4.0 out of 5 stars Needed to read it twice, but I've lost weight!
Published on November 1, 2012 by Amy

1.0 out of 5 stars review
The titles always make it seem like it is going to be easy. I'm working on my 3rd week and have only lost 1 lb.
Published 23 months ago by Lorraine R. Germain

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed to read it twice, but I've lost weight!, November 1, 2012
This book was hard to get through the first time - and I am a skeptic who buys-in only if the scientific information is sound. After the first read through, I started taking Vitamin D with few expectations after a weight loss plateau. After a week of taking a 1000 IU supplements I found I'd broken through the plateau and had lost 3 more pounds. Not sure if it was due to the "D" or not but I don't see a downfall of getting more D. The information on additional supplements (Calcium, CLA, MUFA's, protein, Omega 3's) was helpful - I'd heard them touted for weight/mood management but didn't understand how/why...now I do!

Having read Project Happily Ever After (also by Alisa) I recognize her writing style and I really would prefer to have more information than less (to the reader who said it was repetative). I do recommend this book to understand why D is important for health, but as with any miracle diet promise, don't expect to change your life with a simple pill...exercise and eating right is the key.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Vitamin D Can Help You Lose Weight the Sensible Way, October 1, 2012
Alexandra Grabbe (Wellfleet, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Did you know that there are vitamin D receptors on our fat cells? This unexpected fact immediately drew my attention when I started reading this new diet book. Usually I gain weight in winter, but our steamy hot summer was treacherous here on Cape Cod, making me put on more pounds than usual. If you're like me, you'll want to get yourself a copy of The 7-Day Slim Down: Drop Twice the Weight in Half the Time with the Vitamin D Diet. Health-writer Alisa Bowman is not into extreme dieting and even suggests it's okay to snack between meals. The catch is what you eat. Look for "foods that will shift your body out of fat-storage mode into fat-melting mode." The author explains the diet in detail, providing lists of vitamin D-rich foods and numerous recipes. She actually "test-drove" the diet before writing about it. I did not know that 77% of all Americans are vitamin-D deficient, nor that you can get a simple blood test to see whether you may be suffering from vitamin-D deficiency. I had heard wild salmon was a better choice than farmed but never would have guessed it provides approximately four times the IU vitamin-D dose. Alisa Bowman's engaging writing style and general knowledge kept me interested. "When your skin makes its own vitamin D, the vitamin lasts twice as long in your blood as when you eat the vitamin or get it through a supplement," she explains. I did not know that. Find out what "sensible sun exposure" is. Discover why tuna fish tacos are better for you than a meal replacement shake. Learn super helpful motivating strategies. You can do this diet in a week, or a month. No sweat. Just sensible weight loss. Right on!

1.0 out of 5 stars review, January 13, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Soeey but it is nonsence, August 4, 2013
This does not work. I have tested it for more than 7 days. It may be healthy but is not a slimming solution

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems very manageable and not a difficult plan to follow ..., July 21, 2014
Seems very manageable and not a difficult plan to follow. Seems much more realistic than some other diets I have followed.

1.0 out of 5 stars SKIP THIS ONE, TOTALLY. I WOULD GIVE IT LESS THAN ONE STAR IF I COULD., September 21, 2012
I BOUGHT THIS BOOK BECAUSE OF THE WRITE-UP IN ONE OF THOSE WEEKLY MAGAZINES AT THE COUNTER IN THE SUPERMARKETS. NEW DIET EVERY WEEK. HOWEVER, SOME OF THE AUTHORS AND BOOKS ARE GOOD,AND HELPFUL. THIS ONE IS DEFINITELY NOT. IT IS TOUTED AS THE VITAMIN "D" DIET THAT HELPS YOU DROP TONS OF WEIGHT SAFELY, AND INCREDIBLY FAST.

ONCE YOU READ THE BOOK, YOU FIND IT IS A TOTAL DISCLAIMER. WHAT A RIP-OFF. YOU HAVE TO HAVE LOST A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF WEIGHT BEFORE THE VITAMIN D MAYBE KICKS IN AT ALL. THE DIET IS TERRIBLY REPETITIOUS, AND BORING. THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT I WOULD NOT EAT, AND I DO NOT LIKE THEIR LIMITED CHOICES. SAVE YOUR MONEY. GOOD BOOKS ARE COOK YOURSELF THIN, AND THE DECADENT DIET BOOK.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exercise is best, August 17, 2013
Nothing like a wish for weight loss but eat right and exercise that's the best one can do for themselves. No magic remedies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kim, September 21, 2012
This a perfect set for life plan!! I love the foods. The recipes The Skinny Chef, Jennifer Iserloh, has in this book are so good! I will recommend this book to anyone trying to lose weight! The 7 day slim down makes it easy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Came quickly! Product as described., July 11, 2014
A. Hawkins (Boca Raton, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
Came quickly! Product as described.

2.0 out of 5 stars it was informative, August 9, 2013
it was ok reading, took time to get to points of interest, basic information on things already knew, good source

The Vitamin D Diet
The Vitamin D Diet by Alisa Bowman (Hardcover - 2012)
Used & New from: $0.01