5.0 out of 5 stars Good advice from a woman who has done/seen it all.
Published on September 19, 2009 by Peppermint Honey

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it....
Published on November 12, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Good advice from a woman who has done/seen it all., September 19, 2009
After reading the reviews I found that most of the negative ones never really gave this book a chance anyway. Because of the cover? Oh, because of Ms. Steffans' reputation? It is because of her reputation that I picked up the Vixen Manual. Who better to give advice than someone who has already made all the mistakes and then some? Judgmental people that refuse to let this woman redeem herself and claim a better life are disgusting, and their attitudes shine more negative light on themselves than on Karrine.

On to the book. I was as skeptical as many, but was pleasantly surprised. Don't pay attention to the haters who say that this book is full of common sense that women already know. Women who are not lying to themselves know that all sense ain't common, especially if you have old-fashioned, tight-lipped mothers and grandmothers. Had I this kind of advice at the onset of my dating life I could have avoided so much heartache and many embarrassing situations. Especially important in this book is Karrine's advice on the art of being single. How many women do you know who just jump from man to man thinking that is the way to complete themselves? If using your alone time wisely is common sense, none of the women we know would do this. The fact that there is power in letting your man be a man should also be common sense, though it is not. Too many women think the opposite of being a hyper-independent nagging ball-buster is to be a doormat. So not true. There is balance. That is also in this book.

Subjugating women, and turning us all into video vixens, is not the goal of this book. As a few other reviewers have pointed out, neither is this a how-to on giving good oral. This book is unique in that it covers a woman's love life from every angle: single, dating, and married. If you are interested in accepting and harnessing the power of your femininity, being complete in yourself, and how to find & keep the best male compliment for your life, this is the book for you. Use it to affirm and complement the advice in Steve Harvey's "Act Like a Lady...".

The Vixen Manual is highly readable, and content is presented in an intelligent and thoughtful way. Despite what you think you know about her, Karrine has surprisingly traditional values. Don't let your personal feelings about her past keep you from actually learning something.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it...., November 12, 2009
I liked this book. Giving her experience in some of the subjects she talked about she made a lot of since. However, some topics she talk about will get you're a** kicked if you try those types of games on your man. For instance, she talks about your man coming in late from doing whatever all night and she tells you to not say anything about it, just stay out the next night. See, those types of games aren't healthy in a committed relationship. She also says not to bring your man around your Kid(s) unless you have a ring on your finger. I also dont agree w/ that ether. I firmly believe not only should you be in love w/ your man before your marry him, your kid(s) should love him as well. To just bring a strange man around your kid(s) and say "hers your new stepdad" will only make your kid(s) want to pull away...There are many other points I can talk about in her book that I didn't agree with but I guess for some woman it may work for them.... All I can say is take some of what she says and make your own determination about it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Male Stamp of Approval, November 27, 2009
Shayne Lee (Houston (by way of New Orleans)) - See all my reviews
I'm a sociologist doing research on Karrine Steffans for my third book, which devotes an entire chapter to her and so I had to buy the book for research purposes. I found the book right on point in almost all areas. As a man I found myself nodding frequently saying, "yep, that will work!" I believe Karrine has mastered the art of seduction; so all women should buy the book. As a sociologist, I believe her memoir, follow-up sexual manual, and concomitant career as a feminist agitator do much to deconstruct gendered double standards about sex, valorize female sexual agency, arouse new visions of sexual artistry, and guide countless women on a more proactive path toward self-transcendence. My forthcoming book will cite many passages from this book as well as her memoir to present her as a feminist who is carving out new and safe spaces for black women to be powerful sexual agents.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed :(, August 18, 2010
N. Brewer (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce & Keep the Man You Want (Paperback)
I received this book yesterday and started to read a few chapters that caught my eye before going to bed. All I have to say is if this is what it takes to make millions off book sales, I need to write a book! Ms. Steffans isn't giving me any new advice I don't already use; nor is there anything special in the few chapters I've read that I feel will help a woman snag and/or keep a man. Unless you're a nun (no offense to those who may be), I just didn't get any pointers from this book and am highly disappointed. Maybe she's really keeping her secrets to herself as a way of keeping her infamous name "branded"??? Who knows . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly 5-Stars, November 30, 2013
** spoiler alert ** Well, I never dreamed I would be giving this book a 5 star rating, but it deserves every bit of that and more. Keep reading, and I think you will understand why.

I won this book on a giveaway, and when it came, I was rather turned off by the picture. It didn't look like my kind of book. I set it on the shelf and wasn't even sure if I would ever read it.

I needed a book to read since I finished my last book so quickly. So I picked this book up, thinking, "Well, I sure won't like this book. I'll be able to file it away in no time."

Imagine my shock when I actually began to like it. It was easy reading, but it had real substance. I still wasn't sure I'd hold onto it when I was done. I figurerd I might give it away.

Suddenly, I was truly drawn to it. I could barely put it down. I found myself so engaged in reading it that I dared to read it during my sub jobs this past week. I made sure to conceal the cover picture and a few of the drawings, but this was practical, good advice for women. Thankfully the chapters were short enough that I could stop very easilyif I needed to.

Now, I will put a warning--this book has some adult language. It also describes some sex scenes that would not be appropriate for everyone. If you are easily offended, I would not recommend reading this book. But I will say that she only devoted one chapter to sex. I expected more, and it is clear that she knows her readers did as well.

It is amazing how God used this book in my life. Yes, He used a secular book to speak to me. I have read the Christian relationship books. I have read Dr. Phil. I even read some other intriguing, racy secular books in an effort to rescue and improve my relationship. I thought I understood men and women pretty well.

