Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 10, 2014
This is a great premise and it encompasses some of the same ideas as Primal, Paleo, Diet Evolution, etc. Her favorite idea is that you are what you eat, ate. It's not just the food you eat but what that chicken ate before his or her head was on the chopping block. The idea that certain foods escalate inflammation and thus weight gain is sound. However I agree that all the testimonials distracted from the true information you needed to implement her protocol. And it is a protocol that is high maintenance. The title sounds low maintenance but it is deceiving. Eating this way and making a lifestyle choice to follow this diet forever is not for everyone. But if it makes you feel good isn't it all worth it?
on April 11, 2014
Easy to follow and understand this food plan.
I did it for two weeks, then adjusted my calorie intake a bit,
then back on it again after two more weeks.

I've lost 60 pounds since January
Thank you!!!
on May 24, 2013
In terms of weight loss, Yes, I DID drop 7 pounds in 7 days...but I only made it to day 16 of the initial 21 day "elimination" phase before I caved and ate an omlette with a little cheese in it. Very, very restrictive for vegetarians, especially if you don't have oodles of time to prepare all of your meals from scratch (I ate alot of salads and the recommended shakes with pea protein in them).
I am also a returning runner and felt that I truly "ran out of fuel" 3 miles into what should have been a 5 mile run.
The most significant BENEFIT that I found from my trial of this plan was discovering how hooked I was on artificial sweeteners/ "diet" beverages! I can honestly say that since giving these up (and let me tell you, life without diet Coke was really tough initially) I am amazed at how much better everything else tastes! Fruit now tastes wonderfully, naturally sweet.
Personally, I've revised/ streamlined my own plan to eliminate the foods that I suspect I may have sensitivities to: gluten, peanuts, corn, and definitely all sugary processed items AND artifically sweetened "diet" products. Avoiding corn.
I am allowing dairy in moderation- kefir, a little fat free milk occasionally, sheep/goat cheese. I eat eggs maybe once a week.
Trying to avoid soy/tofu but I this was always only an occasionall food group for me and will keep it as such. Let's see how this modification goes!
on June 26, 2013
I purchased this book because I was reacting badly to several foods, including eggs, gluten, and dairy, and I wanted to see what the author had to say about food allergies. There was a lot of good information presented, but the program she suggests is WAY too rigid for me, and I don't think I could ever follow it!

Like most people, I enjoy food, and I will be happy if I can get myself to eat right 80-90% of the time. Deprivation just makes you want the foods you can't have, and I think being overly rigid leads to binging, so the end result is worse than allowing sensible indulgences (and I don't mean 3 tiny bites of forbidden food a month, as Ms. Virgin suggests)! I try to eat right six days, and have one day where I eat what I want. If I'm craving something, I plan it for my day "off," and that works for me. It also helps me plan around social engagements, where I know there will be treats. I find that I don't go overboard (I have a bottle of Coke, a regular meal of my choice, and a dessert of some kind), and then I'm satisfied and ready to get back to healthy eating.

