This is a great book. It explains what works, and what doesn't, with loads of fun examples, and great insights.

Published 21 months ago by Technology Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars Largely disappointing
Don't expect to learn that much from the book, it's ony a collection of pointers to viral videos. A blog post would have been enough.
Published 20 months ago by Herve Kabla

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it! The QR codes embedded in the book make it a unique and fun reading experience, December 6, 2012
This review is from: The Viral Video Manifesto: Why Everything You Know is Wrong and How to Do What Really Works (Paperback)

One unique thing about this book that I really love is the way you can immediately see a video while reading the about the qualities that make it viral using the QR codes. No need to search youtube, etc., you stay "on task" reading the book, and see all the examples by pointing your phone at the codes.

The embedded QR codes create a surprisingly pleasant multimedia experience to have when reading a print book. I think we will see more books that use this approach.

This book is written by two guys that know what they are talking about. They've been creating viral content since 2006, and share the insights from their successes and failures. I had a good time reading this book, because the viral videos you watch along the way will keep you smiling, but I also learn a tremendous amount about what to do, and what to avoid.

The book is well written and well organized. It concludes with a series of 10 "Case Studies" that look at several videos through the new 'lens' of the their four viral video rules.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Video Going Viral is NOT Luck and Here's Why..., March 5, 2013
I wasn't sure about this book when I was given a chance to read it. It seemed interesting at first, but then I got it and put it aside for a while. I was doubting why I needed to read the book, after all I don't even make my own videos. When I finally picked it up though, I regreted waiting so long to read it.

You do NOT need to be in marketing or even make your own videos to read this book. I found it interesting, entertaining and informative, all in one. In addition, this is the first book I've seen that makes use of QR codes on more than just the back of the book. More on that below.

Since the book is about viral videos, it naturally has to talk about other viral videos and videos that tried to go viral but flopped. Reading about them is good but it's hard to understand what they are talking about if you haven't seen the video. So each time a video is mentioned, there is an accompanying QR code you can scan to go to a website that has the video ready to view. You can see the Viral Video Manifesto video list anytime you want.

This is a great feature but also meant that it took me longer to read this book than it normally would since I had to keep watching funny and interesting videos after a few paragraphs.

I enjoyed the videos, but it wasn't just watching the videos I loved. It was reading about why they went viral compared to others that might be similar but didn't go viral. I found it all very interesting and yet at the same time, everything I learned just made sense. Viral Video Manifesto was a great read. I had always thought a video going viral was luck or chance but it's not.

The Four Principles covered in the book are below and on the back of the book, but you have to read the book to fully understand what they mean. If you are just into funny videos and you wonder what makes them so popular, you will enjoy this book. If you own or work at a company and want to make a video that goes viral, you will need this book. If you think that someday, you might create your own videos for work or pleasure, you should read this book.

To be upfront, I did receive a copy of this book in exchange for a review but my reviews are honest, including this one.

The Four Principles:

Be True... Don't fake it. Make it real.
Don't Waste My Time... Get down to business right away.
Be Unforgettable.. Show us something we've never seen before.
It's All About Humanity.. An emotional connection is the key to sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars First credible guide to creating a viral sensation from scratch, December 11, 2012
Kent Nichols (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book cleanly and clearly describes recipes for virality. I received a galley copy and found myself nodding along in agreement on every page. There's never a guarantee something will go viral, but this is the first practical guide to creating an online sensation. Really well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars What Makes A Video Go Viral?, December 18, 2012
Online video is fairly new and the video techniques of the past don't work. The authors of this book have created numerous videos that have received millions of views on YouTube and other video sharing sites. They share their techniques for creating viral videos in this book.

The authors of this book present the following four rules for creating videos that attract millions of viewers;

*Be True
*Don't Waste My Time
*Be Unforgettable
*Ultimately, It's All About Humanity

The authors share their own personal experiences in creating videos that have been wildly popular on video sharing sites. They also feature other videos that have the same popular traits and have been favorites with online viewers.

