1,393 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I need a new belt!!!
Most of the people I know could lose a little weight. I know I'm among the "most people." We want to, we know the traditional ways that we "SHOULD" eat and exercise, BUT... something gets in the way. So we carry that weight, a little more each year. Another promise made - and broken - each year.

And then, I heard JJ Virgin talk about the 7 foods that cause...
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Is It Really All FI?
As many readers are aware, the food intolerance and elimination diet ideas have been around for a very long time. This book is a decent synthesis of that tradition, but the author's many statements of certainty leave me cold.

I am a physiologist working in the field of adult metabolic dysfunction, and I agree with her that diet is the cause of pretty much all...
Published 14 months ago by JerzeyBird

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ALL True, December 6, 2012
Three years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. My energy went down, my weight went UP, my hunger sky-rocketed and my moods were all over the place. My doctor signed me up for a diabtetes workshop given by our hospital. I did learn a lot but nothing improved. I went from always being slim and petite to being round and petite. I'm now on day 14 of following JJ's rules, to the letter. All the way -- no moderation but rather ELIMINATION of the 7 foods she talks about. First thing I noticed my hunger decreased. Instead of needing to eat/snack every 1-2 hours I was able to make it to lunch without eating a snack, then I could make it to dinner with just a small apple and 1 Tbsp of almond butter mid afternoon. Then MOST amazing I did not need to eat anything after dinner. WOW!!!! My pot belly that I had all my life began to flatten. I feel better, more energy and I'm losing weight. I appreciate good doctors and thank them all for being there when we need them but they have it all wrong about diabetes. I think I'll give my doctor a copy of JJ Virgin's book for Christmas. Thank you JJ -- you are changing my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, January 29, 2013
I was so bored with the repetitive information and stories. It seemed I was being brain washed. If I read the same thing over and over, then I would believe this informaiton would work. Waste of time and way out there on losing 7 lbs in 7 days. Also getting repeated emails from the author wanting me to buy into her $200.00 plan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost 20lbs, no more acid reflux, life is much better without these foods, November 29, 2013
Generally I am a skeptic when it comes to fast weight loss programs, having tried a number of them over the years, but I had some health reasons that drove me to give this one a try.

Prior to this program, which I started in March 2013, I had almost daily acid reflux, regular bloating, and was unhappy with where my weight was going. I wasn't eating like crazy, and was watching my carb and sugar intake, plus was walking more, but I just wasn't seeing results.

I began the program which is 3 weeks of removing 7 foods from your diet. After those three weeks are up you slowly start adding things back to see where our food sensitivities are, and for me, I discovered some things right away.

Within two days of starting the program, my acid reflux was completely gone (and is hasn't come back). No more popping Rolaids or Tums every few hours all night long. I also noticed that I wasn't bloated after lunch anymore. Something was working. And then the weight started to drop. Although I don't know if I lost exactly 7 pounds in the first week, I did lose over 20lbs by April, and have kept the weight off.

I discovered that my sensitivities tend to be gluten and corn products. But I have still pushed a lot of these foods out of my diet permanently. But I should mention how easy this was - I never felt like I was depriving myself.

Here's an example: I love peanut butter. Peanuts are on the list. What to do? Switch to almond butter. I found that I actually like almond butter more than peanut butter - so no deprivation of enjoyment.

But what about pasta, because I love to make pasta! Switch to rice noodles. They taste just like fettuccine and they cook faster. Make a homemade marinara sauce and you'll never know you aren't eating wheat-based noodles.

But what about the holidays! This year, gluten-free stuffing, using store-bought gluten-free bread (made from rice flour). It was the perfect stuffing and we couldn't tell any difference from regular bread.

But I love milk! So switch to almond milk or coconut milk. Both of which are also great for cooking, sauces, and more. Use the coconut milk in the can (with the fat) for cooking or cream-based sauces, and use the coconut milk in the carton for your gluten-free cereal or regular drinking.

The point is - the program is THREE WEEKS. After that, you'll discover your sensitive spots, and can either add things back that don't bother you, or completely cut them out and switch to other things. It's never about depriving yourself...just shifting what you eat/consume to something that is healthier and better for your body/life.

A solid 4 stars for the quality of the material in the book and how easy it is to follow the guides / recipe suggestions to make those three weeks work for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diet and much easier than expected, December 6, 2012
Thank you JJ Virgin for sharing your research and practice with the world. I am on Day 4 of the Challenge and I have already lost four pounds. This is amazing since I am 61 years old, workout with a personal trainer 3 days a week and do more exercise the other days, have eaten gluten free for three years and have been unable to lose on other diets. I am in good shape and only need to lose 5-15 more pounds but I have confidence that I can do this now in a way that I have not in quite some time. On the third day my energy level shot way up and I was able to be more productive than usual. The quality of my sleep is wonderful even better than when I started with CPAP therapy.

A few years ago I did Mark Hyman's Ultra Simple Diet which was hard but got results. I had the same initial exhaustion the first day of this diet but it passed quickly. Now I have so much energy, no cravings, no more muscle and joint pain that were constant before. I am confident that I can lose the rest of the weight in short order and now I realize how important it will be to maintain a viligent watch on what I eat. I know there is another sensitivity besides the gluten and I am looking forward to figuring out what that is. I suspect it is dairy because the only food I really miss is the cheese.

Before the book came out I was receiving videos from JJ Virgin and they stimulated my interest. Normally I would not have attempted to diet during the hoidays but I decided to make an exception and I am so glad that I did. This year I am going to reverse the trend of weight gain during the holidays and lose weight instead. I ordered the book the day it came out and got it overnight. It was an easy read and I got through it completely by the next day. Then I took the Challenge and went grocery shopping at Whole Foods. My house is full of fresh organic foods and I feel freed from worrying about my weight and tracking every calorie and nutrient.

There are many surprises. It is not hard to follow the diet and by eliminating the seven foods it seems that food cravings are a thing of the past. I have eliminated gluten, dairy, sugar/articial sweetners and soy in the past but not the corn and peanuts. It has been easier to do all of these than it was to elminate just one or two. My recommendation is to read this book and if you are inspired to radically and successfully change your diet and your health for the better you will know that this is the right path for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This program WORKS, November 29, 2012
I was lucky enough to hear about THE VIRGIN DIET before the book published and I did the program with a bunch of friends. I was shocked at the results. I didn't have a lot to lose, but 5 pounds melted off of my body in the first week. Best of all, by day 4 of the program, my energy level was sky high and my everpresent anxiety was GONE. I felt like I could handle whatever came my way. I lost 9 pounds in the first 4 weeks and have lost a total of 15 pounds since starting the program. I swear I haven't been this fit since college! And I'm not a diet girl--I really hate feeling hungry or deprived. I was dubious at first because of dropping the 7 foods, but it helped that you could eat plenty of real, filling food on this program. I never felt deprived and now that I've been following THE VIRGIN DIET for a while, I don't get strong cravings anymore and I don't get that afternoon energy slump. I'm stronger and healthier and have more energy to exercise. I couldn't recommend this program highly enough! Don't be daunted by the idea of giving up 7 foods--it's JUST FOR 3 WEEKS! Then you customize the program and make it work for you. And it helps that you lose weight quickly--that will be the motivation you need to stick with it in the beginning!

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost 10 pounds on the JJ Virgin Diet in one month, November 20, 2013
Christine Abraham (San Francisco California, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I lost 10 pounds on the JJ Virgin Diet in one month and I'm living and eating healthy again! In just one month I went down two pant sizes, my brain is more focused, and I feel happy. I spent a fortune on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, HCG Supplements, and other diet programs- and failed to keep off the weight. After reading the JJ Virgin Diet book I realized the problem was not my "willpower" or my "blood sugar problems" or "emotional eating." In fact, my problem was that I had an unknown sensitivity to two foods- gluten and dairy- and eating them triggered an allergic reaction and weight gain in my body. So no matter how much money I spent on diet programs, unless I stopped eating these two foods for six months, I would always struggle with my weight.

