5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly inspirational true story
Married for just a few short months, Kim and Krickitt Carpenter were involved in a devastating life-altering automobile accident. As the physical wounds healed, it became clear that Krickitt had lost 18 months of memory. She didn't remember meeting, dating or marrying her husband, Kim. This is their true story of how their love persevered.

Quote: "Krickitt,...
Published on February 12, 2012 by Lavish Bookshelf

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it til the end.
Being a Christian I really appreciated the spirituality of the book. However, I felt the ending was just TOO full of the worldly aspects of fame, money, travel and "the good life." That could have been shortened by alot. Too much time was spent on all the publications (repeated over and over) and the TV appearances. But overall, it was a good book and I am most...
Published on February 29, 2012 by Ainsley

‹ Previous | 1 2 377 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a romance novel just a true story, May 13, 2012
I first saw the movie the Vow and really liked it, and I had heard good things about the book, so I wanted to read it. But then I was a little hesitant after seeing some negative reviews for the book, but I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and purchase the book. What I realized is that people giving this book negative reviews were going into it originally with the wrong expectations. I think lots of people think The Vow the movie and the book are like The Notebook the movie and book where they are pretty much the same story just one written and one visual. But that is not the case with the Vow. The book is just the actual events that the movie was based on for people who are interested in knowing what actually happened. The book is not meant to be romance novel/ love story, and that is where people are being mistaken. I also do not like how people are labeling this as a christian book, or getting upset that there is such a christian focus. The authors just wanted to tell the true story, and since they are christians and their faith is a HUGE part of their story, of course they are going to talk about it. They are just sharing who they are.
I think the book was good and inspiring. I think the overall message that they wanted to portray is very clear, and a message that a lot of people in today's society need to hear since marriage is not taken seriously enough anymore. I do wish the book would have focused more on Krikitt's point of view and told more of how they built their relationship back up. I thought that was looked over. There was definitely too much about what actually happened in the hospital just because I think a lot more time should have been spent on the details of their improving relationship. So yes this book is lacking in ways, but the overall message is clear.
My disclaimer for this book is go into like you are reading an article in the newspaper because that is pretty much the way it is written, to be informative. Also dont be scared to watch the movie, it is really good, completely different but it is a romance/love story. So if you only want a love story, watch the movie. If you want an inspiring message, read the book. It is as simple as that. I just want people to stop judging this book because it does not have romance because that is not what is supposed to be about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring love story, February 18, 2012
Wonderful story of a couple's faith in God after an accident that left the wife unable to remember her husband. I loved it from start to finish. A must read for all married couples in a day and age where divorce is all too common.

5.0 out of 5 stars True love, February 16, 2012
If you liked The Vow movie, READ the book. Although touching as a Hollywood movie, the book, The Vow: The TRUE story from Kim and Krickitt is an amazing testament to true love. The car accident was horrific in real life and
The recovery way more intense. Their Faith is still what propells them forward.
If only all couples were as committed to their marriage as this true life couple!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Vow, April 16, 2012
This book was not as good as I thought it would be. Although it was authored by both Krickett and Kim, it was too much about him. I was expecting more about how Krickett dealt with her rehab and loss of memory and the falling in love again. It seemed to be all about him. Was a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story, September 15, 2011
This review is from: The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story (Hardcover)
When I saw this movie trailer, I knew that it had to be based on a book. I found the Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story and read it within a couple of days. It is an inspiring story of true love and unwavering faith. I recommend it for anyone. It is a very uplifting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome story!! better than the movie, February 17, 2012
This is real life it is not just romance, but it is real. This is an incredible story which gives hope and strength to life itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 2, 2013
Right there are the top of the New York Times list of nonfiction bestsellers is The Vow by Kim and Krickitt Carpenter. This book was published by B&H Books (a Christian publisher) twelve years ago, so what is it doing at the top of this week's list? Well, 4 years before that the authors signed a deal for the movie rights to this story and after all these years that movie has finally hit the big screen. A new edition of the book has been published to coincide with the film and it has raced right to the top of the list.

I have not seen the movie and neither do I intend to, so this is a review of only the book. From what I hear, the film is only very loosely based on the broad outline of the story; not only is it a poor movie according to the reviews, but it also ignores the Christian moorings that are so important to the real-life characters.

So what is The Vow all about? Kim and Krickitt Carpenter had been married for just 10 weeks when they were in a serious accident in which Krickitt suffered traumatic head injuries. When she woke from her coma she had no recollection of her husband and no recollection of ever having been married to him. Not only that, but her personality was very different; once a sweet and kind person, she was now often angry and frustrated and cruel. But in his marriage vows Kim had promised to remain with her, and that is exactly what he did, suffering deeply as he cared for the wife who no longer knew him and who no longer wanted him. The Vow tells their tale, from dating to marriage to the accident and back to dating as they try to fall in love a second time. It is a stirring story in many ways--an inspirational one that deserves to be told.

