own also made thr top five. They gained further recognition via Sonny James, who covered I'll never find another you and A world of our own, taking them to the top of the country charts.

Someday one day, Walk with me, When will the good apples fall and Emerald city were less successful but still excellent. Island of dreams is a cover of a song that was a top five UK hit for the Springfields - a group that included Tom Springfield, who became producer for the Seekers after his sister, Dusty, went solo.

The final twelve songs contain a mix of mostly traditional folk songs from Ireland, Australia and America, though there are one or two contemporary songs here, most famously Blowing in the wind.

This is an excellent introduction to the music of the Seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Groups Of The 1960's, January 14, 2003
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
Judith Durham had arguably the best, pure voice of any female recording artist of the 1960's. Her sensitivity and charm are exhibited in most of her songs. Judith's vocals are rich and pure and in some of her recordings she sounds like an angel. The harmonies of the Seekers are also excellent, and they recorded several outstanding spiritual songs.
I'll Never Find Another You, World Of Our Own, Carnival Is Over, Walk With Me, Morningtown Ride, Georgy Girl, and Emerald City are particularly beautiful songs, and the Seekers recording of Waltzing Matilda is one of the best versions of this classic folk song. Surprisingly only I'll Never Find Another You (#4), Georgy Girl (#2), and A World Of Our Own (#19) were top forty hits in the United States. The Seekers were much more commercially successful in England where Carnival Is Over and Morningtown Ride, as well as A World Of Our Own and Georgy Girl were #1 hits and several of their other recordings made the top 10 on the UK charts. Also included on this CD are good covers of classic folk songs such as Lemon Tree, Blowin' In The Wind, Danny Boy, and Five Hundred Miles.
This album is an excellent value. Fans of the Seekers should consider purchasing the Seekers Complete Box Set for most of their music from the 1960's, and some of their recordings when they reunited in the 1990's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A golden nugget of an album--The Seekers perform songs that are like kisses sweeter than wine !!!, June 4, 2007
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
The Seekers played an important role in the "British Invasion" of English music entering America in the 1960s. The Seekers offered people everywhere soothing rhythms and sweet melodies that proved to be both infectiously catchy and strikingly beautiful at the same time. The CD showcases their talents very well.

The track set opens with the love ballad "I'll Never Find Another You." The guitar and percussion intro works very well; and they harmonize the vocals to perfection as they sing of the one true love we all hope to find in our lifetimes. I especially like the way Judith Durham complements the male singers; and like many of their ballads "I'll Never Find Another You" boasts a great folk music feel to it. Great! "A World Of Our Own" has a faster tempo as the group sings so well of spending precious time with their romantic partners. This optimistic ballad also reflects the joys of young love.

"Georgy Girl" will be one song you will almost certainly recognize even if you don't normally like this type of song. "Georgy Girl" deals with the story of a young lady who needs to let herself be her own woman. The melody stuns you with its beauty; The Seekers are at their very best with classic numbers like "Georgy Girl." "Open Up Them Pearly Gates" has a folksy, pop feel to it as they sing of the paradise we call heaven. Judith Durham sings lead on "Open Up Them Pearly Gates" and the guys do an awesome backup. "Kumbaya" gets the royal treatment as the group performs this with great sensitivity; and "Blowin' In The Wind" proves The Seekers could cover a song and let the ballad keep its full dignity, too.

"The Wreck Of The Old '97" sports a country feel to it; and "Lemon Tree" is delivered to perfection by The Seekers. The Seekers also perform an awesome rendition of "Five Hundred Miles." Peter, Paul and Mary would be proud. In addition, The Seekers do a great cover of "Danny Boy" with Judith Durham as the lead vocalist. The guitars on "Danny Boy" enhance the beauty of this number, too.

The CD ends with "The Water Is Wide;" this thoughtful ballad provide a perfect ending for this CD track set. Just one listen proves it!

The liner notes include an essay about The Seekers by R. B. Whittaker; and the cover artwork of the group is very well done. You get the song credits, too.

The Seekers remain one of the best groups of the entire twentieth century. They had the ability to impart to their adoring audiences a certain intimacy whenever they performed and the crowds loved them for it. Although the group broke up after only a few years, their artistry lives on quite well through their awesome words and music.

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a classic!, November 25, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
The seekers have been one of my favourite bands....and you just can't ask for a better compilation of their hits than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine music, fine voices, March 5, 2006
a foodie (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
A lot of folk groups deserved the merciless skewering delivered by Christopher Guest's "A Mighty Wind". What separates The Seekers from that horrid morass of Terminal Earnestness inflicted on pop culture in early sixties?

