1,352 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I need a new belt!!!
Most of the people I know could lose a little weight. I know I'm among the "most people." We want to, we know the traditional ways that we "SHOULD" eat and exercise, BUT... something gets in the way. So we carry that weight, a little more each year. Another promise made - and broken - each year.

And then, I heard JJ Virgin talk about the 7 foods that cause...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Is It Really All FI?
As many readers are aware, the food intolerance and elimination diet ideas have been around for a very long time. This book is a decent synthesis of that tradition, but the author's many statements of certainty leave me cold.

I am a physiologist working in the field of adult metabolic dysfunction, and I agree with her that diet is the cause of pretty much all...
Published 12 months ago by JerzeyBird

5.0 out of 5 stars DAY 6 RESULTS!! DOING A HAPPY DANCE!, December 5, 2012
I am a vegan and while I disagree with JJ about her assertion that people must eat animal flesh to be healthy, I absolutely 1000% agree about the 7 intolerant foods to eliminate. I have done so and as of the 6th day doing this, I have more results than I can even list, but bare with me, I'll try to get them all in: no more hair loss. Was losing a lot in the shower. It stopped. Could not lose weight no matter how hard I worked out and I was eating plant based, and LOTS of soy...duh. As of day 6 I've gone from a tight size 8/10 to a 6. I am not kidding. I would not have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. ALso a woman said I looked too young to have kids, I must've been 12 when I had them. When I told her I had my 19 year old when I was 29 she about gasped. wow. This is fun. All cravings for sugar and crap are GONE. Blood sugar totally stable. can eat a small meal and go at least 6 hours without being hungry again. Before I felt like I was shoveling food (healthy whole VEGAN foods filled with soy, corn and gluten) down a bottomless pit. I coudn't eat enough. and what started me on this was abdominal pain and constipation so bad for two months I was getting ready to schedule a colonoscopy because I thought I had colon cancer. This, plus the bloating, was GONE AFTER ONE MEAL. I am also juicing everyday and started doing yoga everyday and I do not eat animal flesh, which I really believe is the healthiest way to go, but thats me. Its only week one. I believe at this rate, I will be down to a size 4 in two more weeks. I haven't been that size since before kids. Thats 20 years ago. Never thought Id get there. I would love to see all children on this diet. So many of their issues would be healed to. This diet is going to transform the world. and healthcare. I'm convinced of it. JUST DO IT!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I lost 10 pounds on the JJ Virgin Diet in one month, November 20, 2013
Christine Abraham @LifeVerseBooks (San Francisco California, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I lost 10 pounds on the JJ Virgin Diet in one month and I'm living and eating healthy again! In just one month I went down two pant sizes, my brain is more focused, and I feel happy. I spent a fortune on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, HCG Supplements, and other diet programs- and failed to keep off the weight. After reading the JJ Virgin Diet book I realized the problem was not my "willpower" or my "blood sugar problems" or "emotional eating." In fact, my problem was that I had an unknown sensitivity to two foods- gluten and dairy- and eating them triggered an allergic reaction and weight gain in my body. So no matter how much money I spent on diet programs, unless I stopped eating these two foods for six months, I would always struggle with my weight.

Keep in mind, when I first bought the JJ Virgin Diet book, I was discouraged and threw it into the trash! I did not want to be on a restrictive diet as I had failed so many diets in the past. Yet something in the back of my mind said "Get the book out of the trash and read it," so I did!

