Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon March 12, 2007
Most of the folks here already know that The Walking Dead saga is a compilation of stories by Robert Kirkman that expand on the story that is well know to any zombie movie fan. The main story. The one started in earnest by George Romero in 1968 with Night of the Living Dead [and was later remade in 1990 (the version that I prefer) by Tom Savini (with Romero oversight)]

Book 2 is the combination of The Walking Dead volumes 3 & 4 and it continues the story of Police Officer Rick Grimes and his band of normal-world-refugees across a world suddenly infected by a Walking Dead sickness..

In The Walking Dead Volume 3, the group finds a new home after a perilous Georgia countryside journey in Volumes 1 & 2. The home that they find in Volume 3 used to keep the bad locked in when the world was normal, but in our players' New World their home will hopefully keep the bad out.

However, there are some inhabitants already in their new home...both alive and undead. Which will be most dangerous to Rick's group? That's the question and plight of volume 3.

As the group settles into their new home in Volume 4, it's time to clean "the big house". Clean house of some bad prior residents. Clean house of some undead residents. And clean house of rules made prematurely...like, "You kill, you die." That rule clearly just won't do in The New World.

Relationships are forged and strengthened, and relationships are betrayed and broken. A new character (Michonne) is introduced, and she brings with her a strange (split?) personality, a dose of unrest for the gang and--most oddly--an unexplained ability to seemingly tame the undead.

I'm not a regular comic book reader. But I was drawn to The Walking Dead by the volume releases that bring the convenience of being able to get several chapters of the story without the month to month waiting for each issue. And I am now hooked.

The Walking Dead volumes are like reading a screenplay with storyboards of a version of Night of the Living Dead that began simultaneously, but in a different part of the country. Yes, it's kind of a rip-off of a story (stories) already told, but the key is that it's done very very well. The zombies are true to the original Romero creation: slow and stupid as opposed to the 28 Days Later (2002) or 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead fast and thinking zombies.

Volumes 1 through 6 are all available individually. There is a hard cover compilation of Volumes 1 & 2 (Book 1) and this, Book 2, is a hard cover edition of volumes 3 & 4. Each volume takes under an hour to get all the way through; each hardcover compilation takes under 2 hours. No matter how you choose to purchase...hardcover or individual volumes...you'll be left wanting more. I have no info on a hard cover release of Volumes 5 & 6, but I'm sure that it will happen if you prefer to wait.

So anyone in need of a very well done zombie fix that you don't put into your DVD player should absolutely get down with The Walking Dead sickness. Add it to your cart, but be sure to start with volume 1 (or Book 1) and read them chronologically.
on February 8, 2008
This is my new fave series. Can't get enough. If you love romero, things undead, or just character based work, you'll really dig this. I've gotten all 3 hardcovers and now mope about till the new issue hits newsstands. Recommend getting the hc for easy access to all the gooey stuff inbetween. Cover art in the back is a plus. Just go ahead and order it already.
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2007
Imagine the world as you know it gone, and you are constantly on the run. Pursuing you slowly but surely are a horde of exhaustless dead. In this graphic novel The Walking Dead 2, our little band of ragtag survivors finds themselves in a prison, literally. Surrounded by a fence, which keeps the dead out, they must now clear the grounds of any "leftovers" which might be hiding in dark corners. It's an enormous task. The good news is that they have a lot of food, and room to move around. The bad news is that the prison was still occupied by a couple of prisoners and they have no idea what crime these men committed to be there. Trust isn't an issue in a world where everyone must have each others back, including strangers. Each person there has lost someone, and human nature is to cling to anything you have left. Families are formed, friendships are tested, and enemies are quickly dispatched. The new rule is "kill and you die" which means kill one of the living and you will become one of the dead, but not the walking dead, just plain dead.
I wont give anything away, but I will say that I was completely shocked, disgusted, appalled, giddy, distressed, moved and keyed up by this novel. I know that they could never put this on film because they wouldn't ever get permission for such staggering "kick in the teeth" carnage. At one point I had to just put the book down and wait for the blood to come back to my face.
I can't stress enough how richly this graphic novel is drawn. The artistry, the sheer genius of it and the rawness just oozes off the pages. I have seen zombies in films that cannot mirror the ones that are on these pages. Their eyes are filmy white, skin peeled back by the rays of the sun, maggots dropping with every shuffled step, putrid organs now black with rot trailing behind. Their fingers, and arms and legs are bent at angles the human form wasn't meant to. It's a feast for the eyes, as well as the brain.
on January 22, 2014
This bad boy came a week later from the day that I bought it (I live in Costa Rica). It has the most beautiful quality. As the previous one only has 14 issues, with their respective covers at the end of the book. It's Hardcover so you know that you bought something that will remain perfectly fine for the rest of your life (of course that you have to take a good care of it).
The paper is "couché paper" wich is fine, brighter than the average single issue and a bit bigger one, in order to give it the book style that you want. It's beautiful, WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD! that's what I'm talking about.
review image review image review image
on December 30, 2014
True fans will want to know -- this is the book in which Rick's group finds the infamous prison, where they believe they can finally be safe: after all, it has fences, guard towers, cinderblock walls, and, if all else fails, walker-impenetrable cell blocks. There is even an area between the fences and the prison proper that could be used for farming purposes, and don't they know a certain farmer?