But the author truly had a different premise entirely than the other books I have read. Her main idea is for us woman to become the strong women we need to be who are complete in ourselves. We don't need a man to rescue us. We don't need a man to complete us. We are single and loving it. And when the right man comes along, we will have high expectations and know how we should be treated. And we will not lower our standards and allow ourselves to be abused and taken advantage of.

What an amazing way to think indeed. And this author spoke more about God than some Christian books I read. I love it when she said, "How can you call yourself ugly if you believe in God? If you believe He created you, how can call yourself ugly?" And it wasn't her first reference to God in the book.

This author, in spite of her colorful past, even recommends the idea of monogamy. She says she realizes not everyone will be willing to be in that kind of relationship, but she says it is truly the ideal. Even her concept of what marriage should be like is so much more different than what I have ever read.

Now this is not a book for the faint of heart or for a prude. It is also not for a teenager to read. It would be good for a teenage girl's mother to read it and teach her daughter the principles. I would probably say that this book is for early 20's and up. You do have to read it with an open mind. I don't agree with everything the author says, and indeed she realizes that.

So in conclusion, if you are up for a book that challenges your beliefs about women, men, and dating, this book will do that. If you are able to look past the language and some of the moralistic attitudes espoused in the book, this is a great read. And most of all, if you are willing to read a book that will potentially change your life, this book just might do it. I even understand more completely why I married the man I did after reading this book. Karrine Steffans is a great writer, and this book was certainly worth my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall rather good, August 19, 2009
Beth (United States) - See all my reviews
After seeing the author's photo on the front cover of the book I really wanted to hate the book I immediately thought "Oh great, what does this gold-digging [...] have to tell me?" Well, after the first chapter I was intrigued. This was my first experience with the author and I was pleasantly surprised. She was quite frank and discussed potentially touchy subjects in a respectful way.

The chapters were short and just perfect for reading while waiting for an appointment or while dinner cooks, etc. Each chapter took under 10 minutes to read, which was wonderful.

This one gets four stars for the sheer readability and quality of information presented. While I did not agree with some of the author's recommendations, almost everyone who reads the book will take away at least a couple ideas she can implement in her own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the light of heart; For the MODERN, INDEPENDENT woman., December 31, 2011
Shianne (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
I have not ever read any of Mrs. Steffans books before but knew who she was by her reputation. I randomly skimmed this book while bored at Barnes & Noble one day and bought it right there.
There is no denying that this book is a course in TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF (from manicures, to hygiene, to emotions & sex) in all areas. She speaks very little of her past and is honest that she's not the perfect role model but just interested in sharing advice she's learned over her life's journey.
There wasnt anything I thought contrived.
From how to have lasting friendships, to exercising, to intercourse- she kept it so real I felt like I was getting advice from my big sister.
This book is a MUST for women who want a REAL, GENUINE "self help" type. Plus it's hilarious and very arrousing!
I always read this when I need a boost, a pat on the back, or a new approach to things.

1.0 out of 5 stars wasted my 14 dollars, March 28, 2010
people told me not to waste my money on this, I hate that i didnt listen.

The book was so basic. It didnt tell me anything I didnt already know or practice. I think if I was a needy, insecure person then this book would have been perfect. But being that im neiter and in a stable healthy relationship, this book was not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars KARRINE IS DELUSIONAL AND NEEDS HELP!!!, July 29, 2009
I am one to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I just cannot get on board with this! This woman is by far one of the saddest people ever! She couldn't even get through (2) interviews to promote her book. On the CW Network they shut the interview down because she was being so ignorant. Then she was on a radio show and because the host introduced her for what she's known for, sexing a whole industry of men, she became upset and disrespectful and ultimately left that interview before discussing this book. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, someone sends me a video of her on FoxNews.com. The host of the show admitted that friends of his were livid that he was having someone like her on his show. And this cum-bucket had the audacity to say that other women are not as beautiful, smart or financially secure as she is -- that's the reason for the hate. Bitch please! And if she says one more time, "I'm a New York Times Best-Selling Author", I'm going to scream!!! She needs to realize that it was the book that she hates to discuss that put her on NY Times Best Selling list. And the ONLY reason she ended up there was because people were interested in what she wrote about their favorite artists...NOT HER! If it were just her auto-biography, minus the celebrity mentions, it would still be somewhere on a shelf collecting dust!

No one knows who she is. And the fact that she has to announce that she is a best-selling author every five minutes is proof that no one cares! Is she really so stupid that she believes that every other woman in the world is unattractive, penniless, and lonely? There are TONS of women who have Ph.D's, who are Attorneys, Doctors, Entertainment PR Consultants, Engineers, you name it! These women are beautiful, with gorgeous homes, great husbands and families. I should know, I'm one of them! The only reason you don't hear other successful women talking about their financial situation (which is tacky, by the way) is because we are accustomed to a stable way of life. We're accustomed to having nice things. And we don't have to announce our accomplishments everytime we're in a room, because people KNOW WHO WE ARE and our accomplishments speaks for itself. Karrine Steffans is pathetic!
And it really scares me that any woman...of any age...would be taking advice from someone as confused and lost as this woman. LADIES, DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR; INVEST YOUR MONEY IN SOMETHING THAT'S TRULY WORTH IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, August 20, 2010
I am just about done reading this book. I would recommend every woman buy this book. I think every woman would learn something from this book no matter how much you think you know. I am enjoying all the information given to me and I encourage all women to read it.

The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce & Keep the Man You Want
The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce & Keep the Man You Want by Karrine Steffans (Paperback - August 26, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.98