The authors encourage readers to watch samples of viral videos as they read the book. There are QR codes embedded on the pages of the book so you can watch a video on your smart phone while you are reading the print book or a digital copy on your ereader.

The Viral Video Manifesto web site provides an excellent summary of the book and a chapter-by-chapter list of videos that are mentioned in the book.

This is a practical, informative and entertaining guide for video fans and producers. You don't have to be a pro to create a video that goes viral on YouTube. I can't say that the information in this book will make your videos overnight sensations on YouTube, but you will learn many principles and techniques that will give you a better understanding of what people are looking for in an Internet video.

I found the video samples extremely interesting and entertaining. You really MUST view the sample videos as you read the text in this book. A picture/video is worth a thousand words and will give you insight that you can't glean from the text alone.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in making videos for business or fun. You will gain a new understanding of what people want to view and what they don't want to view on YouTube.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart stuff, March 13, 2013
Ric Dragon "Ric Dragon" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(from my Social Media Today review)
On the night of December 12th, 2005, the Saturday Night Live comedians Chris Parnell and Andy Samberg recorded a rap song about mundane activities like eating cupcakes and seeing a Saturday matinee of Chronicles of Narnia. After airing, the video was posted to YouTube, which by that time had been active for about eight months. A couple of months later, NBC executives requested that YouTube remove the video. By the time YouTube complied, the video had been viewed over five million times, earning it the distinction of being the first viral video.

Oh, if we only we marketers knew how to make videos go viral, surely we would have a recipe for success. You can search "elements of a viral video" on Google, whereupon you'll be provided with a whole bevy of possible solutions. In The Viral Video Manifesto: Why Everything You Know is Wrong and How To Do What Really Works, authors Stephen Voltz and Fritze Grobe offer up their own recipe. By the way, Voltz and Grobe were the guys who made the most viewed of the many videos of Coke and Mentos, along with many others.

In all fairness, if making a viral video was like making a wedding cake, Voltz and Grobe aren't so much as providing a recipe as they are telling us to use only the finest flour, sugar, and butter. How you put those ingredients together into something that will be shared over a million times will be up to you, or whatever supernatural forces are overlooking such things.

The four elements proscribed in the book are:

Be true.
Don't waste our time.
Be unforgettable.
Ultimately, it's all about humanity.
Of the four, the authors write:

The more you can stick to all four, the better, although you don't have to be perfect to create a contagious video. Strength in one area can often overcome a deficiency in another.

Marketers today may be extolling the virtues of storytelling in everything from tweets to whole marketing campaigns, but interestingly, the authors here tell us to skip the storytelling. Instead, great viral videos have more in common with old Vaudeville sideshows. They make a good point, although I find that might my own favorite viral videos do encompass storytelling.

A fair chunk of the book is dedicated to the review of various viral videos, along with suggestion on how they could have been better. This is the type of brass tacks and nails advice that can benefit marketers. Many of us are coming from agencies where the tendency is to want to clean things up a bit much. Often, that cleaning up is the very thing that can keep a video from going viral.

I'm not sure that after reading The Viral Video Manifesto just anyone could pull off the magic feat of creating a viral video. In fact, there are probably only just so many slots for things to go viral. If you are aiming to create a video, though, and hope that it goes viral, I do think that reading this book could help provoke the right kind of thinking.

In many of the case studies cited in the book, there was a lot of work. Sure, there were those moments someone just happened to be in the right spot just as a lion and a crocodile got into a bloody battle, but for the most part, people put a lot of effort into whatever it was they were doing. To quote one of my favorite pieces of advice from the book, do it until you get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This practical guide unravels the secrets of viral video making, January 22, 2013
I read a lot of business and marketing books, especially those on how to use social media for business. And as someone who helps authors build their online platform using social media, I get asked a lot about how to create viral videos. That's why, when I saw the galley for Viral Video Manifesto available at NetGalley, I immediately clicked to request it.

