5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just a Video Game
The Game of the Year edition includes all five episodes, the special episode `400 Days' and digital access to exclusive content (the original soundtrack and a behind the scenes video). There couldn't be a better time to catch up, as the Telltale Games recently announced the release of Season Two and are currently accepting Pre-orders.

Gamers are aware of the...
Published 13 months ago by SummerKy

3.0 out of 5 stars like the game but...
Published 9 months ago by Phenix

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just a Video Game, November 20, 2013
This review is from: The Walking Dead Game of the Year - PlayStation 3 (Video Game)

Gamers are aware of the crowded world of zombies, but The Walking Dead is not like many games in the genre, it is not a first person shooter or an open world carnage fest of weapons and gore. Instead, it is a story driven point and click emotional roller coaster of a game, where your decision making has far-reaching consequences, resulting in the life or death of those around you. You must navigate this world, investigate your surroundings, solve puzzles, interact with other survivors and manage quick time events.

If you are a fan of the TV show you might often ask yourself why certain individuals make the decisions they do, and swear, sometimes loudly from your couch that you would have done things differently. This is where this game shines. You make the decisions. You decide how to handle dissent amongst your group members, who to feed when food supplies are low and your moral compass is tested by everything from whether to steal food, to lie your way out of trouble, to keep secrets and whether or not you will kill or be merciful. At times, it seems as if killing just might be the same as being merciful. It is up to you to decide, but the consequences affect everyone.

I began the game with the strategy that I would need other people to survive, and in order to maintain a relationship with them; I would need to be honest, helpful, compassionate and democratic. I thought this behavior would prove best. I was still horrified at what happened during my game play. In a post apocalyptic world such as what exists in The Walking Dead, choosing simply to be good or bad is anything but simple. The goal is survival and that can mean doings `bad' things for the greater `good'. It makes the Walking Dead a horrifying, regretful and depressing world as much as it is a moving, emotional and unforgettable one.

You play as Lee Everett, a man in an already regretful situation, handcuffed in the back of a police car on his way to prison for murder when the outbreak begins. Your first encounter is with an endearing, intelligent and frightened eight-year-old girl named Clementine. You quickly realize that her parents are missing, having been out of town during the outbreak and that her babysitter looks like a cross between week-old-cereal and a gutted cherry pie. Lee is fierce in his devotion to Clementine, and Clementine is a bright, hopeful and absolutely endearing soul in a world that houses the most horrid outcomes of human consumption ever conceived. Clementine is as bright as she is amusing and the relationship between Lee and Clementine make the stark, horrible occurrences of a world where the living can be more dangerous than the dead, worth enduring.

If you want to run through the streets bashing in zombie faces and shooting wildly like a blood soaked cowboy you are best to try other zombie games. You have plenty of contact with the zombies and yes, you get to smash heads, chop off heads and shoot through decayed brain matter, but that is not what you will spend the majority of your time doing. You are a leader, a protector and you are best served to observe what is happening around you and within your group, keep a level head and try to think ahead. Still, you will be surprised at where your choices lead you. No one experience will be the same.

The character acting and story line is strong and add to the development of the game. You cannot help but be drawn into what is happening around you. You will face death, you will see others face death and even decide whose life to save. You will make all of life's toughest choices and you will take yourself and your group through the consequences of each one, however slight or severe. Tell Tale Games has set that up quite well and crafted not just a game, but also an experience.

If you are looking for a little more story and reflection in your game play this is a solid choice. The characters are memorable as is the journey. I am off to contemplate my choices. I often find myself thinking I could have chosen better, but in a world like The Walking Dead you have to wonder whether you are exchanging one danger for another, or if you simply going to survive, no matter the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, December 1, 2013
I quickly got addicted to this game. It is more than a game, there is a real plot to it. I await the new releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond words., August 8, 2014
Back in 2001, a video game called Silent Hill 2 came out that totally changed the way that I looked at interactive media. Prior to the release of Silent Hill 2, video games, to me, were just a source of non stop action, violence, and great cutscenes. Of course I had played Silent Hill 1, and I had loved it, as well as falling into the trap of the Resident Evil franchise. I just loved the creepy atmospheres, the creatures, and the action sequences, but in 1999, I was too young to appreciate a good story (after all, in 1999, I was only 11 years old.) But upon completing Silent Hill 2 in 2001, with Mary's death and James's guilt and (depending on the ending) suicide, it made me start to truly appreciate a game for more than just the gameplay. I began to realize that great games were more about story than about what new crazy action scenes they can bring to the table. Silent Hill 2, up until recently, was the only video game that could ever coax tears from my weary eyes.

