Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Antrax / Morgawr / Ilse Witch)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

VINE VOICEon August 22, 2007
This particular trilogy is yet another Must-Have in the world of High Fantasy written by easily one of the greatest Fantasy Authors to ever put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard...). For the very first time, flying ships are introduced into the world of Shannara, creating a HUGE new opportunity to explore unknown regions.

In Ilse Witch, we begin with the introduction of some new characters, and one in particular held over from the Heritage series, namely Walker Boh, the latest in a long string of Druids. Character development has always (in my mind at least) been one of Brooks' strongest talents, and is in fine form throughout this series. We discover the Ilse Witch, and to a lesser extent the Morgawr who seems to be the one pulling all the strings here -- but that comes into play more in the 3rd book. The journey, or Voyage in this case, begins rather quickly, and while some have said that this series begins slowly, I say otherwise. I believe the action and sheer adventure starts rather quickly. A large group is assembled to charter a ship to fly across the sea to an area that nobody knows anything about...and as usual, secrets are being kept from almost everyone by Walker (amongst others)...what nobody really understands is what they will find once they get to where they are going. This journey is fraught with danger from virtually the beginning, and yet Brooks provides us with some of the most creative scenes yet in this wonderful world he has imagined.

Antrax picks up where Ilse Witch left off and is in many ways a rather HUGE departure from what you have come to expect from all previous Shannara novels...the reason why is because where the Voyage takes our band of adventurers ends up in a place that seems to be beyond everybody's understanding and includes technology never before seen by anyone in all the Four Lands...technology once thought to have been lost thousands of years ago...technology that also seems to be alive in some form, and yet advanced beyond anything anyone has ever dreamed of. In short, things are WAY different here -- and yet just as satisfying as anything written before by Brooks.

Morgawr is simply put a fantastic ending to this amazing series. The opening chapter is darker than anything previously written in this world and borders on a horror novel -- and yet I loved it. Tension on top of adventure on top of action is ratcheted up a few levels as we discover more as the revelation of who the Ilse Witch is comes to light and takes center stage. Obviously the Morgawr is also featured and after having finished the book I couldn't tell you exactly WHAT the Morgawr is...but who cares? It's relationship with the Ilse Witch becomes a focal point as well as the future of the Druids comes into doubt as well. The Elven Prince comes into his own by the end of Morgawr, too which I found to be quite satisfying.

While the loose ends are tied together nicely, the very last chapter certainly lays open room for the next series, and did not make a whole lot of sense to me as I finished the book, but don't worry, pick up The High Druid of Shannara series and all will be well with the world. All in all, while Tolkien is considered the King of Fantasy, and J.K. Rowling has surprassed them all in sheer popularity world-wide, it is still Terry Brooks that brings me back to the world of Fantasy again and again and I credit his original Sword of Shannara with sparking in me the desire to read way back in '78...and for that alone I owe him years and years of thanks. He has yet to let me down with ANY of his works. I doubt he ever will.
on May 25, 2007
What can i Say... i don't own the trilogy so much as i do own the three themselves. As with all of Terry's stories, they start off slow... and with a lot of questions.

As all three stories progress, one into the other, you'll find yourself becoming more immersed, in the form of not waiting for the next bit. for me, i picked up the second and third book right after i had finished and set down the previous.

Walker is on a new mission, and only one mission. Bring back the druid counsel at any and all cost's. On this voyage of sort's... one family is missing, the Ohmsford's, and only Walker has the answer as the Isle Witch and her Master, The Morgawr, seek the death of the last druid.

To Join Walkers party, is a band of Rovers and Elven guard, Quentin Leah and his Cousin Bek Rowe, a Half human-Half shape shifting apparition by the name of Truls Rohk, a Dwarf by the name of Panax and Ahren Elessedil an Elven prince.

Suspense is a key factor to this trilogy as those that grow close to each other end up losing one another and while you're trying to figure one thing out for yourself, something new comes along that replaces that figure.

In the End, Walker is going Across the Blue divide in hopes of Reforming the lost Druid council while Bek's ultimate goal has to do with the one and only feared Isle Witch...

You'll find out what awaits you when your read The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy.
on April 20, 2016
I have read Terry Brooks for years, but had never read this series and it is perhaps his best! There are many and varied story lines and they kept you wondering what was going to come next! Terry is very adept at getting you inside of the heads of his characters as well. Very throught provoking!
on September 9, 2015
One of the best series in my opinion. I read some many years ago, but with the series coming, my husband had a renewed interest in rereading them but lost his due to moving years ago. I figured I would get them so we could both read them again, and I could finish the ones I didn't read!
on April 20, 2014
As the first book opens this trilogy, I wasn't sure how I would like the new development of airships. I have never been a fan of mixing medieval-like fantasy with modern-day appliances, but the author uses them in such a way that they retain their old-world use like ships at sea rather than airplanes. After reading subsequent Shannara books, I have found the plot flows quicker when they can travel faster through the use of the airships so it has grown on me. I enjoyed the numerous twists and turns of the simultaneous plots within this story. I found the series surprisingly dark in the 2nd and 3rd books and somewhat traumatic, but the characters seem to come to grips with the reality of it all with a realization that they will never forget the experiences, images and memories of their fateful adventure in Parkasia. There is never complete resolution in Terry Brooks' books which makes them seem more real. Although it may seem repetitive, I like the cross-generational consistency of the characters from the reluctant Ohmsfords to the cavalier Leahs to the tradition-devoted Elessedils. I found Walker Boh's character to be particularly interesting given the transition that has taken place in his life since his introduction in the Scions of Shannara and that the book doesn't end with his goals being fulfilled. If you are considering reading this series, be prepared for a slight deviation from the authors' previous works and buckle in - this one is a wild ride.
on August 29, 2014
Anytime Terry Brooks takes me to a new land, he just expands my imagination. After having read so many Shannara books (all of them), one might think I'd seen everything there is to see in the land. But with this trilogy, Terry takes me to a new place, with new adventures.
on September 2, 2014
I love love love all the Shannara Books, Walker Boh is one of my favorite Fantasy characters ever, and he is amazing in this Trilogy. This is one of the craziest set of Shannara books written. Although the flying boats are a bit weird, and hard to get use to. BUY THIS BOOK.
on September 14, 2014
I really liked this series, following on the heels of the first and second series. My only complaint is the ending seemed slightly rushed and didn't offer closure on some things.