A few things: One, the writing of Tom Springfield (Dusty's brother) who was responsible for two of their finest songs (World of Our Own, I'll Never Find Another You). Two, the fine harmonies of the group. Three, the lovely voice of Judith Durham. (I would bet that more than a few men now in their fifties had a teenage crush on Ms. Durham.)

What also comes through is a respect for the material. Some folk musicians, even some great ones, don't take too much care with things like notes or diction or phrasing, as long as the emotional content is delivered right on cue. That sometimes works, but often the result is a recording which gets wearisome on repeated listening. In contrast, take the Seekers' version of "Danny Boy", a song which is usually done in an over-emotional lachrymose fashion. Here it's done rather simply, which makes its message all the more powerful.

There are a few clunkers on this disc--I don't care if I ever hear "Kumbayah" ever again. Their big hit "Georgy Girl" hasn't aged well--yes, it's still classic bouncy BritPop, but the message ("fix yourself up so you can catch a guy") is a tad out of step with 21st century thought.

Still, the disc is worth the purchase price just for "World of our Own" and "I'll never find another you", and if you like any of the others, that's just lagniappe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Boomers here they are, March 22, 2006
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
This is the Pop/Folk group that topped the Beatles, the Kinks, and the Rolling Stones in 1967 with the Song Georgy Girl. They also had international hits, I'll Never Find Another You, A World of our Own, Morningtown Ride, and many others. They were the first Australians to sell a million records in the US. What a great way to go back to a slower time in our lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I remembered, May 20, 2007
AA5L (Fort Worth, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
I had heard three of these performances before, since they were hits in the 1960s, but the entire CD is quite good. Judith Durham sings a version of "Danny Boy" here which is outstanding. She truly had one of the best voices in all of folk. The other Seekers acquit themselves quite well; the harmony is at all times quite close, and a male voice sings the lead on a few quite respectably. "A World Of Our Own" is absolutely wonderful, being an optimistic, cheerful song, the likes of which are in short supply today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, July 9, 2006
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for one track in particular. I found out that I really enjoyed the rest of the songs on the CD. Nice sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Long Ago, January 5, 2009
Mellow Fellow "fredii" (Little Rock, Arkansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
Thanks to XM Satellite Radio in my car, I was able to buy this CD and have the biggest suprise of my life. When I was on the 60's station on last year, I heard the songs, "I'll Never Find Another You" and "A World Of Our Own". These two songs reminded me of my Soulmate. I then learned that the group that sanged these songs was 'The Seekers'. In going to the list of tracks, I learned that they made "Georgy Girl"-a song that I enjoyed from regular radio. I said to myself that I will order this CD. When I played the CD my car, that was when the suprise came.The song "Morningtown Ride" I haven't heard in over 35, maybe 40 years. That song was a song of my youth. My dearly departed mother, used to hum and sing this song, when I was in my pre-teens. I cried when I heard it last year. (Thus the name "Mellow-Fellow") I enjoyed the music of this and others group of the 60's.As a Black youth listening to songs such as these, it was my mother's influence, because of the strict upbring that I had and that was frowned on by my peers.(and I didn't mind the music either!!) This CD is special to me!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout "Live" version of "The Carnival Is Over" missing..., June 6, 2007
Samuel J. Herd (Broome, WA, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Best of the Seekers (Audio CD)
Whilst this is a superb CD featuring the brilliant talents of the original Seekers, Judith Durham, principal vocalist and occasional pianist; Athol Guy, upright bassist; Keith Podger, 6 & 12-string guitarist & Bruce Woodley, guitarist and banjoist, the version of "The Carnival Is Over" on here is the studio cut; there is somewhere out there in the EMI vaults a knockout "live version" of this song recorded (I think) at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne when the group made their triumphant homecoming in March of 1967 before a massive crowd (estimated at over 200,000) that captured the immensely appreciative applause of those in attendance that day; very moving indeed.

So please EMI do us all a huge favour and include the "live version" (as well as the studio version) of "The Carnival Is Over" on future releases of "The Best of The Seekers" CDs as it's truly an amazing track which aficionados of the Seekers will treasure. (I have the "live" version on vinyl - great track!)

The Very Best of the Seekers
The Very Best of the Seekers by The Seekers (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies