Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

VINE VOICEon March 12, 2007
Most of the folks here already know that The Walking Dead saga is a compilation of stories by Robert Kirkman that expand on the story that is well know to any zombie movie fan. The main story. The one started in earnest by George Romero in 1968 with Night of the Living Dead [and was later remade in 1990 (the version that I prefer) by Tom Savini (with Romero oversight)]

Book 2 is the combination of The Walking Dead volumes 3 & 4 and it continues the story of Police Officer Rick Grimes and his band of normal-world-refugees across a world suddenly infected by a Walking Dead sickness..

In The Walking Dead Volume 3, the group finds a new home after a perilous Georgia countryside journey in Volumes 1 & 2. The home that they find in Volume 3 used to keep the bad locked in when the world was normal, but in our players' New World their home will hopefully keep the bad out.

However, there are some inhabitants already in their new home...both alive and undead. Which will be most dangerous to Rick's group? That's the question and plight of volume 3.

As the group settles into their new home in Volume 4, it's time to clean "the big house". Clean house of some bad prior residents. Clean house of some undead residents. And clean house of rules made prematurely...like, "You kill, you die." That rule clearly just won't do in The New World.

Relationships are forged and strengthened, and relationships are betrayed and broken. A new character (Michonne) is introduced, and she brings with her a strange (split?) personality, a dose of unrest for the gang and--most oddly--an unexplained ability to seemingly tame the undead.

I'm not a regular comic book reader. But I was drawn to The Walking Dead by the volume releases that bring the convenience of being able to get several chapters of the story without the month to month waiting for each issue. And I am now hooked.

The Walking Dead volumes are like reading a screenplay with storyboards of a version of Night of the Living Dead that began simultaneously, but in a different part of the country. Yes, it's kind of a rip-off of a story (stories) already told, but the key is that it's done very very well. The zombies are true to the original Romero creation: slow and stupid as opposed to the 28 Days Later (2002) or 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead fast and thinking zombies.

Volumes 1 through 6 are all available individually. There is a hard cover compilation of Volumes 1 & 2 (Book 1) and this, Book 2, is a hard cover edition of volumes 3 & 4. Each volume takes under an hour to get all the way through; each hardcover compilation takes under 2 hours. No matter how you choose to purchase...hardcover or individual volumes...you'll be left wanting more. I have no info on a hard cover release of Volumes 5 & 6, but I'm sure that it will happen if you prefer to wait.

So anyone in need of a very well done zombie fix that you don't put into your DVD player should absolutely get down with The Walking Dead sickness. Add it to your cart, but be sure to start with volume 1 (or Book 1) and read them chronologically.
11 comment42 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2008
This is my new fave series. Can't get enough. If you love romero, things undead, or just character based work, you'll really dig this. I've gotten all 3 hardcovers and now mope about till the new issue hits newsstands. Recommend getting the hc for easy access to all the gooey stuff inbetween. Cover art in the back is a plus. Just go ahead and order it already.
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2007
Imagine the world as you know it gone, and you are constantly on the run. Pursuing you slowly but surely are a horde of exhaustless dead. In this graphic novel The Walking Dead 2, our little band of ragtag survivors finds themselves in a prison, literally. Surrounded by a fence, which keeps the dead out, they must now clear the grounds of any "leftovers" which might be hiding in dark corners. It's an enormous task. The good news is that they have a lot of food, and room to move around. The bad news is that the prison was still occupied by a couple of prisoners and they have no idea what crime these men committed to be there. Trust isn't an issue in a world where everyone must have each others back, including strangers. Each person there has lost someone, and human nature is to cling to anything you have left. Families are formed, friendships are tested, and enemies are quickly dispatched. The new rule is "kill and you die" which means kill one of the living and you will become one of the dead, but not the walking dead, just plain dead.
I wont give anything away, but I will say that I was completely shocked, disgusted, appalled, giddy, distressed, moved and keyed up by this novel. I know that they could never put this on film because they wouldn't ever get permission for such staggering "kick in the teeth" carnage. At one point I had to just put the book down and wait for the blood to come back to my face.
I can't stress enough how richly this graphic novel is drawn. The artistry, the sheer genius of it and the rawness just oozes off the pages. I have seen zombies in films that cannot mirror the ones that are on these pages. Their eyes are filmy white, skin peeled back by the rays of the sun, maggots dropping with every shuffled step, putrid organs now black with rot trailing behind. Their fingers, and arms and legs are bent at angles the human form wasn't meant to. It's a feast for the eyes, as well as the brain.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon September 17, 2007
Robert Kirkman's ongoing zombie saga continues in this second hardcover collection, which collects issues 13-24 of the series (otherwise known as volumes 3 and 4 of the TPB's). As the story picks up, cop Rick Grimes, along with his pregnant wife and young son, and a group of fellow survivors, have found what appears to be an abandoned prison, which they plan to make into a sanctuary as the zombie plague continues to wreak havoc. What also occurs in this TPB plants the seed for chaotic future events, including the coming of a mysterious survivor named Michonne, and a big revelation in regards to the effects of the plague. Charlie Adlard's pencils are once again more than solid, with Cliff Rathburn's gray tones providing a stark look to the proceedings. Horror comics are rarely this good, but Kirkman has crafted a work of horror comic genius here that is clearly inspired by the works of the great George Romero. Just as his films displayed, Kirkman proves that the scariest thing about a zombie outbreak aren't the dead themselves, but the humans in the middle of it all. All in all, of you liked the first hardcover volume of the Walking Dead in the least, this second collection is a must own. For newcomers to the series, things only get better from this point forward.
on January 22, 2014
This bad boy came a week later from the day that I bought it (I live in Costa Rica). It has the most beautiful quality. As the previous one only has 14 issues, with their respective covers at the end of the book. It's Hardcover so you know that you bought something that will remain perfectly fine for the rest of your life (of course that you have to take a good care of it).
The paper is "couché paper" wich is fine, brighter than the average single issue and a bit bigger one, in order to give it the book style that you want. It's beautiful, WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD! that's what I'm talking about.
review image review image review image
on February 12, 2010
This hardcover edition collects the 3rd and 4th trade paperbacks which is actually issues 13-24 of the monthly comic. The hardcover is well put together with nice binding and high quality glossy pages. For those of you who don't know, the comic is in black and white which I think works very well for the grimness of the book. In this collection the words "We are the walking dead" are uttered by one of characters which sums up the title. These stories were never about the zombies, but about the people trying to survive. Sure there are fights with the zombies and they are always a part of the story, but they are back round to the true story of the interaction of the characters. Kirkman has done a great job of fleshing out the players and telling a very interesting story. The art is solid and the writing is always top notch. Besides the actual issues, this collection also has a two page sketchbook and the covers to all the individual issues. Great series and the hardcovers are a great way to collect them.
on March 30, 2007
Collecting trade paperback volumes 3 & 4 (comic books 13-24) this is a great story of life amongst the zombies.

