Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 5, 2012
I will admit. I didn't get in to the comics until the first season was already over. I quickly started grabbing up any I could get my hands on. Unfortunately with the popularity of the show the prices of the comics sky-rocketed. I saw the first compendium and grabbed it as soon as it was available. The price for what you get is unbelievable. The first 48 comics in one well put together book for 50 dollars!!! When I heard about the second compendium's release, I pre-ordered the first day I could. After MONTHS of waiting it is finally here. The book comes identical to the first. Over 1000 pages of gripping, excellently drawn, drama-filled, excitement! I love the show. I think it is one of the best on tv ever. EVER. The comic blows it out of the water. Since you can draw more than Hollywood can show on tv, you get much more gory, gritty, deaths. They don't have to cater to fans of tv characters or actors and can openly kill anyone(which they do without warning). You don't have the exact same crew you get on tv, and the events are different enough to not spoil the show. If you like the show, if you like the comic, if you want to get in on the greatest thing since sliced human flesh, get BOTH Compendium 1 and 2. They are only up to issue 102, so you can own 1-96 in 2 books. Trust me, you want this!
99 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2014
Kirkman's frighteningly realized world of the zombie apocalypse hits its stride in the second compendium of this graphic serial. The ground rules have now been firmly established: a mysterious viral infection has turned most of humanity into shambling hordes of ravenous creatures. Society has collapsed, resources are scarce and no where is really safe. Desperate choices have to be made at every turn. Beloved characters can and do die with heart-breaking frequency. And every day, horrible things happen to fundamentally decent people; man, woman and child.

And then there's this chillingly unique spin on the time-worn zombie trope: in Kirkman's universe every living soul is already infected. Regardless of how they die, everyone is doomed to rise as a zombie. The only thing that can spare you that grim fate is a well-placed blow or shot to the brain.

But throughout it all, Kirkman keeps us focused on one central premise: in the time of the apocalypse when the dead roam the earth, it is the living that one must truly fear; not the undead.

Thus the titular conceit refers not to the undead ghouls, but the hapless survivors themselves; constantly on the move, always one step away from death, and steadily losing the last shreds of their humanity. The survivors are already walking corpses save one scant biological distinction. What does it mean to be human when survival often comes only at the expense of others? Who are the real monsters when both the living and undead prey upon the those struggling to survive?

This central theme is the essential genius of this comic series, beautifully illustrated in lavish, gruesome detail, peppered with chilling dialog and some the tightest, most soul-searing plotting outside a Cormac McCarthy novel. This is a very dark, very adult "comic" series; but it has profoundly insightful things to say about the nature of humanity.
on October 13, 2012
I had never heard of The Walking Dead until the TV show started. After watching the second season, I decided I had to read the comics. I picked up the first compendium and couldn't put it down. As soon as I saw that the second was was available for pre order, I immediately had to have it.

For those that aren't familiar, this is a collection of issues 49-96 of the comic book series. It is the second compendium. The first one has the original 48 issues in it.

This compendium is just as well written as the first and does not disappoint. I love the story that has been developed in this book. It is now one year since the zombie outbreak occurred. Rick and his friends have just been run out of the prison where they had finally started to make a new life. Rick and Carl have been split from what remains of their group. This volume follows them on their journey to find their friends and try to get something that seems like a normal life again. Along the way, they will reconnect with some familiar faces as well as meet some new people. Towards the middle of the book, they find a place they think could actually offer them a normal life. As the story closes, they discover that the world might not be as lost as they thought.

For anyone that has watched The Walking Dead on TV, I would highly recommend this compendium. It is not the same as the show, but I think the story here is better. I also prefer some of the characters as they are portrayed in the book compared to how they are done in the show.
66 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
For anyone who enjoys AMC's TV adaptation of this series and wants to read the comic series that started it all, the compendiums are a must buy. For $30, you get more than your money's worth. The Walking Dead Compendium 2 collects issues 49 - 96, kicking off right where the first compendium ended at #48. I strongly recommend this collection for any fan of the series or anyone wanting to see what everyone is raving about, as well as the first collection if not read.
on July 21, 2014
Great book, I enjoyed every page. If you like the TV show and/or the telltale video game you should definitely check out the comic books. I just wish they sold it in hardcover instead of paperback, but 48 issues (8 volumes) for only $35.00 is the cheapest you will find. Too bad it doesn't include the cover art from each issue and volume though. Can't wait for Compendium 3! I'm going to pre-order it.
on November 27, 2012
I am not a comic book person, never have been, probably never will be. My husband got me watching the show and I thought it was great. I bought him the compendium one and he tore through it in no time at all so I bought him this one as soon as it came out. I decided I would read the first one since he liked it so much and I couldn't believe how great it was. Gross, sad, horrible unspeakable things at parts but a story that you can believe (if the world were over run by the living dead, of course) So I dived into this second one and unbelievably, it was even better than the first! I just finished it and ran to the computer to "see what happens next" and to my shock and horror (pun intended) the next volume isn't out yet. Come to find out it's only released a chapter at a time until a bunch are already out then the compendium is released. Oh, poor me:( However much you'd like to wait until it's a complete set with an end just waiting for you.... read it! read it! read it! And then suffer along side the rest of us as we wait to see what happens next to our horrible surivors as the treck through a world of terror.
on May 3, 2014
The events between the book and the television series divide so drastically over time that Compendium Two feels like an entirely different story from the show. The comic is certainly a lot grittier, and I feel like the portrayal of Rick in the book is a lot more realistic and holistic than how he is covered in the televised series. I don't want to give too much away, but the Rick in the book is much closer morals-wise to the second incarnation of The Governor in the television show, which is a welcome change since Philip Blake in the show was one of the most complex Byronic anti-heroes that the writers have explored.
on May 18, 2015
Continuing the story of the lives of the people in The Walking Dead Volume 1. Once again, thank you Robert Kirkman for releasing this in a fan-friendly way. A must-read if you care at all about great storytelling in this medium.
on April 7, 2014
Many of us started reading these excellent comics after the show came on the air, but I'm pleased to report that after finishing this volume as well as the first, these books act as great companion pieces to the show, and both enhance that experience as well as surprising you with the twists and turns and extra depth. It's also very clever how well they have taken the show as an outline while still following the pacing of this book. This volume has to be read after volume one, but honestly, even if you just want to peek at what might be ahead from the show and can't wait, this book certainly does a good job of leaving clues.

That said, even on its own, TWD is the one thing I always wanted as a kid - The zombie movie that never ends. Volume two gets a lot deeper into the characters and follows the tradition of being just as much about the humans in the world as it is the zombies. Robert Kirkman seems to have a ton of ideas in his head and keeps the pace moving, but also takes you to some surprise twists and turns that you didn't see coming. He's also a master of that sudden unexpected something out of nowhere. Just as everything feels calm, something CRAZY happens that takes your breath away.

Whether you're a fan of the show who wants a peek at what might be coming next, or just a fan of an epic story, TWD is a win, and if you can find this book on sale, a major bargain.
on February 8, 2016
I came to the comics from the TV show only in the last 3 months, and I've already worked through the first compendium. I love it, and I am just as hooked on the comics as I am on the TV show. What's amazing is how the comic and TV show are both different enough to keep things interesting. It's like being in a parallel reality, yet, sometimes it's word-for-word exactly the same. The second compendium has been quite addictive, and I am amazed at how close Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita look to their TV characters. Great casting there. That all said, I am following both the TV show and the comic as far as they go, and I hope they keep on going on….