5.0 out of 5 stars Best Zombie comic EVER

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
Published on May 28, 2007 by Some Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Zombie comic EVER, December 31, 2006
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
"The Walking Dead" is (as the name somewhat implies) one of those zombie comics that have become so popular as of late. I've read a few of them, and I must say, this one is the best. The opening is actually startlingly similar to the film "28 Days Later" as our hero, a small-town cop, wakes up from a coma to find that the world has been overrun by zombies and everything he knew and loved is missing or outright destroyed. That similar starting point aside, after that the story takes on a really unique flavor for a zombie story. It's not so much about the zombies themselves, but about our hero, the ragtag group of survivors he joins, and how they try to rebuild after the cataclysm.

Yeah, I know that a lot of zombie movies, at least the really good ones, are "commentaries on society" instead of straight horror flicks. That's very true. But every zombie movie has to have an ending. With "The Walking Dead" being an ongoing comic, and therefore open-ended, we get to see facets of life in a "zombie world" that we rarely see in a zombie movie. The comic is almost never about the immediate threat of a zombie attack (in fact, it becomes clear that many living humans are far more dangerous in this new world than zombies are). It's about how people get by after their entire world has been stripped away from them. That means it really runs the gamut of human emotion -- from terror to grief to anger. It's very dark, often painful, frequently moving, and even occasionally funny. It's like real life.

Really, this story would work almost as well in any global catastrophe scenario, from nuclear war to apocalyptic meteor strike. It's about how people survive, not what they're surviving.

4.0 out of 5 stars There's No Place Like Home...Anymore, December 19, 2006
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
Most of the folks here already know that The Walking Dead Book 1 is a compilation of Robert Kirkman's first 12 (Volumes 1 & 2) Walking Dead comic books that, beginning in 2004, picked up on a story that is well know to any zombie movie fan. The main story. The one started in earnest by George Romero in 1968 with Night of the Living Dead and later remade in 1990 (the version that I prefer) by Tom Savini (with Romero oversight).

The Walking Dead begins the story of Police Officer Rick Grimes as he wakes up from a coma--after being shot months ago in a normal world--in a world overrun by The Walking Dead. The beginning of the story starts kind of the way Paul S. Anderson's film adaptation of the popular game Resident Evil (2002) ended...with the lead character waking up from a coma (in Resident Evil after her adventure trying to stop a virus from escaping into the population that creates zombies; and you guessed it...she failed to stop it).

I'm not a regular comic book reader. But I was drawn to this volume compilation because of the convenience of being able to get a full story without the month to month waiting for each issue. And I am now hooked.

I was surprised to see that Tony Moore's art that supported Kirkman's Walking Dead story was all black and white throughout instead of color, but as I said earlier, I don't read a lot of comic books, so perhaps that's standard op.

Book 1 was like reading a screenplay with story boards of a version of Night of the Living Dead that begins simultaneously, but in a different part of the country. Yes, it's kind of a rip-off of a story (stories) already told, but the key is that it's done very very well. The zombies are true to the original Romero creation: slow and stupid as opposed to the 28 Days Later (2002) or 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead fast and thinking zombies.

Book 1 took me under 2 hours to get all the way through, so indeed, it's just like spending the time to watch a film in front of your big screen.

Volumes 3 & 4 are already available individually and the Book 2 compilation of Volumes 3 & 4 is scheduled for January 2007 (my preorder is in!). Volume 5 is also out already and Volume 6 is scheduled for February 2007; I have no info on the release of Book 3 (Volumes 5 & 6 compilation), but I'd guess mid-2007ish.

So anyone in need of a very well done zombie fix that you don't put into your DVD player should absolutely get down with The Walking Dead sickness. Add it to your cart.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL DEAD HERE!, December 13, 2006
CaterpillarGirl (Gainesville, Florida) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
In the back of this graphic novel is a letter written by the author and artist. In it he explains his love for zombie movies, but his hate for two words associated with every movie...THE END. He wanted to know what happened afterward, what happened after the helicopter flew away, what did the survivors go through, did they die, did they live where did they go? I have to admit I have this same reaction every time I finish watching a zombie film, I wanted more. For that reason The Walking Dead was created, with an open ended storyline, never ending always flowing.

First of all the book itself is gorgeous black and white with a splash of red, its heavy and you just want to rub your hands all over it because its so smooth. From the opening page, you understand that the artists and the author are true fans of the genre, and that they are talented enough to be able to introduce many characters but still giving personalities and background without confusing the reader or losing them. Drawing zombies, and giving them "life" is a hard thing to do, and they accomplish that feat even in black and white. You cannot see the tinge of rotting green, or the iridescence of the flies on their faces, or the blood when they tear into their victims but you don't need to because in black and white they are even more frightening. I could actually swear that I smelled them coming off the page, lips shrunken back, teeth long and hungry and the primordial need to eat flesh.

