Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

on September 10, 2011
Entertaining spy story with lots of action and some spice. Interesting characters and plot develops nicely. Good for a weekend read. Unexpected ending but very satisfying.
on August 7, 2012
There were high spots and low spots in this non-stop action piece. I'm into character development and missed knowing a bit more about this group. I had no problem going page by page but wanted the pace more even. The ups are up but the down or slower parts take you out of the story. The Violin Man's Legacy was well written but I missed the real payoff with the dad. This is a hard one for me as I liked the read just missed things that were skipped over.
on September 2, 2012
Our story opens with a Triad member being appropriately rewarded by his boss. Having illustrated the kind of bad guys we can expect, we see two ruthless robberies take place in Holland.

Our primary hero, Jack Calder, is a former SAS commando who is now working for a civilian security firm. We hear about the demons from his past, from having lost his father as a young boy. I didn't think this issue seemed to add much to the story other than adding a human element to the character.

His boss sends him to Holland to investigate the two robberies and what follows is a straight-forward crime procedural. The thriller part, to my eyes, comes in to play when they start dispensing their own justice.

This book is very readable and is essentially a logical see-problem, ask-questions, get-all-the-answers tale. It contains a lot of dialog and exposition related to all the characters congratulating themselves and each other over their pasts, their willingness to help each other, overlooking the law ... just about everything, which bordered on extreme.

I attempted to read this book several months ago, but the copy I got from Amazon was right-justified and impossible to read. I recently deleted that one and downloaded another copy which had no such issue. It did change font and format at the 40% mark, but nothing that threw me out of the story.

I went back-and-forth over whether this is a 3 (average) or 4 (good) rating and decided it is a 3.5. The writing is good, but the story itself (for me) was a little lacking.

I read the Kindle Edition (SGC Publishing, July 2011, 247p) which I downloaded for free during a promotion.
on May 20, 2012
Readers, here is an author with a serious multifaceted ambiance that you should take notice of....

The Violin Man's Legacy:
Fast paced action that grabs you from the very first page mingles with spicy yet tasteful touches of steam to unwrinkle the investigative insights into the corporate world of security.

Travel around the world......
across Europe, to Hong Kong and South America as this arresting plot plays out.
No loose ends here readers and the 'legacy' will warm your heart with its honesty.
The characters are well built and sturdy enough to bring the reader back for a second read and a sequel or two!
Gallacher, tell us.... is there a sequel in the works?
on June 29, 2013
Like retired footballers turning trainer, this story is about the professional soldiers, SAS and mercenaries, who retire into the security business, bringing their expertise in organised violence to the protection of legitimate businesses.
The main characters are solitary individuals, often with a personal tragedy in their baggage. This is a very shady world, where instant decisions are made about who dies and how, leaving no time for agonising over the whys and the wherefors. Morally, it's all very easy, with few attacks of remorse afterwards. Bodies are left for the bin men to collect, and the killers of friends are tracked down remorselessly, just on the margins of legality, but with the connivance of the police.
I found myself turning the pages, hoping the characters on the `good' side would not get hurt, and hoping the `bad' guys would get what was coming to them. The action jets around the world, with some nice descriptions, that range from Jack's poverty-stricken childhood in Glasgow, to the exotic brilliance of Hong Kong. The ends are all tied up in a believable way, leaving the reader with a couple of South American vignettes that stick in the mind long after the story ends. This isn't a novel that seeks to deliver moral judgements. It's about camaraderie and friendship. Recommended to anyone who enjoys thrillers with the emphasis on people rather than politics or espionage.
on April 7, 2014
The Violin Man’s Legacy by Seamus Gallacher is fast paced, well written with nicely rounded characters. The story revolves around a security company, triads and gemstones.The action starts straight from page one and continues throughout with barely a pause.

Ex SAS Jack Calder is the main character in this testosterone driven, all action thriller. However, testosterone filled it may be, but Jack has another side as well. The body count is high, but this book also explores the psyche of Calder and how he comes to terms with the things he has to do. Yes, guns are an integral part of the story, as are violence and greed, but not the only part.

An enjoyable page-turning read for anyone who likes their action heroes to have just a little bit of humanity mixed with their machismo.
on February 21, 2013
This is a complex story I enjoyed reading. The scenes and culture of England, Holland, and Hong Kong are described in such detail and flavor I felt the author must've lived there. The writing was crisp and efficient.

I gave this novel four stars because the characters could've been shown with more emotion. This caused the story to drag at times. Also, the author seemed to think several pages of character's back stories, even minor ones, were important.

Otherwise, I'm glad I found this new author, for me, and look forward to reading more of his work.
on March 10, 2014
Seumas Gallacher has fast become one of my favorite authors. His thrillers are fast-paced, believable stories and the reader develops an immediate and lasting affection for his characters. I am reading Gallacher's stories of the former SAS troopers who comprise the ISP international security company, out of sequence - I stumbled on Savage Payback first - but there's no loss on continuity or enjoyment. These are solid reads - well-written, sturdily plotted.and as unsettling as finding 100 grams of Semtex concealed in your car.
on January 28, 2014
For this read I had a slow start perhaps because I don't normally select violent action suspense thriller mysteries. However,... This story caught my interest enough that I kept wanting to read a little bit more. Now that I've finished reading, I can't wait to begin the next of the series to see how these characters continue to develop.
on July 25, 2015
This was a VERY enjoyable read. I like spy and crime novels, but I do NOT like disgusting graphic violence.... I understand violence is part of crime and necessary to the telling, and this has some graphic violence - but described in a very "acceptable" way. I don't enjoy it if the telling is so graphic I want to lose my lunch....
This was a well-written, well-planned, well-paced, well executed plot from page 1. Not too perfectly tied up with ribbons like some of the 007 stories... this remained believable to a reader of the genre. Some authors put more depth into each main character, and I enjoy that when it's well done - but hate it when it overshadows the plot... so, Seumas didn't take us too deeply into our Captain Jack or his best friends, but deeply enough to bring us to care about them, and keep the spy aspect of the plot jogging right along! While fast-paced and exciting, it isn't filled with death-defying acts left and right that the main guy keeps surviving against all odds...those are silly. These are well-thought-out crimes and detective followups, with a believable element of danger. The dialogue is rarely over-done, coming across as natural, and in telling just the right amount of information.
I also love to travel - in reality and in my mind - so the many exciting locales of this book were a major enjoyment as well. It held my interest and kept me thinking - I didn't do a "well this is the secret bad guy" thing I can sometimes do - & don't enjoy - I want to be kept wondering if my hunches are right until the end. There were a couple of surprises along the way and I'm always glad of those. I will definitely be checking out if the rest of the series is as good as this one. This one was a highly enjoyable read and has the next in the series almost in my Cart as I write this.