Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vision of a Champion
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 28, 2003
Recently, I was sidelined in hospital, and my team bought me the book. I read it cover to cover twice, taking notes the second time.
Anson Dorrance has proven to be the guru for Womens soccer coaching in the United States. Some of the people he has shaped is a "Who's who" of soccer: Tony DiCiccio, Lauren Gregg, Kristine Lilly, Lorrie Fair, Cindy Parlow.... and some girl named Mia.
The book is written for players, but it is a MUST for any coach of girls, soccer or otherwise. In addition to talking about strengths and weaknesses in the current Womens game, he talks about the psychology of the team and player. He gives a no - holds barred insight into Tar Heel soccer, down to preseason drills, peaking cycles, intensity training and offseason training. It is all written in plain english that anyone can understand.
The entire UNC program is in here for all to examine. His thoughts on everything from his approach to injuries and resting players to recruiting players and demands for (scarce) scholarship money. He gives a good insight on the subject of soccer and scholarships that I wasn't aware of.
I highly recommend this book. It would be a bargain at twice the price. If you plan on playing Division I soccer, this book gives a good expectation of what the #1 program in the country looks for.
on March 17, 2014
The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking."

This is a great quote that was cooked up by the dynamic duo of Anson Dorrance and Mia Hamm. Dorrance's understanding of the female soccer psyche is unparalleled by any other male coach, in my opinion (see also:Training Soccer Champions) and this book is extremely valuable for players and parents.

It describes the philosophy of how to become a champion in soccer and in life by challenging oneself physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally.
on July 12, 2014
Anson Dorrance is THE COACH when it comes to soccer. Too bad he wasn't handling the men's world cup and we would have been playing Argentina. This book lays the ground work for what it takes to become successful. It isn't always the best talent - but it is always someone who starts by having the passion to do the best they can. The rest - along with hard work - will follow. Success has no secret formula... Natural ability, hard work, the ability to focus and a coach that can direct that talent, hard work and focus in a winning way. He hasn't become the winning-est coach in the history of soccer by pulling punches.
on June 25, 2003
Don't know anything about Anson Dorrance personally, but I love his books. There is so much great information. He really conveys his philosophy of how to become a great soccer player, and how a player should conduct themselves in high school and college. I enjoyed this book from a coach/parent standpoint, but I really think high-school age players could benefit from this as well.
on June 19, 2013
My 12-yr-old daughter loves UNC Women's soccer and Anson Dorrance. She read this book and has since copied and posted the training schedules that were in the appendix of the book. I liked the book because it had such a positive influence on her. I'm able to remind her some of the example stories that were used in the book to help her.
on April 2, 2009
This is a wonderful book about soccer and training, and the mental toughness girls possess that will help them all through life. This book will also help any parent who struggles with the proper involvement level with a soccer-daughter, and the reinforcement needed to help make the correct choices as she evolves with the game of soccer.

This book also gives extraordinary attention to the evolution of leadership roles for females, and the developement of these leadership skills in all young women.

There were hundreds of times i wanted to read passsages or paragraphs to each of my soccer-daughters after i was brought to near tears by the passages of empowerment and success for female athletes.
on November 11, 2005
This book is amazing. It is absolutly irresistable. A must read for all. Perfect insight.
on September 29, 2002
I am a professional youth soccer coach, with my own company. I also played semi-professional soccer in my native England. I read this book--twice--and was so impressed, I bought 50 copies for my players. I have loved the flair of this game all of my life. My emphasis as a coach is bringing that love of the game, with all of its skill, to American youth soccer. This book communicates the essence of the game, and more, it's a great guide for soccer and life!
on October 11, 2002
After reading this book, it's no wonder that many of the women trained by Anson Dorrance are wonderful role models as well as amazing soccer artists. The game of soccer is not just about good technique, but also how the female soccer player develops into a responsible person, challenging herself physically, mentally, socially and emotionally. Dorrance and Averbuch have combined here to write the definitive work on growing a soccer player. This book is for the players, their parents and their coaches. If there is anyone who believes that coaching girls is no different than boys-this will prove otherwise. Bravo to the authors!
on June 18, 2013
This book should be required reading for any top level soccer program.....his insight and observations into everyday workouts and player performance are top shelf. I read it in 3 days time and am currently reading it again....It has become my #1 reference on women (girls) soccer. I am currently a CA State "D" licensed coach. I have coached High School Girls Varsity Soccer and been club trainer for EL Camino Real S.C and their girls soccer program. I have been pounding the team Chemistry and Dynamic foundation for years.....thanks for being a supporter and innovator to the cause......