So begins one of the bloodiest chapters in the series, as Rick and his people strive to subdue what ultimately proves to be their undoing. At this point in the story, the dead are the enemy, the only enemy. They have no inkling that other survivors are out there, or the threat that they pose. It's still only about Rick and his group versus the Walking Dead.

So much more dramatic, then, when the group finds the prison inhabited, when, for the first time, they are confronted with people outside their own circle.

Most of the story concerns the interaction between Rick's group and a few prisoners who've survived the Zombie Apocalypse up to this point because they were locked inside by fleeing guards ...

Rick is still naive at this point, though Lori is not, voicing concerns that perhaps the dead are not what they should be worried about. There is no law and order anymore. There is no justice. There is just man versus man, which our good friend Rick does not get until things get sour, and very quickly.

One of the former prisoners thinks that they shouldn't share with the newcomers, that Rick and his people should be on their way, and so acts accordingly. Another attacks vulnerable members of Rick's group.

The main theme in this book is the evolution of Rick's character: his growing awareness of what the new world is, and what it will take from him to keep his family alive in it. It's not about zombies at all, but about moral choices.

When there is no law, no judgement, when it is just the strongest imposing their will, and when the weak will perish, what will he do, as leader? What choices will he be faced with?

Again, for fans: this is the transition book -- book 1 is about Rick versus the Dead, book 2 is about Rick's evolution into a man who can look beyond the zombie threat. Book 3 is about Rick's final transformation: his realization that the real threat to himself and his family comes not from the slow, staggering walkers, but from other survivors, who have no law to reign them in any longer.

Fascinating in this book are two things: 1st, that Rick, the former lawman, must turn dictator and murderer for the greater good, thus sacrificing his humanity, and 2nd, the intimations of what man will do when no one is watching, when society breaks down, when survival is the only isssue, and all the hungers of man are no longer kept in check by the system's wrist binds and chains.

All in all, a better book than the first one, in my opinion. Perhaps the best of the bunch. I don't give it five stars for two reasons: 1st, it is still mostly clumsily drawn. Too many rushed sketches, particularly when crowds have to be portrayed. And 2nd, because the psychological aspect of the events are still only hinted at here: the tv series explores them. This book only flirts.
on May 7, 2015
There are some spoilers below so please stop now if you don't want to know.