That all changed with The Walking Dead.

I was a fan of The Walking Dead before the show started. I've read the comics, I've seen every episode of the show multiple times, and I've played both the first and second seasons of the game multiple times. If there is something with The Walking Dead branded on it, chances are I have played with it or seen it.

This game, however... This game affected me in a way that I didn't even know was possible. I mean, after all, these are fake people, these are written animated characters, so who really cares about what happens to them at the end of the day? I do. I care. And I never really thought it possible to truly bond with characters that don't really exist the way that I did with Lee and Clementine. I feel like I've known these two forever, and every little awful thing they go through, I feel like I went through with them. The bond that you form with these characters so quickly is astounding, and is really a testament to Telltale for being able to craft that in a game that most would consider to be a budget title.

The story that Telltale has crafted here is beyond phenomenal. Lee is a convict on his way to prison for murder who finds and befriends a young girl named Clementine. Yes, it's simple, but it works and fully fleshes out, complete with tragedy, cannibals, and graphic violence. It's everything a zombie fan could want. Lee's growth throughout the first season (five episodes total, plus 400 Days) paints him as one of the greatest protagonists in video game history, and his arc in the story, up until the ending, is nothing short of brilliant. Clementine gets recognition here as well, and though her story is more dictated by the actions of Lee and what he tells her to do and her limitations as a child, is still nothing short of fascinating. Telltale has painted a brilliant portrait of a child in a zombie apocalypse, a child whose only motivations are to find her mom and dad. It's truly captivating to see the bond that is formed between this orphan and an ex convict in this post apocalyptic world.

It seems kind of redundant to bring up now, since the game is out and all episodes are available, but if we are being completely honest, I absolutely HATE Telltale's episodic approach. I bought the first episode of this game when it was available and then spent the time between episodes with no idea when the next was going to be available and that was aggravating beyond belief. It's the same thing with Season 2 of The Walking Dead game. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the episodic approach. If Telltale would please kill episodes, I would be a very, very happy man. It wouldn't be such a big deal I suppose if there was a set release date for each episode but since there's not, it's just aggravating and has made me, at one time or another, want to just give up on the game completely. Of course, like I said, this doesn't matter any longer for this game, but if you were like me and played it from the beginning, it was really freaking aggravating.

However, this game is absolutely fantastic. Yes, there are technical issues on occasion (framerate drops, freezing, sound cut outs) but this is the kind of game where the story is just so good that none of that matters. It doesn't detract from the overall experience. If you like adventure games, zombies, point and click games, or just damn good story telling, check this one out. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game............ BUT, January 1, 2014
DON'T DOWNLOAD IT from Telltale, get a hard copy (xbox, PS3, or PC disk) its a complete cluster ^%#! at the site. Its like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there. Bought it, downloaded it, installed it, started it "You don't own this game." WTF!?!?! I JUST paid $24.99 for this and it says I don't own it? "Mike." basically says theres nothing I can do I should hash it out with Paypal. Pretty much the Telltale site redirects you to Paypal to purchase the game. Annnnnnnd thats it, you don't get a key or license or anything you just get a pkg file with the game inside. Theres no communication with Telltale at all to prove you actually paid for the game. "Mike" wouldn't accept a screen cap of the confirmation email from Paypal, nor did I need to plug in my email address during the payment process so of course "we don't have that email address on file." Yea... never downloading a game again if this is what can happen.

and PS release the full freaking game all at once, stop accepting this peace meal garbage once a month updates gamers! Would you move into a house you paid for in cash but they added on a new room each month?

4.0 out of 5 stars Choose your own adventure to the end of the world, November 17, 2014
Dustin and Kate (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews
The best way to describe the Walking Dead Season One is as an elaborate choose your own adventure story. There is some action, though it's relatively simple to make it through. The power of the game lies in its narrative and the characters you spend your journey with. The story is powerful and gripping, with decent replay value for a story driven, fairly linear game with limited action.

The presentation for the game is decent. The graphics are cell shaded and look hand drawn, a style I enjoy myself but know some people do not . The character models don't quite move right, leaving you from ever being sucked into the game, but the graphics are not the point. The sound effects and voice acting are top notch. The cast does a great job from beginning to end with even the peripheral characters you run into doing an excellent job.