The storyline is simple and familiar, but it's so well scripted that it's a whole different spin on the zombie universe all together. Rick wakes up from coma, to find the whole town is deserted but for the walking dead, confused and concerned he goes to find his family but they are gone. A survivor explains to him what he knows, and Rick decided to go to Atlanta because that's where his wife and child would have headed to be with her family. So he gathers some guns, gets into a car and off he goes. I won't go into the rest, because as a graphic novel you have to see it to believe it. I read this in one sitting, slowly absorbing every single detail from to the branches on the trees down to gore flying through the air. Volume 1 does leave you with a "will be continued", but you aren't left feeling gypped at all. I already have Volume 2 on order!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first graphic novel. Loved it!!! (Fan of AMC series), December 26, 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
I LOVE the AMC series The Walking Dead. My BF and I watch it religiously. I also watch The Talking Dead afterwards, and happened to catch Aisha Tyler (who's freaking hilarious). She mentioned that she's read all the books. "Books" peaked my interested, so I hopped on Amazon to see what she was talking about. Turns out the hardcover books were compilations of the comic books. I was intrigued and ordered the first under the guise of being a Christmas gift for my BF's brother..

Anyway... I took the opportunity to read it before he took it home. It was great! I love seeing how the comic and TV series both overlap and diverge. The artistry is phenomenal. The storyline of "continuous survival" is engaging. The characters may be drawn in black and white... but they have the depth of the full color spectrum. My BF breezed through it in an hour or so. I took 2 or 3 hours as I got absorbed in the artistry.

I think fans of the AMC series would love this! I'm going to wait until after the end of season 2 to read any more, however, for fear of spoilers. If you love zombies, you'll love The Walking Dead books! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kirkman's Zombie Soap Opera begins!, June 20, 2007
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
The Walking Dead Book 1 is a wonderful hardcover collection containing the first two trade paperbacks in the series. Robert Kirman has created an interesting world and a host of even more interesting characters based on a premise that has been overused in the past (i.e. the world being overun by zombies). The art in the beginning of the book is definitely better than at the end, and once the artist changed when the second storyline came along it took a while for me to get used to it, but Kirkman's excellent writing soon won me over again. With the Walking Dead the strength of the writing really counts for a lot, and it should not really bother me that the book is in black and white, but it does. The characterization of Rick and his family is superbly done, and all the scenes are well-written and excellent. Even so, I would have given this book 5 stars if it appeared in color. Many would scream bloody murder, but I think that the only comic book in black & white worth 5 stars is Alan Moore's From Hell. The Walking Dead is entertaining, but would have looked even better in color, easily warranting the 5 stars I wish I could give. Still, I would definitely recommend it to anyone, even those who don't like the horror genre. It is so much more than just a horror comic. Read it, and find out for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars alls well but a short love segment, August 29, 2006
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
i bought this and read it through in 2 nights, enjoying it as though it were a lengthy zombie movie. it was all very enjoyable but i grew impatient maybe 3/4 of the way through when it transformed from survival to passion. good artwork, not too gruesome, high quality book materials. looks good on shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, but not what I thought :/, December 29, 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
My boyfriend and I have been reading the graphic novels since we found out the first season was on tv-I wanted to get the paperbacks in hardcover, and thought I was getting a great deal-I bought book one and two. However, each book is only 2 graphic novels, not 1-12 as stated in the product review. He loved it, but I was a little disappointed. Look into the compendium, it might be a better choice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, May 28, 2007
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
The Walking Dead book one is a compilation of the first comics in the series (read other reviews for more info). The story isn't original in the slightest. The whole thing is sort of a smattering of ideas already done before a million times. Survivor survives, survivor finds food and shelter, survivors eventually turn on each other, etc. The book pulls it off decently enough, but if you are looking for something new steer clear. There were a few plot nuggets that struck me as original, but it's entirely possible I just missed seeing the movies they based them from.

The art for the first half of the book was quite good. It had some very detailed images, and I enjoyed the style. Unfortunately, the second half must have been done with different artists/time contraints. Every frame takes a much less detailed approach, and sometimes the characters even look distorted. I feel it really took the book down a notch, because the detailed art was one of the few things the first half had going for it. The second half is passable by all means.. just dissapointing.

Overall, if you like zombies give it a try. Just don't expect it to knock your socks off. Personally, I'll still probably buy book #2 despite #1's shortcomings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, May 27, 2007
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
I originally bought The Walking Dead series one by one... after the first three I found this hardcover and I snatched it up right away. One of the best graphic novels I have read and a great zombie tale... I can't wait to see what is coming around next! My copy has been through some rough days now that it has passed through my friends and family but they all love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love it but..., August 29, 2010
This review is from: The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) (Hardcover)
I bought the comics first then bought the book. The book is missing a comic and book 5 did the same thing the editer should be shot this is still by far the best zombie set you will ever read but I hate to say it buy the comics less of a mess up.

The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1)
The Walking Dead, Book One (Book 1) by Robert Kirkman (Hardcover - July 2006)
$34.99 $22.46