Since my sister looks amazing after being on the diet, I called her for advice. The first thing she did was take me to a healthy food store (such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes or New Leaf) and showed me what products I needed for the first three weeks of cycle one. So I purchased these items:

Unsweetened Soy Delicious Coconut Milk
Brown Rice Pasta
Sugar Free, Corn Free, Pasta Sauce
Pea Protein Powder
Apples, Broccoli, spinach and Frozen Fruits
Cashews
Ghee Butter
Ground Flax Seed
I quickly discovered that pea-protein powder takes like really disgusting baby food (think smashed green peas) and so I ordered the JJ Virgin Diet version from her website and the taste was much better. For my morning meal I start with the chocolate protein powder, ground flax-seed, frozen cherries, fresh spinach leaves (you can't taste it), coconut milk and a dash of cinnamon. My smoothie is delicious and keeps me full until lunch. On cycle one I had my largest meal at lunch so I would not feel deprived during the day. I would eat the brown rice pasta with a pasta sauce, or with broccoli and cashews. I'd cook a big batch of pasta on Sunday and then all I needed to do was to take the cooked pasta and reheat in the microwave with my toppings. For dinner on cycle one I would have another smoothie, vanilla flavor with different fruits.

I was not hungry on the JJ Virgin Diet because a nutritionist placed me on healthy vitamins two weeks before starting. Also, since I have been caffeine free for three years I did not struggle with caffeine detox. My sister and a few friends observed an extreme hunger the fist three days of starting the diet, then their hunger went away.

On the reintroduction cycle, I quickly noticed when my body reacts to a food. When I introduced gluten, I got an immediate migraine, my fingers became swollen and I had an asthma attack...it was incredible! When I introduced dairy, I started getting nausea and noticed I was congested and sneezing constantly. I stopped the dairy and three days later the symptoms were gone, plus I lost the three pounds I gained while eating dairy! In addition to following the JJ Virgin Diet, I also use My Fitness Pal to track my food and symptoms.

CAUTION: Beware of the knock-off books and products claiming to be the JJ Virgin Diet. I wasted money on a cookbook published by a woman who was not affiliated with the program and was disappointed in the cookbook.

Final note: I recommend this in a printed book rather than an ebook as you will want to reference specific chapters and resources in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diet and much easier than expected, December 6, 2012
Thank you JJ Virgin for sharing your research and practice with the world. I am on Day 4 of the Challenge and I have already lost four pounds. This is amazing since I am 61 years old, workout with a personal trainer 3 days a week and do more exercise the other days, have eaten gluten free for three years and have been unable to lose on other diets. I am in good shape and only need to lose 5-15 more pounds but I have confidence that I can do this now in a way that I have not in quite some time. On the third day my energy level shot way up and I was able to be more productive than usual. The quality of my sleep is wonderful even better than when I started with CPAP therapy.

A few years ago I did Mark Hyman's Ultra Simple Diet which was hard but got results. I had the same initial exhaustion the first day of this diet but it passed quickly. Now I have so much energy, no cravings, no more muscle and joint pain that were constant before. I am confident that I can lose the rest of the weight in short order and now I realize how important it will be to maintain a viligent watch on what I eat. I know there is another sensitivity besides the gluten and I am looking forward to figuring out what that is. I suspect it is dairy because the only food I really miss is the cheese.

Before the book came out I was receiving videos from JJ Virgin and they stimulated my interest. Normally I would not have attempted to diet during the hoidays but I decided to make an exception and I am so glad that I did. This year I am going to reverse the trend of weight gain during the holidays and lose weight instead. I ordered the book the day it came out and got it overnight. It was an easy read and I got through it completely by the next day. Then I took the Challenge and went grocery shopping at Whole Foods. My house is full of fresh organic foods and I feel freed from worrying about my weight and tracking every calorie and nutrient.

