Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Viking's Woman
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 3, 2005
As a lover of period and epic romantic novels, I was sorely disappointed that this novel contained no romance at all. Eric was so abusive to Rhiannon, I thought I had mistakenly bought a self-help book on the signs to determine if you're lover is abusive, instead of a romance novel. I enjoy fiesty, independent heroines and saw no real problems with Rhiannon, other than her reason for falling in love with a man like Eric. I cringe at the number of times he grabbed her by her hair, yanking it brutally; or ruthlessly throwing her on the bed before diving on top of her with all his weight, even while she was pregnant. The almost-rape left me cold and detatched. I cannot understand the motivation for Eric. I know he wanted and coveted land, but his personality was woefully lacking in charisma, humor and warmth. Eric was just another handsome character that was unworthy of the brave and intelligent heroine. I know men of that period considered women as property, whom they could treat as they please and abuse at will....but who want's to read about it in a romance novel?
on March 2, 2003
I don't usually bother to write reviews of books, but this is one I can't fail to write my opinion of. I am in love with the Viking era, read as many romances set in this time period as I can find, and an a member of a reinactment society. Yet this is the first Viking romance I couldn't bring myself to finish.
The history is fine, but even the setting was not enough to keep my attentions. Something just doesn't work about this book. We get both a tortured hero and a near-rape forced seduction all in one. No man who is a man commits rape, and there is simply not enough to this plot to overcome the hero's terrible failings.
I was disgusted.
on May 12, 2016
To my surprise, Heather Graham gave me a mystery, a book to relax and please me, and she actually interested me in the race of Vikings. Never one of my history interests but it seems that opening you eyes is one of the gifts of her books beside pure enjoyment.
I think her books will interest many ages. For the young or young at heart there is fantasy and dreams to escape into. For the middle age person will like the problem, the solution, the chase for right against wrong. For the old, they will enjoy the interests of all ages because they stir memories and feeling of when they had younger thoughts; besides remembering the feeling they had when they were young and in love.
on May 12, 2015
Heather Graham is one of the first authors I ever read and I'm still reading her. SO that should tell you how much I enjoy her books. Her books give you all the information needed to put yourself right there with the characters.
on September 28, 2013
I love a good Heather Graham story and this book did not disappoint me. Her style of writing incorporates romance suspense and mystery into each of her stories. This book kept me reading and anxious to read the next page, it was exceptional. Definitely a five plus star rating.
on September 15, 2010
This is the second in Graham's Viking trilogy (Golden Surrender, The Viking's Woman and Lord of the Wolves).

Set in 9th century Ireland (Eire), England and the north coast of France, these are the stories of Prince Olaf of Norway, the first Lord of the Wolves, and his bride, Princess Erin, daughter of the Irish High King, the Ard-Righ of Tara, and their descendants. I warn you that the Viking men are strong willed, arrogant and domineering, even if the two in the last two books are half Irish. Their women are independent, stubborn and courageous and can fight with the best of the men. They have no intention of allowing a Viking male who has taken everything from them to dominate them. But then wolves and the cubs of wolves mate for life or so says the druid who is advisor to the Irish king's family and these men are wolves. Each of the marriages is arranged over the objection of the females who fight the husbands who have laid claim to their lands and to them.

This, the second story, tells of Rhiannon, King Alfred's favorite niece who has lands on the Saxon coast of England, and Eric, second son of Olaf, King of Dubhlain in Eire (who we encountered in Golden Surrender). Alfred seeks Eric's aid to fight against the Danes, his enemies, and to defend Rhiannon's lands as most of her men are fighting with Alfred. But the message to tell Rhiannon that Eric is coming at Alfred's invitation is diverted through treachery and when Eric comes to her castle in his Viking ships, she thinks he's attacking and she defends. In the ensuing fight, she wounds him with her own arrow. When Alfred learns how Eric was greeted, he knows he must make up for it as he needs Eric's sword. So he decides to give both Rhiannon and her lands to the Viking lord. But while Eric wants the land badly, he does not want the woman. He has loved once and lost that love and does not desire to wed. Meanwhile, Rhiannon loves one of her own people, Rowan, who she believed she would marry. Though he doesn't want her, Eric consents to the marriage thinking he'll send Rhiannon to Ireland and be rid of her. She is forced to marry him in a hasty ceremony. As predicted, Eric does not treat her well. The wedding night is somewhere between a seduction and a rape (it has elements of both). It is a battle between them for most of the book. But love wins in the end.

Graham's writing is, as always, very well done with superb historical references woven into a complex love story that befits the cultures of the hero and heroine. I recommend it.
on March 20, 2013
Lots of twists n turns. Loved the love/hate relationship between the main characters. Found it odd the heroine goes from just finding out she's pregnant to having a kid a few pages later. Looking forward to the other books in the series.
on September 1, 2014
Every historical fiction novel I have read by Heather Graham has been amazing! The Viking's Woman did not dissapoint. I have learned more about the Civil War, and Midieval England and Scotland than any textbook.
on January 6, 2011
I have read some of the previous reviews and there is absolutely no rape in this book. Yes, she is unwilling to consummate their marriage but, well, I won't go into detail but her body sure seemed willing enough. And afterwards, she even admits to herself how much it excited her. Eric is a great hero, for being who he was. A man-of-war, of course he is not intuned to tender feelings and murmuring sweet-nothings. Yes, he manhandles his bride at times, but for when this book was written (1990), that was the style. He tries to understand his wife but she is what makes this a 4 star not a 5. She is very similar to Eric's mother in the first one. She is horrified to be married to a 'viking!' She goes on and on and on...well, you get the picture on what a bast*rd he is, d*mn viking till it gets a bit tiresome. She seems to forget he is half Irish and raised in Ireland. Real Vikings would have killed everyone and made her a slave. I think too much of the book is spent on her feeling sorry for herself. Only close to the end does she finally accept her fate and her feelings. The story is action-packed and humorous at times. If you don't like whining she-wolves, this is not the book for you. If you like action & a strong-alpha hero, you'll love it.
on March 8, 2016
Good story idea, but the book deals too much with the conflict between the two main characters..which in itself, is way too much !...its just one continual battle of words ALL through the book...they never shut up ! Neither trusts the other...I didnt even finish reading it.....i was tired of it by the time i was half way through the story...definitely needs a re-write.....