I fell in love with TWD from the tv series and then learned it was based off a comic. So here I am just finished the 2nd book. The group has arrived at the prison and is settling in. The first thing I've been a bit disappointed with is there is no Darrel. I don't know if he'll come in later on but he is one of my favorites from the show. Andrea and Dale are a couple and Michonne has just joined the group. I really like her in the show. In the comic, not so much. She's a bit of a floosy; which is fine, but she just goes after Tyresse and breaks him and Carol up (they were a couple). Then Carol tries to kill her self. Now the Carol in the show is a tough lady and I like the TV Carol much better. I never liked Lori in the TV show and I still don't like her in the comic. Also another big difference is Hershel. Again I really like TV Hershel but comic Hershel is different. He's not quite the calm Hershel. And in the show he's the one who gets bit on the leg and they remove his leg. In the comic it's Allen.

Now these are just differences in the two stories and neither is better than the other. I'm enjoying the comic as much as I enjoy the TV show. If you are a Walking Dead fan, then you must read the comics too.
on February 4, 2016
I can't wait til the hubby is done with these so I can actually read them. We are fanatic TWD watchers and I finally got a chance to check these off on his Christmas list!!! He isn't a very big reader , but oh my goodness he read through these so fast!! and the entire time I had to tell him to stop telling me parts cause I wanted to read them, he said that they are um a little more "informative" than the show, so I would say NSFK's, which im really happy that he read them first and we know not to hand them over, we even feel uncomfortable giving them to our 15yo. I got him books 1&2 and plan on working on getting him a set of 2 twice a year. I would suggest getting them after you've watched the show only because if you read them first you might be a little disappointed that some things don't happen in the show that happen in the book. But if reading after the watching the show it gives a little more depth to most of the scenes. overall im happy with my purchase and plan on getting more
on January 7, 2016
If you came to the comic from the show, there is nothing here that hasn't already been played on the program already. However, the comic series at this point has some deviation from the show.

As I've said in other TWD collections, this only roughly corresponds. Plot developments are quite different in the comic than on the television series. So, if you've watched Season 2 and the early part of Season 3, there isn't any kind of upcoming television spoiler that can be inferred from this hardcover collection.

So make sure to grab this one up and see the differences between the television series and the comics. You won't regret it.
on March 15, 2016
Got this for myself. I'm buying a book at a time. Love the series and I'm also a huge fan of the show and I like to compare it to the comics and see how it plays out. I did have a huge "X" cut into the front (maybe from a box cutter) other than that it's perfect. I'm not going to go into detail with the story it just begins with them taking over the prison! Great for the Walking Dead fans! Perfect gift for myself!
review image review image review image
on December 16, 2015
MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS
I recently borrowed this graphic novel from my local library.

I am the type of person that reads the book after watching the movie/show etc. To me, the books are always better, and if I read them first, I don't enjoy the movie/ show as much because it just isn't as good, and I am constantly complaining on how the book was better. There are times where there are parts of the show/movie that I liked a little better, like maybe they killed off a character in the book, but kept them going in the show/movie, and they end up being my favorite character type thing.

In this series, this isn't the case. First off, I didn't really know about the graphic novels until the TV show. You will not hear me say this much, except for maybe just this series, but I like the show much better. I do like the graphic novels, don't get me wrong. But I think I would have enjoyed them much better if I wasn't a huge fan of the show. Why, you ask? They are both completely different. Characters show up at completely different times , not to mention, the characters "personalities" are completely different. Yes, there are lots of the same characters, but some of them, the only way you know it is them is by their names.

There are things that are the same. Some of the events are the same. Some of the places are the same. Yep, that's about it. LOL

Now, with that all being said on how different they are, they are worth the read. You will not get bored with knowing what will come next if you watched the show, because you won't. They are so different, that you will have no clue what is going to happen next, who hooks up with who, who dies, etc. I do like the show better, but I have to say, I need to know what is going to happen next in the graphic novel.

My fiancé is a huge show fan too, and has actually been reading the graphic novels when I get them. ( This is the second book I have think I have ever seen him pick up..lol) We discuss the difference etc. I do have to get on him to wait until I am do before he tells me any spoilers.

All in all, recommend the books. TWD fan or not. A good zombie/apocalypse graphic novel with good illustrations. Very fast paced. Adult situations.