This is an excellent book for all experience levels: whether you've been using YouTube for months, or whether you're just getting started with your own YouTube channel. It's useful if you're new to the world of social media marketing, and it's a great book even if you have extensive online marketing experience.

This book focuses on how to create videos that are likely to go viral by using a simple four-rule checklist, and it includes plenty of examples of what works and why. It also includes a wealth of examples of what didn't work and why not. The editors also included QR codes for each of the videos mentioned in the book, which makes it easy to access the videos on your tablet or smart phone as you're reading. I read the book on my iPad and accessed the videos on my iPhone as I read. Loved that!

The authors are Stephen Voltz and Fritz Grobe, the two guys who created the Diet Coke and Mentos geysers that I'm sure you've heard of, even if you haven't seen the video. They're also the founders of Eepybird, a company that explores creative uses for ordinary objects...and videos the results. They have years of experience creating viral videos, and they've broken down the secrets of "going viral" into four simple ingredients.

So...what can you learn from this book?

You can learn how to create videos that are likely to go viral online using four simple principles:

1. Be true
2. Don't waste my time
3. Be unforgettable
4. Ultimately, it's all about humanity

I'd tell you more, but honestly...if you're interested in viral video making, you need to just get this book.

For marketers, each section includes a special note to ensure that readers avoid the typical mistakes that old-school marketers make when using social media. To recap: be honest, no product shots, be bold, and let your brand be human.

In addition to the numerous viral videos mentioned throughout the book, they include a selection of ten viral videos as case studies at the end of the book. Some of these you may already be familiar with, others not. The important thing is that they break down each video and analyze it according to their four principles of viral video making. The case studies are vital to drive home the message with clear examples.

When you read the book, you'll find yourself nodding your head. It's all common sense, and it's all perfectly clear as you read it. But it took these guys, with their extensive video-making experience, to break it all down for us in bite-sized chunks.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is building an online platform for their business or other organization, and who wants to give viral video creating a try. Whether you're new to social media or an experienced user, you'll find this book to be very useful. This is another book that I'll be picking up as a paperback to use as reference.

Good luck, and happy filming!

Disclaimer: As mentioned, I received a complimentary ebook copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, August 6, 2014
Entertaining, easy to read and in-depth. I enjoyed the main part of the book as well as the case studies at the end. I feel I got some great advice here that I wouldn't have found elsewhere and it wasn't just a bunch of "Oh yeah, anybody could figure that out," like some advice books are. All-in-all I would recommend it to anyone who's trying to go viral as I'm sure it will help. Thanks to the authors for their work on this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, February 14, 2014
A must-read for anyone interested in creating viral videos. It's amazing but these videos do apparently all have some things in common!

4.0 out of 5 stars Are viral videos a legitimate form of marketing? They are if you do them right., September 4, 2013
There is something of a paradox lurking just beneath the surface of Stephen Voltz and Fritz Grobe's entertaining, useful and valuable book "The Viral Video Manifesto" - and it's not the one in the book's subtitle, "Why everything you know is wrong and how to do what really works".

The paradox has to do with the very nature of viral videos and advertising.

For who among us has not been called into a meeting with an excited brand manager or CMO who wants to show us a video that is currently making the rounds of his friends on facebook. "Look at that" he says "it's got 10 million views! And it was made for just peanuts! Why can't we do that?"

About a third of the way into their book, Voltz and Grobe - the guys who gave us the Diet Coke & Mentos ([...] videos and who then went on to start the successful viral video studio EepyBird - explain just (to read the rest of this review, please visit: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Really what I've expected for, June 27, 2013
Angel E Pariente (Yoqneam Eillit, Israel) - See all my reviews
Clear, "to the point", funny and at the same time compelling. A nice and enlightening reading. If you are interested in the new trends of on-line video, don't miss this one.

$22.00 $16.50