Overall, these have been a great series of stories and deserve a multi-movie series to tell them visually: from the Sword of Shannara through the Elf King and Scions of Shannara to the Jerle Shannara.
on February 1, 2016
I consider Brooks’ Sword series and his Heritage series as “classic” Shannara. Though I don’t think the first series is nearly as good as the second-only Elfstones from the first series stands in the company of the Heritage series, and the first “series” is really only 3 loosely connected stand-alone tales-these two series are both “classic” in the sense that they articulate what most readers expect from a Brooks fantasy effort. The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara is not really a “classic” Shannara series in this sense. Of course, I would not deny the many similarities between Voyage and earlier Shannara work. The types of characters and the various talismans are all very familiar. However, Brooks’ alterations in this series give it a somewhat distinctive feel. So, if you are are new to Brooks and wish to experience Shannara, I would not start with Voyage. There is definitely more representative work. Also, though Voyage can be read with no prior Shannara experience, I think readers of Voyage who have already tackled Heritage will appreciate it more. Walker Boh figures prominently in both tales, and learning of Walker’s path to Druid status in Heritage helps one to understand and appreciate this character in Voyage. In fact, Voyage might most naturally appeal to fans of Walker from Heritage who are curious as to how his career as a Druid proceeds. Prospective readers of this trilogy might also want to consider that Voyage serves as the foundation/bridge to The High Druid trilogy. Though Voyage functions on some level as a complete story, it also initiates but does fully develop certain major plotlines which apparently are dealt with in High Druid. In some sense, then, it makes sense to read Voyage if you are not averse to reading yet another Shannara trilogy after that. But enough qualifications. It should be said that Voyage is an enjoyable, accomplished addition to the world of Shannara, and is closer in quality to the Heritage series than to the lesser Sword series.

Voyage has very good plotting. The story seems straightforward at first (a castaway, a treasure map, competing rivals for the magical treasure, an attempt by the lone Druid Walker to find the treasure and thus salvage his dream of creating a Druid Council), but gets more complicated as various pieces of information are slowly revealed. The focus of the quest changes over time, and Brooks vividly illustrates a valuable and humane lesson about learning to discern one’s role in the present amidst crumbling aspirations. Brooks also does a good job coordinating the numerous plot threads in a highly readable manner. The story flows well, and there is a good balance between action and introspection. If you generally appreciate Brooks’ characterization, you will not be disappointed here. And Brooks puts a highly interesting twist on the relationship between the Ohmsfords in this series that works very well. Further, Brooks smoothly incorporates new elements into his Shannara universe. I must admit I was a little skeptical when I first heard this series involved flying ships, but Brooks does a fine job relating this new technology to the traditional Rover lifestyle and outlook.There is also a big focus on Artificial Intelligence in Voyage. This series incorporates “science” more than previous Shannara entries, but once again Brooks provides continuity as well as novelty. Brooks’ Shannara is post-apocalyptic, and he has always provided warnings concerning the misuse of modern science. The Artificial Intelligence horror show and nightmarish man/machine interface highlighted in Voyage is thus thematically consistent with Brooks’ earlier work. Another relative novelty in Voyage is how little of the story actually occurs in The Four Lands. Much of this novel takes place over the ocean, on little islands, and in the land of Parkasia. The series did not suffer because of the changed locale.

Voyage is a well crafted, creative and rewarding fantasy series. I'm tempted to give it a five star rating, especially considering how well it holds up against a lot of new fantasy entries that frankly don't live up to the marketing hype. However, I’m docking it a bit. The first two books do not function as self-contained tales, which is not necessarily a problem provided book 3 wraps everything up. However, book 3’s “to be continued” feel leaves the reader (at least this reader) wanting a bit more closure than he gets after so many pages. The books in this series are puzzle pieces that together amount to a story fragment. Even so, Voyage is a solid effort.

4.5 stars
on May 26, 2014
A great extension to Brooks' World Shannara. Existing themes are reinvented and new and exciting elements that were hinted at in prior books come full force to the front in this trilogy. If you have read the previous books do not stop there, the Voyage of Jerle Shannara is a a must read for Brooks fans.