As far as a way of eating, I think the book Primal Blueprint makes the most sense of anything I've read, and paleo/primal eating seems to be getting really popular. It's very logical, and the success stories on his website are very impressive. Best of all, the author, Mark Sisson, has a less rigid approach to eating and exercise that I can follow more easily, and still enjoy life.
on November 5, 2015
I lost twelve pounds and found it easy coming from an already "fairly clean" lifestyle. I only felt cravings for about 3 days. I am fortunate that I don't suffer any health issues, but even so, felt less foggy and more energized. I convinced my morbidly obese mother to give it a try as she was suffering from all of the obesity-related health issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and now kidney disease, and very limited mobility (read no exercise). She lost 62 pounds in 6 months, which is almost a miracle. She had to cut back on the protein portion of the "plate" because of her kidneys, and hasn't lost any more weight this year (she admits to cheating), but her joints are less achy, she has cut way back on her insulin, and has a much easier time with her elimination issues. I did get her most of the recommended supplements for leaky gut. So long as she keeps the protein portions smaller, her doctors are pleased with her labs and her progress. She in turn now recommends the diet. Given her advanced years and multiple health issues, her experience during just those six months on this anti-inflammatory diet should give others hope. Read the whole book. Try new vegetables. It can be as simple or creative as you have time for. I use another protein powder that meets the requirements JJ lays out on pg.171 when I'm in a rush (I eat mostly real food now); my mother orders a hemp version online. You may not be able to get all of the organic, non-GMO, and grass-fed foods, but by sticking to the "dirty-dozen" list of fruits and vegetables and buying organic only those items with the highest pesticide levels, you'll do okay. In my region, organic berries are much cheaper frozen and are available year round. As for the meat and fish, I think the money you save by not buying processed and packaged foods goes a long way towards buying more of those healthier protein choices, not to mention the co-pays and out-of-pocket medical bills you can potentially avoid. Once you've figured out which foods you're intolerant to and you've lost the desired amount of weight, there are low carb and Paleo recipes which can be tweaked and adjusted for a bit more variety, if you so desire.
The reviewer who thought this was like a job must not have read the whole book. There is a lot of information and repetition, but once assimilated it prepares you for success. This diet is similar to others now in vogue, but we found it fairly simple and painless to follow and the results are so worthwhile.
on November 28, 2012
I have personally coached with JJ Virgin who not only changed the way I feel based on the foods I was eating she saved my life. Her advice is spot on. When I started to work with her I was diagnosed with Ciliac after many years going undiagnosed and also after having my entire large intestine removed when I was in my twenties based on one of the most severe cases of ulcerative colitis my doctor has ever seen. I was married to a farmer and they grew corn, soybean and cotton since most of the corn in this country is not grown for food it is not regulated for chemicals and therefor is harmful. Have you ever eaten corn then you know the drill, corn in and corn out, another words, your body does not properly process corn. I also would like to say that I don't eat beef, dairy, corn, gluten, soy or eggs. I have never felt better in my life. My skin has cleared up and I have more focused energy then I have even had in my life. When I fall off the wagon it is always for dairy and I always pay the price but that cheese is so hard to pass up sometimes;-) JJ knows her stuff. She is accurate with the advice she gives her clients and readers. I trust her with my life and would HIGHLY recommend her book. I lost 10 lbs after making the changes she suggested in two weeks. It was as if the weight just melted off. Buy her book it is worth the money for sure.
on August 16, 2015
Totally works. Lost 13 LBS in 3 weeks and the shakes (which I made myself with the right protein powder from Vitamin Shoppe) are so good and filling, I never felt hungry. Going to keep on going with the supplement shakes to try for another 10 lbs. Started at 175, my ideal weight is around 150 (or lower ;)
on February 10, 2014
This program really works. I've only been on it a few weeks but feel a lot better and, despite eating well and a lot, have already lost about 9 pounds. It is challenging to completely change our way of eating. But it is a very rewarding challenge when met.
on December 30, 2014
Yes, I think if anyone were to follow this very restrictive diet, they would lose weight. She says you have to do it all, not just SOME of it. She likens your current, "bad" diet to placing four tacks on a chair and then sitting on them, even though that would hurt a lot. Then she says that if you only pick and choose which parts of her diet to follow, it's the equivalent of removing three tacks from your butt. The fourth tack is still there and causing you pain. I can understand her logic.... however, I'm not about to give up eggs, grains, yogurt and the occasional serving of edamame, so I guess I'll be stuck with a couple tacks in my butt.

A few other things: 1) I don't care what she says, eating a serving or two of carrots is NOT bad for you. 2) Those shakes she gives recipes for sound disgusting. I won't even bother getting ingredients to make them. 3) Drinking only certain amounts of water at specific times that SHE thinks is best? I so don't think so. I drink more than enough water. If I drank only what she told me to drink and when, I'd be dehydrated. 4) She's very dietary supplement-happy. I don't buy into that method of health maintenance. If you put a rainbow (of naturally colorful fruits and veggies) on your plate. you don't NEED supplements. (Well, okay. I do agree with her about Vitamin D3. But that's it.)

After reading this whole book, I think I will just stick with my original plan of cutting out most of the regular sugar and all of the artificial sweeteners, not drinking carbonated beverages, cutting down/out the caffeine, eating butter and olive oil and cutting out the margarine, eating more greens, and eating smaller portions of full-fat wholesome food items. (I have had the hardest time lately trying to find whole milk plain yogurt.... all anyone seems to want to sell is nonfat or low fat crap.)
on April 4, 2015
This book has been incredibly helpful. My worries about being overweight are over. I am not at ideal weight yet, but well on my way and with no suffering. I eat lots of delicious foods and continue to lose....albeit slowly. Last year I went on my first cruise one month after reading this book. I ate well, taking seconds when I really wanted it, and came back weighing 1/2 lb. less than when I left.