5.0 out of 5 stars Makes learning video poker painless
Published on December 1, 2000 by Sandy Decker

1.0 out of 5 stars save your money
Poorly arranged and just not useful.. was hoping it would be a good jump start to my upcoming cruise, but felt like a mini quiz
Published 21 months ago by no geek

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes learning video poker painless, December 1, 2000
Sandy Decker (Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
I've heard and read so often that with the right strategy you can actually come out ahead if you play video poker, but until now, have not been able to get a handle on a strategy. This book helped me tremendously. Not only did I learn to play better video poker, I actually had fun reading the book and learning. The quiz format made it painless. I've read other video poker books, but I always found it a bit grueling working my way through all the charts and calculations. John Grochowski makes it easy. He uses anecdotes to illustrate certain points and they serve as great memory triggers. The book has already helped me improve my play at some of the casinos near my home. I can't wait for my next trip to Vegas. I recommend the video Poker Answer Book to anyone who wants a better understanding of the game and how to play it. Fine learning tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific learning tool, October 26, 2000
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
My copy of The Video Poker Answer Book already is well-worn, as I read and re-read, study and quiz myself, and prepare every time I go to the casino. Needless to say, I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer from Arizona about the question-and-answer format. I think you learn by doing, and this book lets you work out the problems, then gives the explanations that underscore the learning experience. It's not just a cookbook that tells you what do do. It's really strong on explaining why we should play certain hands certain ways.
On top of that, it covers games I've never seen in any other video poker book. It seems that every other video poker writer thinks everyone plays in Las Vegas and has access to all the top pay tables. Well, I play mostly in Indian casinos in the Midwest, and I never see those games. I do see many of the games detailed in this book. It gives me the strategy changes I need for the lower pay tables I see in the Midwest. That makes this book the most complete video poker guide I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of its kind!, July 11, 2000
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
As a blackjack player, I've often tried my hand at video poker when the tables were "cold." Never won much... never lost much... and, after reading Grochowski's book, realize that I didn't know much! I've always heard that blackjack and video poker are the only two casino games where the player actually has a long-term chance at winning. I now know why VP, if played the way that John recommends that it be played, is distinguished from other machine games. His analysis of EVERY type of video poker game, and his recommended playing strategy for each type of machine, should give even the beginning player a great chance of going home with some of the casino's money! His writing style and anacdotes make the book fun and easy to read, and coupled with his comprehensive analysis of video poker, makes this a book that every casino gambler should own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read Book, January 19, 2001
Henry Tamburin (Greensboro, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
Of all the video poker books I have read and reviewed in my gaming columns, John's book ranks right up there as one of the best. Whether you are a novice player or have some experience playing video poker, you will become a much better player after reading his book. John's Q&A format also makes it easy for the reader to grasp key points and his recommended strategies & explanations on how the machines work are right on the money. Trust me - you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended for players who want to learn how to play & more importantly how to improve your chances of winning. Henry Tamburin....

5.0 out of 5 stars Browser's book, October 27, 2000
VP Bob (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
This is a book that's meant for browsing. Jump ahead to the games you like to play, skip the ones you don't. Try the quiz, or skip ahead to the answers -- the questions are repeated at the beginning of each answer. Read, and re-read, and when you can answer the questions without the prompts, you're ready to play in the casino. This is the fourth book on video poker I've read, and none is anywhere near as complete, nor as much fun, as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised How Well This Format Presented So Much Good Info, November 30, 2000
Jean Scott (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
I am an avid VP player, as you might know from reading my book The Frugal Gambler. My husband and I have been playing (and winning overall) for 11 years.
I know John's writings well, having read all his other books. However, when I knew he was writing a VP book, I was wondering how his Q+A format would be able to cover this wide-ranging subject. So many games, so many strategies?
But when I read the book, I was amazed at the amount of even rather complex information that he covered in such a simplified form. Why, I bet some people learned a lot without even realizing they had been studying! And most important of all, the information in this book is based on sound math principles - as all gambling writing should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking ... and fun, November 24, 2000
"raggstiger" (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
Video poker, the experts say, is a game that can be beaten if players learn expert strategy and stick to certain high-paying games. Those experts then usually give information on how to play those games, and ignore everything else.
This book is different. John Grochowski shows an understanding that most of us play for entertainment, and that we're not always going to have access to the games the experts say we should stick to. He shows how to get the most for your money out of games people really play. It doesn't claim to be a guaranteed system for winning. In fact, he comes right out and says that even experts will lose more often than they win. But he does show how to attack games that other books on the subject won't touch.
I like the quiz format. I think it's fun, and in his answers the author tells stories from personal experience that make this a really breezy read despite the numbers and calculations that go into the strategies. Without doubt, this is the best video poker book around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for every level, December 17, 2000
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
I was very pleased with the Video Poker Answer Book. I'm no novice to vp, it's my favorite game in the casino. I play fast and, I believe I play well. Yet there was valuable information and tips that I picked up from John Grochowski's book. It's clear and concise and the format works. Thanks for teaching an old dog some new tricks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific learning tool, October 26, 2000
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHWHILE READING- IT ANSWERS MANY OFTEN ASKED QUESTIONS, January 17, 2001
This review is from: The Video Poker Answer Book (Paperback)
THIS IS A GOOD BOOK FOR THE BEGINNING VIDEO POKER PLAYERS AS WELL AS THOSE WHO ARE AT MORE ADVANCED LEVELS. THERE ARE LOTS OF GOOD INSIGHTS INTO SUCCESSFUL PLAY AT A LARGE VARIETY OF VIDEO POKER GAMES. HOWEVER MR GROCHOWSKI DOES NOT GET INTO SUFFICIENT DETAIL TO ANSWER SOME OF THE ADVANCED DECISIONS THAT MUST BE MADE BY ALL VIDEO POKER PLAYERS. FOR EXAMPLE AT FULL PAY DEUCES WILD WHAT IS THE BEST STRATEGY (BASED UPON EXPECTED VALUES) IF ONE IS DEALT THREE DEUCES WITH TWO 3'S?, TWO 8'S?, TWO 10'S?. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE BEST STRATEGY IS TO KEEP THE FIVE OF A KIND UNLESS IT IS FIVE 3'S THROUGH 9'S? MR GROCHOWSKI DOES A GOOD JOB OF CRUNCHING THE PROBABILITIES AND PRESENTING EXPECTED RETURNS ON DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS, BUT IT MIGHT BE EASIER TO REMEMBER IF THERE WAS A CHART THAT ONE COULD TAKE WITH TO HELP WITH THE DECISION MAKING AT THE MACHINE. HE DOES PROVIDE A WRITTEN LIST RANKING THE HANDS WHICH HAS TO SUFFICE. ALL IN ALL THIS IS A WORTHWHILE BOOK FOR THE MONEY.

The Video Poker Answer Book
The Video Poker Answer Book by John Grochowski (Paperback - March 5, 2004)
$14.95 $12.14