5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly inspirational true story
Married for just a few short months, Kim and Krickitt Carpenter were involved in a devastating life-altering automobile accident. As the physical wounds healed, it became clear that Krickitt had lost 18 months of memory. She didn't remember meeting, dating or marrying her husband, Kim. This is their true story of how their love persevered.

Quote: "Krickitt,...
Published on February 12, 2012 by Lavish Bookshelf

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it til the end.
Being a Christian I really appreciated the spirituality of the book. However, I felt the ending was just TOO full of the worldly aspects of fame, money, travel and "the good life." That could have been shortened by alot. Too much time was spent on all the publications (repeated over and over) and the TV appearances. But overall, it was a good book and I am most...
Published on February 29, 2012 by Ainsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly inspirational true story, February 12, 2012

Quote: "Krickitt, who's your husband?" Krickitt looked at me again and back at the therapist. I was sure everyone could hear my heart thudding as I waited for my wife's answer in silence and desperation. "I'm not married." (The Vow, Page 2 and 83)

Every once in a while you read a story that is so astonishing that it just doesn't seem real. The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story is one of those stories with an amazing tale of a horrific accident, intense hospitalizations and medical bills and a wife with amnesia that leaves her with no recollection of ever even meeting her husband.

The book chronicles Kim and Krickitt's life together. Beginning with their first initial meeting and their first wedding, the vast majority of this book covers their struggles after the accident, which occurred when they had been married only two months. Once it is clear that Krickitt's memory is forever altered, the Carpenter's struggle to date again, love again and eventually marry again.

The Carpenters are devout Christians and believe that God uses them infinitely through their incredible story. Throughout the book, the entire Carpenter family leans on God through good times and bad, with heartbreaking honesty. Their story is one of doubting God's plan, but having faith that God does indeed have a plan.

I found that the unsaid question at the core of this book is "What would you do?". Would you have survived the accident? Would you trust God? Would you have stayed true to your vows? Would you fall in love with your spouse all over again? Read this book to see how Kim and Krickitt Carpenter responded with grace, dignity and perseverance.

Please note: I have not seen the movie yet so I can't make any comparisons. From a quick check on the internet I can see that names, locations and a few important facts have been changed from the book. According to the book (page 164-165), the Carpenters signed a movie deal in 1996 and learned fourteen years later than the movie would be produced. The Carpenters were able to visit the movie set during filming. To quote Kim Carpenter from the book, "Though many changes were made, as is typically the case when true events are adapted for the silver screen, the basic framework was still in place and Krickitt and I felt it to be an excellent portrayal of the message of our story."

