5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously "Brainy" Tale
After thumbing through this colorful book that claims it is not for children, I bought several copies for the "kids" in my life (including some under 10). It is clever, funny, and timely, given our "hunger" for all things zombie!
Published 21 months ago by Lori Hart Beninger

3.0 out of 5 stars Grammar glitches
Published 20 months ago by Decent English

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously "Brainy" Tale, November 9, 2012
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Parody Replacing the Caterpiller With a Zombie, June 12, 2013
James N Simpson (Gold Coast, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
The Very Hungry Zombie resembles both the classic picture book in its look as well as the storyline and artwork inside. The book resembles a small children's board book (pages thick and durable, not paper). It is really well done being that it retains what the original story was about, a creature that eats, and eats until it is so full it needs to sleep for a long time. The book also retains the teaching of learning each day of the week, like as the caterpillar did, for example this zombie "On Tuesday he chewed through two party clowns. But they tasted kind of funny."

The illustrations by Jon Apple pay homage to Eric Carle's caterpillar ones, they use the same colours, are very basic and retain the caterpillar mouth's circle bit taken out of each page. Now Apple could have used teeth marks or a human looking bite but I think the simple holes instantly conjure up the original tale being parodied as you read this version. None of the illustrations inside a gory, scary or inappropriate for kids of any age. My favourite is actually not in the story itself but instead on the back cover of a zombie sitting on a park bench drinking his human head's insides through a straw with a packet of French fingers dripping blood instead of ketchup in his other hand. Although you can get this as a Kindle book, for me the fun of this is in its resemblance to an actual board book so having a physical picture book is the way to go in my recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious and fun, January 18, 2014
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
This is a great parody of the very hungry caterpillar. We really enjoy the art style and the bright colors are really wonderful. None of the imagery is really terrible- it's pretty much like what you would see on any 'mad scientist' toy made for kids. Even the images of brains and eyeballs are brightly colored and very toony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, January 4, 2013
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
Very funny book. Perfect for my little Zombie lovers (ages 6 and 2) They loved that it was a familliar story but with fun twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 1, 2012
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
My son loves this book and we especially thinks the illustrations are great! I'd recommend it as a fun read to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant parody of the original with pitch-perfect illustrations, August 10, 2014
This book was a present from my husband, who knows how much I love zombies and the original classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I read Caterpillar to our son all the time (Seriously. ALL. THE. TIME. Will he ever get tired of it?) and so it was cool to get this new book to throw into the rotation. I admit, it's a bit gory for young kids. It's about zombies - that's to be expected. The illustrations are gorgeous and match the style of the original perfectly. The book is worth it for the illustrations alone, but the story is great, too. Great for zombie-lovers or if you want a conversation piece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Grammar glitches, December 5, 2012
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
I was immediately taken by the idea of this book[[ASIN:B008TSNPOS The Very Hungry Zombie]. The Very ]Hungry Caterpillar was my son's favourite as a child and now he is fascinated by zombies and has a rather macabre sense of humour.I took a look inside the book on Amazon.co.uk and was disappointed to read the blood moon 'shown' down on the corpse, not 'shone' down. I am a native speaker although, like many, my English is not perfect. I also make allowances for poetic license however, that is just terrible grammar, which my son would have pointed out whenever we read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book, May 16, 2014
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading the story to my son. I was thinking it was a normal sized book but it is a little bigger than a board book for little children. I was disappointed in that but the book itself was fun and different so I can overlook the fact that it isn't a normal sized book. Everyone in the family enjoyed looking at the book and reading it, from college grads to elementary students it brought smiles & laughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nephew's gift, February 9, 2014
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my three year old nephew after borrowing it from the public library. It is a funny addition to his "zombie" library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Birthday present for little zombies, January 8, 2014
This review is from: The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody (Hardcover)
I got this for my God Son's birthday because he likes to read and loves zombies. This was the perfect combination of the 2. The adults seemed to enjoy it more than kids though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody
The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody by Michael Teitelbaum (Hardcover - October 16, 2012)
$14.95 $12.46