There are many surprises. It is not hard to follow the diet and by eliminating the seven foods it seems that food cravings are a thing of the past. I have eliminated gluten, dairy, sugar/articial sweetners and soy in the past but not the corn and peanuts. It has been easier to do all of these than it was to elminate just one or two. My recommendation is to read this book and if you are inspired to radically and successfully change your diet and your health for the better you will know that this is the right path for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This program WORKS, November 29, 2012
I was lucky enough to hear about THE VIRGIN DIET before the book published and I did the program with a bunch of friends. I was shocked at the results. I didn't have a lot to lose, but 5 pounds melted off of my body in the first week. Best of all, by day 4 of the program, my energy level was sky high and my everpresent anxiety was GONE. I felt like I could handle whatever came my way. I lost 9 pounds in the first 4 weeks and have lost a total of 15 pounds since starting the program. I swear I haven't been this fit since college! And I'm not a diet girl--I really hate feeling hungry or deprived. I was dubious at first because of dropping the 7 foods, but it helped that you could eat plenty of real, filling food on this program. I never felt deprived and now that I've been following THE VIRGIN DIET for a while, I don't get strong cravings anymore and I don't get that afternoon energy slump. I'm stronger and healthier and have more energy to exercise. I couldn't recommend this program highly enough! Don't be daunted by the idea of giving up 7 foods--it's JUST FOR 3 WEEKS! Then you customize the program and make it work for you. And it helps that you lose weight quickly--that will be the motivation you need to stick with it in the beginning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Virgin gives readers a way of losing weight as well as information about good and bad foods, December 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
JJ Virgin advertizes that her diet is: "drop 7 foods and lose 7 pounds in just 7 days," and I found that her diet works. The seven foods are gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, peanuts, and sugar and artificial sweeteners. These foods are avoided because many people's bodies are unable to tolerate these foods. Thus, even if such people eats what most people consider healthy foods, in moderation, and exercises an hour or more a day, food intolerance can stop these people from losing weight. The only solution is to stop eating foods that the body can't tolerate, and these seven are the foods that many people can't tolerate. The diet isn't as simple as the triple number 7 slogan seems to indicate: it is longer than seven days, there are three phases, and people who want to maintain their weight lose need to realize that diet means a lifetime eating plan.

Virgin dedicates her first 146 pages to describe what the seven foods do to the body and why they should be avoided. She states that even after the three cycles, which we will describe below, are finished it is best "at least 95 percent of the time, (to) avoid sugar, fruit juices and high-glycemic juices, corn, soy, and peanuts." She, then, describes the "three cycles to lose weight for good." Briefly stated, during the first 21 days, dieters are should "let go of the (seven) foods that are most likely to cause food intolerance, inflammation and unbalanced blood sugar." In the 28 days of cycle 2, four of the seven foods can be eaten, one during each of the four weeks, but only for four of the seven days, and not eaten again until phase 3. Cycle 2's goal is to see if the dieter has any reaction from the introduced food. The four foods that are reintroduced are soy, gluten, eggs, and dairy. Virgin prefers that we avoid corn, peanuts, and sweeteners forever, as much as possible. In cycle 3, Virgin discusses her diet for life.

The book is jammed-filled with a cornucopia of other information about foods. For instance, she advises that coconut milk is excellent, people should not drink water while they are eating because it interferes with digestion, and eat in moderation (she explains how). In short, Virgin gives readers a diet that takes off pounds and an education about good and bad foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me!, December 26, 2012
Ive tried all kinds of diets to rid myself of an extra 10 pounds. I'm 58 and quite active, but like many women my age, I have struggled with those last few stubborn pounds. I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks and was amazed. No cravings after the first few days and just felt remarkably better overall. I will say that I probably wasn't a strict about eliminating every single item/ingredient advised (for example, I discovered that there was a soy additive in my rice crackers, but ate them, with no ill effects, anyway). However, I made significant overall changes as advised... IE., to drink coconut milk in place of my beloved dairy milk, and I also eliminated all other major foods listed. For breakfast, I found smoked salmon, or sliced ham on gluten free toast, to be most satifying. Also gluten free toast with almond butter, and a banana, or fresh fruit is filling too. The rest of the meals were easy to find substitutions, and one can easily go out to eat and order veggies and lean protiens. I did also drink wine and spirits, and again, suffered no ill effects. Highly recommend this if you have tried everything else!

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, January 29, 2013
I was so bored with the repetitive information and stories. It seemed I was being brain washed. If I read the same thing over and over, then I would believe this informaiton would work. Waste of time and way out there on losing 7 lbs in 7 days. Also getting repeated emails from the author wanting me to buy into her $200.00 plan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent concept, Not so realistic., January 1, 2013
I signed up for a free copy of this book (pay shipping only) during a special through Amazon. I was introduced to JJ Virgin through the peertrainer.com website. I have Lupus and although I've always been somewhat overweight I have a hard time keeping weight off after being on prednisone for the past 9.5 years. There are certain foods that I KNOW make my Lupus symptoms worse, and JJ's theory made perfect sense to me.