Source: I received this book complimentary from Lowell/Fairchild Communications in exchange for an honest review but the opinion is all mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars True Commitment, February 19, 2012
This review is from: The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie (Kindle Edition)
This review is in reply to the review "Christianty shoved down our throats". I've seen previews for the movie and want to see it. I did not realize until reading these reviews that it was based on Kim and Cricket Carpenter. I read this book a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it and was challenged at their commitment to remain true to their vows. I will say the book did seem to drag on a little longer than needed. This is a true story. Christianity is a major part of who these people are. It was not shoved down your throat, just don't read it if you don't like it. I'm not sure if the person who wrote that review would like this couple to change the true story of their life so as not to offend her. Also it is worth noting this book was written long before the movie so I am pretty sure they were not trying to make money of the hype of the movie. And as far as how they met... again a true story, people meet online and no one thinks a thing of it. I think Elena missed the part of this being a true story. You may not like it,but that does not change the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and inspirational vow of love, September 19, 2000
Judith E. Pavluvcik (Dreaming of the beach in Hawaii, but living in the reality of the desert in Arizona!!) - See all my reviews
The Vow is one of the most amazing TRUE love stories that I have ever read. In our disposable society today, it is so refreshing to read about true love, faith, and commitment.
Kim Carpenter's wife, Krickitt, was not expected to survive massive head injuries sustained from a head on collision with a truck. Miraculously and against all odds, she did survive. Her faith in God, along with the unrelenting adoration and help of her husband and family (and of course all of the doctors!) helped pull Krickitt back into a functioning world. Unfortunately, Krickitt lost all memory of her brief marriage, engagement and courtship with her husband. Kim held on steadfast to his marriage vows and never, never gave up, despite the unsurmounting odds of their marriage ever surviving such tragedies.
It is so humbling to read of their devout faith in God, which pulled them both through some incredible life challenges, if not providing miracles in their lives, time and time again. Kim's heartfelt love for Krickitt comes through strongly and I do so admire his integrity, his devotion and the love he has for his wife. This story is a huge testament to the power and bond of love and marriage. I do believe that many men in his position would have walked out and not stood by Krickitt's side.
The Carpenters renewed their wedding vows for a second time, as Kim had to woo Krickitt all over again, as she had no memory of her husband at all. Their lives will no longer be what it was before the accident and Krickett is not the same person she was before, as is Kim. Both have grown and both have a deeper commitment and love for one another.
Living a nightmare in every conceivable way, the Carpenter's faith in God gave them the strength and will to persevere. God often gives us challenges in life and we do not understand why, and only later do the "lessons" or the meaning of all become clear to us. The messages imparted in this heart-felt story will hopefully ignite the love shared in all marriages and to help to heal those marriages in trouble and cement even further those solid marriages.
This story will have you crying and cheering as well as have you questioning what is "really" important in our lives and how faith in God can pull us through even the darkest nightmares. Love and undying faith is what it is all about!
Kim Carpenter you are one heck of a guy - the world needs more guys like you! Thank you both for a wonderful book - I recommend everyone read this book, especially couples that are engaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 17, 2012
I have to say this is one of the most touching books I have read about true events in along time. THe love that is shown for between both krickitt and Kim and with god is just so touching and heart breaking at the same time. It is good to see such faith and devotion between two people and god. I'm glad they chose to share their love story with the world to give us hope that any couple can do it they just need faith in each other and god and that giving up is not possible! I thank these two for sharing their story (it must be extremely hard at times) and letting us see what true love is all about!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Vow, March 3, 2012
The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie
To the critics of this book: I am not on the same page theologically with Kim and Krickitt. However, you don't need to be just like them to see the strength and power of their story. Many men would give up in a situation like the one these two found themselves in. Kim did not, and staying was not easy. I have to reveal a bias: Kim was my boss at one time and he was truly one of the best supervisors I've ever had. The worth of their story is the truth about how marriage is not always easy, is not always romantic and is many times very tough. But you make a vow, and you stay and you work it out. All the rest is gravy. Kim and Krickitt's trials made them the wonderful people they are today. And Kim often asks in reference to their story: what would you do if this happened to you? Whatever your religious faith, how would you answer that question? Your faith should help you find the answer, and it did for Kim and Krickitt.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASTOUNDING STORY!, June 23, 2000