Central to The Vow is the Carpenter's Christian faith. There is never any doubt that this is a distinctly Christian book, meant to make the reader understand that the vows that held this couple together were made before God and that even in the darkest days these two remained accountable to God. They give all credit and glory to God as the one who held them together despite their unique and trying circumstances.

Yet despite all of that, I found myself wishing that this book was just a little bit more. I wanted it to dive deeper into the realities of marriage, to do more to anchor the story in gospel truths--not just "Jesus" but "Jesus Christ crucified and risen from the dead," not just marriage as an institution, but marriage as a display of the gospel. The broad outline of the story is so good, but the execution feels dry and inadequate. Marriage is certainly not less than "the vow," but it is so much more!

The filmmakers changed the story to remove the Christian elements, to add more sex and passion. I found myself wanting to rewrite or at least embellish the story, to have the characters make deeper proclamations of faith, to have them talk about the unique way in which their marriage has been able to model the real marriage of Jesus Christ and his church. It could have been more, it could have taught more truth, it could have been so much deeper and so much more inspiring with even just one or two references to the powerful words of Ephesians 5. Instead of "We love God so we have to love one another" it could have been "Jesus Christ died for my sins, rose from the dead, and now reigns supreme in this world. He gave me a unique opportunity to model his relationship with his church in my marriage, and here, by his grace, is how I did that." It's not that I in any way doubt the faith of the characters; I just wish it had been more explicit and that the implications of this faith had been displayed more clearly.

I suppose this is one of those books that I enjoyed but only with some measure of lament. It could have been so much more. The Vow is worth the time and the cost, but its power and value could easily have been so much greater.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational but fell a little short, May 25, 2012
I liked this book and found the faith that Kim and Krickett had very inspiring but I wish the book had been written from both points of view except just Kims. I also wish that they talked more about falling back in love instead of the media appearances and interviews. Overall a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Vow, February 17, 2012
This review is from: The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story (Hardcover)
Speaking from a stand point of a recovering brain paitient... I feel as though the book, was amazing. I could identify so much with this story.It really opened my eyes to see from the point of view of what my husband goes through as he is my care taker! Even if I can't help the things that I do or say at certain moments later I can go back and give him a hug and thank him for always being there. For being a rock through all of this. Thank you for the courage to share your story to help others!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing Krickitt's voice., July 13, 2014
Discloser: only read the book, haven't seen the movie.

This is a quick easy read that's not filled with a lot of details. I finished the book in a day, and that says a lot coming from a mom with young kids.

I picked up this book because it was at Goodwill for $.75 and I was interested in the amnesia aspect. It took a few months before I actually sat down to read it, and when I did I couldn't put it down. It's a very barebones description of the events that happened to Krickitt and Kim Carpenter. They were a couple in love, having just met they married after what many of us would consider too short of a courtship (mere months). They were married for 2 months when both (and a friend) were involved in a horrific pre-Thanksgiving night car wreck that nearly killed Kim, but severely injured Krickitt, (their friend was not injured). Before the accident they both proclaimed a strong love of Jesus and after the accident they kept that faith. Their faith is ultimately what kept them together.

I'm not a particularly religious person -- spiritual, yes, not religious. I didn't find the book offensive, as some people claim. To me that's ridiculous. This is their story and Christ is a big part of it. I will say that after reading their book I felt moved by their convictions. I did feel they stayed together for their love of Christ and their "Vow" rather than a love for each other (I'm sure that's not completely the case, but the book does leave you feeling that way). I'm not sure I could or would if the same thing happened to me. I did want to note that perhaps some people felt duped not knowing this book is very much about religion and faith, since it isn't stated on the cover anywhere. For that, I think the publishers should have made it clear. On Amazon's description it is stated, but not on the actual book itself.

Like I said, this is very barebones, and for that I was at times disappointed. I connected with the story in the beginning, but I kept expecting more would be told or given, and it never was.

One thing I did not like, is this is really Kim telling their story. I rarely heard Krickitt's voice except in journal entries, and tiny snippets of dialogue. It was an odd leap to go from Krickitt hating Kim and not wanting anything to do with him. To missing his presence. To moving in with him. Now their getting married... again! I never got any love connection. It felt forced. They were staying together simply because of their vows, which is interesting that someone with a brain injury as severe as Kim's could keep, and honor. That was one strong vow -- and love! So for me I didn't feel Krickitt's love for Kim, other than in words in a journal that were asking for God to help heal them and bring them together even stronger.

Overall it's a good read, but don't expect deep romantic insight here. I haven't seen the movie but a trailer, and already I see that the movie is going to be nothing like the actually story, just the essence. Would have felt better about the book if there had been a section devoted to Krickett's telling of the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 377 | Next ›

The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story
The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story by Kim Carpenter (Hardcover - June 15, 2000)
Used & New from: $0.01