Keep in mind, when I first bought the JJ Virgin Diet book, I was discouraged and threw it into the trash! I did not want to be on a restrictive diet as I had failed so many diets in the past. Yet something in the back of my mind said "Get the book out of the trash and read it," so I did!

Since my sister looks amazing after being on the diet, I called her for advice. The first thing she did was take me to a healthy food store (such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes or New Leaf) and showed me what products I needed for the first three weeks of cycle one. So I purchased these items:

Unsweetened Soy Delicious Coconut Milk
Brown Rice Pasta
Sugar Free, Corn Free, Pasta Sauce
Pea Protein Powder
Apples, Broccoli, spinach and Frozen Fruits
Cashews
Ghee Butter
Ground Flax Seed
I quickly discovered that pea-protein powder takes like really disgusting baby food (think smashed green peas) and so I ordered the JJ Virgin Diet version from her website and the taste was much better. For my morning meal I start with the chocolate protein powder, ground flax-seed, frozen cherries, fresh spinach leaves (you can't taste it), coconut milk and a dash of cinnamon. My smoothie is delicious and keeps me full until lunch. On cycle one I had my largest meal at lunch so I would not feel deprived during the day. I would eat the brown rice pasta with a pasta sauce, or with broccoli and cashews. I'd cook a big batch of pasta on Sunday and then all I needed to do was to take the cooked pasta and reheat in the microwave with my toppings. For dinner on cycle one I would have another smoothie, vanilla flavor with different fruits.

I was not hungry on the JJ Virgin Diet because a nutritionist placed me on healthy vitamins two weeks before starting. Also, since I have been caffeine free for three years I did not struggle with caffeine detox. My sister and a few friends observed an extreme hunger the fist three days of starting the diet, then their hunger went away.

On the reintroduction cycle, I quickly noticed when my body reacts to a food. When I introduced gluten, I got an immediate migraine, my fingers became swollen and I had an asthma attack...it was incredible! When I introduced dairy, I started getting nausea and noticed I was congested and sneezing constantly. I stopped the dairy and three days later the symptoms were gone, plus I lost the three pounds I gained while eating dairy! In addition to following the JJ Virgin Diet, I also use My Fitness Pal to track my food and symptoms.

CAUTION: Beware of the knock-off books and products claiming to be the JJ Virgin Diet. I wasted money on a cookbook published by a woman who was not affiliated with the program and was disappointed in the cookbook.

Final note: I recommend this in a printed book rather than an ebook as you will want to reference specific chapters and resources in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Virgin gives readers a way of losing weight as well as information about good and bad foods, December 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
JJ Virgin advertizes that her diet is: "drop 7 foods and lose 7 pounds in just 7 days," and I found that her diet works. The seven foods are gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, peanuts, and sugar and artificial sweeteners. These foods are avoided because many people's bodies are unable to tolerate these foods. Thus, even if such people eats what most people consider healthy foods, in moderation, and exercises an hour or more a day, food intolerance can stop these people from losing weight. The only solution is to stop eating foods that the body can't tolerate, and these seven are the foods that many people can't tolerate. The diet isn't as simple as the triple number 7 slogan seems to indicate: it is longer than seven days, there are three phases, and people who want to maintain their weight lose need to realize that diet means a lifetime eating plan.

