Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2005 8:16:47 PM PST
D. Dixon says:
I did not read this book, but when I was talking to my mother about the movie "The Village" she immediately thought of this book that she read with my brother when he was in middle school. Does anyone else find similarities? Should I read the book?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2005 8:41:48 AM PST
KestreLinden says:
I've read the book but have not seen the movie, "The Village." I also thought immediately of this book when I saw commercials for "The Village." Not having seen the movie, I can't really compare the two, but I can answer your question, "Should I read the book," with a resounding yes. It's not lengthy, it does leave you with an incomplete feeling at the end, but the questions and paths it helps you to explore put this book in my personal category of "Books Everyone Should Read." I read this book years and years ago in school and still think about it to this day.

I *did* see the movie, "Pleasantville," and while the settings and characters are very different, and while I enjoyed "Pleasantville" as a film in its own right, it seemed to me that whoever wrote that movie took the plot of "The Giver" right from the book without credit...a fine line of difference, imho.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2006 9:18:46 PM PDT
Having read this book (seven times) and only seen the movie once, I can add my YES! I felt the similarity but felt the book does a better job of painting the picture, whereas the movie has the "horror" aspect to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 11:04:58 PM PST
Ellen W. says:
Absolutely, yes. "The Village" was a pretty good movie, but "The Giver" far exceeds it in depth and story. I've read it at least three times. You will not be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 9:29:56 AM PDT
M. Covington says:
Actually, the plot of "The Village" is much more similar to the follow-up to "The Giver" entitled "Gathering Blue". In fact, it has the same very important, central plot point involving creatures in the woods (and what they are or are not).

"The Giver" is a great book that I really loved reading over and over as a kid (and now as an adult) so you should definitely read it if you're curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2007 8:34:30 AM PDT
Astabeth says:
That's funny - I read The Giver and then hunted up other books by Lowry (I didn't at first realize she had written Number the Stars, which I had already read), and found the Messenger. It really reminded me of The Village where The Giver didn't as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2007 2:59:01 PM PDT
THERE BE SPOILERS HERE

greetings, yes, i was thinking of the Village when he made his escape from the Community. I envisioned Jonas riding his bicycle to a containment wall and finding 'normalcy'. I thought this is where M. Night got his idea for The Village.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2005
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Giver
The Giver by Lois Lowry (Paperback - January 24, 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (7,684)