The gameplay is simplistic, but you get what you expect. The game centers around the choices you make and how they affect your character, Lee, and the group he is with. There isn't a lot of combat, and the game feel cumbersome when you move away from areas that aren't focused on conversation and choices. If you're looking for a game with solid gameplay you're probably better off just moving on.

As mentioned before the game's story is where it shines. To go into details would give spoilers, but the story is riveting and revolves around the choices you make. The characters are diverse and interesting. They make you want to care about what happens to them. For a story driven game there is decent replay value as I've made it through the game on three separate occasions without it feeling burdensome, but the game is short which helps it not feel drawn out.

The one real gripe I have with the game, aside from the clunky feel to the game when in "action" oriented sequences, is how most of the choices don't really matter. The second time I went through the game I intentionally tried to make different choices to see what happened, and to be totally honest the game forced me down the same path I had taken the first time a lot, taking away the illusion that my choices mattered. What was going to happen was going to happen, and knowing that took away my feeling of agency in the game.

The Walking Dead Season One is a solid, story driven game that will suck you in. If you've played the game before and feel the itch to play it again I would recommend renting the game due to its short length and relative ease. If you're looking to play it for the first time I would still recommend renting it, but if the only options are buy it or not play it it's worth buying at its lower than the average game price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought it to support telltale, August 20, 2014
This is manly for me that wanted a physical copy of the game, most people played this game digitally and moved on to season 2. There's some glitches here an there but the game is amazing. Parents beware there is a lot of cursing in the game that your kids will hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype, May 13, 2014
Tremendous game, almost more than a game really, an experience. The real strength
of the game is the atmosphere. There are moments that are so tense, so creepy they actually give you goosebumps. I have NEVER had a video game do that to me before. In that sense, it really ranks with the great horror/sci-fi movies that I have seen, like the Exorcist, Aliens, and the Shining.

The story is interesting and engaging. You are required to make constant choices as you progress through the game, and though these do not effect the outcome in any significant way, it is fun nonetheless. The graphics are tremendous, the game looks like a comic book come to life. You meet a slew of different characters along the way, some that are charming, some that are honorable, some that are cunning...but most are just downright creepy! I like that they chose an African-American male as the lead character. He is smart, brave, and very likeable -- makes a fresh departure from conventional adventure games.

As earlier reviews have pointed out, the gameplay is without question the weak point of the game. It is clumsy and not particularly intuitive. Combat in the game is particularly awkward and frustrating -- fortunately the bulk of the game does involve combat sequences.

Still, the poor gameplay and weak combat cannot detract from the enthralling story, the brilliant graphics, and most of all, the highly charged and tense atmosphere of the game. It is really like a graphic novel come to life. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars like the game but..., March 31, 2014
I'm wishing I had gotten the digital version, as the disc version starts to screw up after having my PlayStation on for a few hours (maybe it's just my bad luck... but last night it kept skipping things and repeating lines)... though I should have known that a game originally designed for digital download isn't going to play as well on a disc... I've just downloaded so many things that I'm starting to run out of room and this was a little cheaper than buying it digitally (19.99 at the time).

Game wise it should be noted that this is mostly a story and you don't have much control in the direction it goes (I'm really liking the story though). I just started episode three and so far the biggest thing I could change in the story was choosing between a guy and a lady and whoever I didn't pick died... but the guy creeped me out and most people, like me, chose to save the lady (at the end of each episode it tells you what percent of people made the same major decisions that you made).

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS GAME!, May 7, 2014
This game is incredible and has everything: adventure, action drama, horror, and all sorts of twists! I like that you get to decide the outcome, it's similar to those 'pick your own fate' books that I enjoyed as a child.

I've really developed a fondness for all of the characters (even the jerks). Although I don't watch the show I feel like it's an incredible spin-off. Very well written! I also like that there are different episodes, which keeps things interesting. I got so into this that I teared up on quite a few occasions, which apparently is not at all uncommon. You really do feel like you're apart of the experience, which is kind of weird I know...but I have yet to play a more compelling RPG. Can't wait to play part two!

If you're on the fence just go for it! You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, August 10, 2014
Great Story Line. More Dialogue than actual gameplay. Very entertaining. You fall in love with the characters

The Walking Dead Game of the Year - PlayStation 3
The Walking Dead Game of the Year - PlayStation 3 by Telltale Games (PlayStation 3)
$46.10