Virgin dedicates her first 146 pages to describe what the seven foods do to the body and why they should be avoided. She states that even after the three cycles, which we will describe below, are finished it is best "at least 95 percent of the time, (to) avoid sugar, fruit juices and high-glycemic juices, corn, soy, and peanuts." She, then, describes the "three cycles to lose weight for good." Briefly stated, during the first 21 days, dieters are should "let go of the (seven) foods that are most likely to cause food intolerance, inflammation and unbalanced blood sugar." In the 28 days of cycle 2, four of the seven foods can be eaten, one during each of the four weeks, but only for four of the seven days, and not eaten again until phase 3. Cycle 2's goal is to see if the dieter has any reaction from the introduced food. The four foods that are reintroduced are soy, gluten, eggs, and dairy. Virgin prefers that we avoid corn, peanuts, and sweeteners forever, as much as possible. In cycle 3, Virgin discusses her diet for life.

The book is jammed-filled with a cornucopia of other information about foods. For instance, she advises that coconut milk is excellent, people should not drink water while they are eating because it interferes with digestion, and eat in moderation (she explains how). In short, Virgin gives readers a diet that takes off pounds and an education about good and bad foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!, December 26, 2012
Ive tried all kinds of diets to rid myself of an extra 10 pounds. I'm 58 and quite active, but like many women my age, I have struggled with those last few stubborn pounds. I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and was amazed. No cravings after the first few days and just felt remarkably better overall. I will say that I probably wasn't a strict about eliminating every single item/ingredient advised (for example, I discovered that there was a soy additive in my rice crackers, but ate them, with no ill effects, anyway). However, I made significant overall changes as advised... IE., to drink coconut milk in place of my beloved dairy milk, and I also eliminated all other major foods listed. For breakfast, I found smoked salmon, or sliced ham on gluten free toast, to be most satifying. Also gluten free toast with almond butter, and a banana, or fresh fruit is filling too. The rest of the meals were easy to find substitutions, and one can easily go out to eat and order veggies and lean protiens. I did also drink wine and spirits, and again, suffered no ill effects. Highly recommend this if you have tried everything else!

1.0 out of 5 stars Promo for Expensive Products, February 13, 2013
The book leads to a web site that offers for sale a whole lot of expensive add-ons. If one doesn't purchase from the web site's initial offers, the offer price is cut in half and the product is delivered online only instead of being mailed to the purchaser. J.J. really pushes her shake mixes that cost $2 a meal plus shipping. My copy of the book will be offered elsewhere online or recycled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unhappy with Results, or lack thereof, December 13, 2012
I started this diet nine days ago. The first day I ate a banana so I decided to start over. The next day I drank sweetened almond milk, not realizing it at the time. So today is my official 7th day without any mistakes.

For 7 days I have had to watch the ingredients on everything I eat. It is not all that easy. This is perhaps the hardest diet in terms of figuring out what you can eat. That said, I am in no way hungry or feel starved on this diet. Once I do find the items they are healthy. The shakes are not at all good, but I have never liked any kind of powder shake so take that with the grain of salt intended.

I had a slight increase in energy some days and a depletion of it on others. I think this was just natural ebb and flow. The substitutions were not delicious. Coconut milk and cinnamon is NOT as good as cream or milk in your coffee. The only good substitute the book mentions that tastes better is almond butter for peanut butter, but I had made that change long ago.

None of the promised results are coming to fruition. In fact, my stomach appears to be more upset. No flattened stomach;in fact more bloat if that is possible. My skin is clear but my skin often is.

But hey, at least I am going to lose weight: except I have NOT. As of this morning I weighed exactly what I did when I started this diet. For the spirit of being able to say I lost something, I took off my shirt and reweighed. I managed to get half a pound down. Understand that is not typically how I weigh myself, but it is actually a sort of bizarre situation to be 9 days into this diet having had none of the 7 products and not have dropped on single pound. I will continue this diet for at least another week and if the results have changed I will edit these comments.

As of right now, I am very disappointed to have invested all the front end work it took to get the right products into my house <this diet is not cheap> and to not have gotten one note worthy result. I honestly think my pants are tighter, but I am hoping it is just the bloat.

The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days by J. J. Virgin (MP3 CD - November 27, 2012)
$29.99 $23.31