Imagine being young and in love, newly married with an exciting life before you when suddenly in a matter of seconds your future is shattered before your eyes. This book poignantly describes how Kim Carpenter feels as he emerges from a car accident slightly injured and discovers that his bride is near death. His life and happiness flashes before his eyes. The prognosis for Krickett Carpenter's survival is less than 1%, but miraculously she survives. When Krickett eventually awakens from her coma, her adoring husband, Kim, and her family is waiting anxiously by her side. The nurse begins asking the young woman questions . . .what is your name . . what's your husband's name? "I don't have a husband," she replied. Everyone thinks the young woman known for her wit is joking but then it becomes apparent that Krickett has no memory of her life the past couple of years including her husband and her marriage. This wonderful story beautifully told by the Carpenters with writer, John Perry, describes Krickett's journey back to her former life, part of which she has no memory. Not only does she not remember her husband, but she dislikes him intensely and doesn't want him near her. Through her brain injuries Krickett, a fun-loving laid back young woman now exhibits an intense anxious personality with a short fuse. Not only is Kim Carpenter dealing with a wife that doesn't remember him, but she is a different woman. Most men would have walked away at her insistence, but Kim Carpenter was a man of great faith and integrity. He had taken a vow so he was determined to win back his wife who is now a perfect stranger with a different personality. Read this unbelievable saga of a couple who took their marriage vows seriously and find the love; not the same love that they once knew but a deeper one that enables them not only to survive Krickett's accident, but their marriage. Fortuantely, Krickett is also willing to try it make the marriage work figuring she must have loved this stranger at one time and they seek counseling. A wise counselor recommends that Kim woo his wife back and they begin courting and get to know one another all over again. Ultimately after his second romantic proposal they are married again. This is an extraordinary couple from whom we all learn the true meaning of love, faith in God and commitment to the marriage vow. In this era when marriages are so easily broken, reading this story can strengthen one's own belief in the sanctity of the vow we take on our wedding day. I believe this book will inspire the marriages of all those who read this miraculous story about this remarkable couple. With God's ever present help, this couple lived through "sickness and health, for better for worse and as long as we both shall live!" You must read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest love story ever., June 30, 2000
By A Customer
This book is one of the best ever written. It is so well put together and easy to read. You won't be able to put it down once you start it. It is awesome and is headed to the best seller list. What a wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a truely remarkable story!, February 13, 2012
I saw the movie over the weekend with my husband. I absolutely loved it. It brought tears to my eyes. I pre-ordered the book because I knew after seeing the movie, it was definitely something I would want to read more about. The book and the movie are EXTREMELY DIFFERENT. The wife losing her memory, is about the only thing the two share. The book is only 9 chapters and 183 pages. I really enjoyed both of them though. True love really does exist and nothing can come between it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, February 18, 2012
E. Morrison (Chula Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
First of all, don't expect this story to be just like the movie. This is the real story not the Hollywood version. The book is narrated by Kim Carpenter and mostly from his point of view about the events that took place. I think he did a great job telling their story. You find out right away that their faith in God is the center of their entire relationship. From beginning to end they made sure God was the center of their lives. Kim doesn't portray himself as a saint and openly admits his mistakes and faults during this time. We do get to hear Krickett's point of view at times through her journal entries that she allowed to be published in the book. The book is a very easy read, I read the entire book in a day and a half. Anyone who says they have fallen out of love or can't make their marriage work NEEDS to read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a romance novel just a true story, May 13, 2012
I first saw the movie the Vow and really liked it, and I had heard good things about the book, so I wanted to read it. But then I was a little hesitant after seeing some negative reviews for the book, but I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and purchase the book. What I realized is that people giving this book negative reviews were going into it originally with the wrong expectations. I think lots of people think The Vow the movie and the book are like The Notebook the movie and book where they are pretty much the same story just one written and one visual. But that is not the case with the Vow. The book is just the actual events that the movie was based on for people who are interested in knowing what actually happened. The book is not meant to be romance novel/ love story, and that is where people are being mistaken. I also do not like how people are labeling this as a christian book, or getting upset that there is such a christian focus. The authors just wanted to tell the true story, and since they are christians and their faith is a HUGE part of their story, of course they are going to talk about it. They are just sharing who they are.
I think the book was good and inspiring. I think the overall message that they wanted to portray is very clear, and a message that a lot of people in today's society need to hear since marriage is not taken seriously enough anymore. I do wish the book would have focused more on Krikitt's point of view and told more of how they built their relationship back up. I thought that was looked over. There was definitely too much about what actually happened in the hospital just because I think a lot more time should have been spent on the details of their improving relationship. So yes this book is lacking in ways, but the overall message is clear.
My disclaimer for this book is go into like you are reading an article in the newspaper because that is pretty much the way it is written, to be informative. Also dont be scared to watch the movie, it is really good, completely different but it is a romance/love story. So if you only want a love story, watch the movie. If you want an inspiring message, read the book. It is as simple as that. I just want people to stop judging this book because it does not have romance because that is not what is supposed to be about.

Rate and Discover Movies