Long story short: After the first 4 days I had, indeed, lost 4 lbs. I was pretty much starving at that point, however, because it is difficult to transition to her plan. When you really do the math the list of things she asks you to eliminate are in EVERYTHING we eat on a daily basis. This is the first diet plan I've ever seen that speaks out against moderation. She also says you shouldn't just dabble in the program but jump in with both feet. It's a VERY strict plan and I believe strict plans are hard, if not impossible, to maintain. Making this plan part of your lifestyle would take a MAJOR life overhaul, lots of planning, and time to adjust to new food combinations and recipes. She recommends protein shakes for breakfast which I was not willing to try (it meant purchasing special powders) so I substituted with various combinations of black beans and quinoa.

HOWEVER - I could tell immediately that I felt better. I was sleeping better, my pants got loose, my Lupus pain was noticeably better, (decrease in inflammation!!) I'm a believer in her plan, I just don't know how to make it realistic for every day life. I intentionally started the diet the week before the holidays - we had just come back from vacation and I was feeling bloated and gross. And I knew there would be opportunities to "cheat" over the holidays. Since then I've totally fallen off the wagon (which is why she speaks out against moderation.) And now I feel horrible.

I would recommend at least reading this book as part of whatever diet plan you choose to follow. The theory and the science is right on. Unfortunately the way we eat in our culture is going to make it very difficult to stick to this plan long term. You really have to tune in to how foods make your body feel and be willing to make the changes to feel better. It seems like a no brainer but it really is amazing how difficult it is to choose your health over short term rewards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Adjustments Made, February 28, 2013
After reading this book and attempting to drink just one shake in the morning for the first two days, I realized a shake was not keeping me satisfied for 4-5 hours until lunch. I just don't like to drink my meals. I opted for steel cut oats with walnuts (6 cut up), a cup of organic frozen berries (that I warm in warm water first), cinnamon, and half a serving of pea rice protein powder. However, I don't purchase the author's protein powder. I bought some at the vitamin shoppe. No sugar added except stevia which is on her list of okays.

So I basically am having an easy time with this because I see the holes in the diet that don't work for me and I adjust accordingly. I only shop from her shopping list, but if I am hungry 3 hours after breakfast I just put kale or cut up sweet potato in the oven. I don't need a lot but it helps curb my hunger. I figure if I am hungry enough to eat Kale I am hungry and my body needs it.

I like this diet because it is an all or nothing. I need that to stay true to the diet or the inner voice in my head will say it is okay if you have just one cookie today. I have never followed a diet so strictly without cheating before. So I do like the hard fast rules.

I knew I would never lose 7 lbs in 7 days. I did lose 3.5 lbs. This is my 10th day and I have lost a total of 4.5 lbs. I am only trying to lose 6 more. I really chose this diet because I had gained 10 lbs after my son died last year because I stopped caring and literally have lived on chocolate chip cookies, chocolate and anything sweet. However, when I stopped being able to fit into my jeans I decided it is one thing to be sad everyday, but to be sad and overweight, plus tired from lack of nutrition is no longer an option. So short story long....I like the rules, I feel better because of the healthy food choices, I don't think about my sugar cravings 24/7, and I am losing weight so I can fit back into my clothes.

I just plain changed a few things to my liking when I didn't think it made logical sense.

1.0 out of 5 stars Promo for Expensive Products, February 13, 2013
The book leads to a web site that offers for sale a whole lot of expensive add-ons. If one doesn't purchase from the web site's initial offers, the offer price is cut in half and the product is delivered online only instead of being mailed to the purchaser. J.J. really pushes her shake mixes that cost $2 a meal plus shipping. My copy of the book will be offered elsewhere online or recycled.

The Virgin Diet