How can Robert Kirkman possibly top what came before? I don't know. But he does it again, here. What's worse - the zombie threat, or the threat the survivors pose to each other?

You'll have to read the million shades of gray in this edition of the zombie classic to find out!

Kirkman is writing a Modern Zombie Classic, that really about the true nature of humanity. And human frailties are very present in this installment.

If there's a god in Hollywood, he should be making Walking Dead movies, right now.
on March 24, 2008
This is book two of the hit zombie comic series. It collects issues 13 through 24 of the ongoing series. Kirkman doesnt shy from being frank and honest in his storytelling, and suprisingly, the focus of the stories are not the zombies, but the human survivors. Dont be surprised if this is made into a movie soon.
on November 19, 2010
I said... awesome.

I assume, if you're buying this, you're already a fan, you've started watching the show and want to be able to one-up your friends, or you've just stumbled upon it.

If it's one of the former, you already know it's awesome. If it's the latter, now you know.
on December 16, 2015
MAY CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS
I recently borrowed this graphic novel from my local library.

I am the type of person that reads the book after watching the movie/show etc. To me, the books are always better, and if I read them first, I don't enjoy the movie/ show as much because it just isn't as good, and I am constantly complaining on how the book was better. There are times where there are parts of the show/movie that I liked a little better, like maybe they killed off a character in the book, but kept them going in the show/movie, and they end up being my favorite character type thing.

In this series, this isn't the case. First off, I didn't really know about the graphic novels until the TV show. You will not hear me say this much, except for maybe just this series, but I like the show much better. I do like the graphic novels, don't get me wrong. But I think I would have enjoyed them much better if I wasn't a huge fan of the show. Why, you ask? They are both completely different. Characters show up at completely different times , not to mention, the characters "personalities" are completely different. Yes, there are lots of the same characters, but some of them, the only way you know it is them is by their names.

There are things that are the same. Some of the events are the same. Some of the places are the same. Yep, that's about it. LOL

Now, with that all being said on how different they are, they are worth the read. You will not get bored with knowing what will come next if you watched the show, because you won't. They are so different, that you will have no clue what is going to happen next, who hooks up with who, who dies, etc. I do like the show better, but I have to say, I need to know what is going to happen next in the graphic novel.

My fiancé is a huge show fan too, and has actually been reading the graphic novels when I get them. ( This is the second book I have think I have ever seen him pick up..lol) We discuss the difference etc. I do have to get on him to wait until I am do before he tells me any spoilers.

All in all, recommend the books. TWD fan or not. A good zombie/apocalypse graphic novel with good illustrations. Very fast paced. Adult situations.