Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Walking Dead Game of the Year - PlayStation 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on November 20, 2013
The Game of the Year edition includes all five episodes, the special episode `400 Days' and digital access to exclusive content (the original soundtrack and a behind the scenes video). There couldn't be a better time to catch up, as the Telltale Games recently announced the release of Season Two and are currently accepting Pre-orders.

Gamers are aware of the crowded world of zombies, but The Walking Dead is not like many games in the genre, it is not a first person shooter or an open world carnage fest of weapons and gore. Instead, it is a story driven point and click emotional roller coaster of a game, where your decision making has far-reaching consequences, resulting in the life or death of those around you. You must navigate this world, investigate your surroundings, solve puzzles, interact with other survivors and manage quick time events.

If you are a fan of the TV show you might often ask yourself why certain individuals make the decisions they do, and swear, sometimes loudly from your couch that you would have done things differently. This is where this game shines. You make the decisions. You decide how to handle dissent amongst your group members, who to feed when food supplies are low and your moral compass is tested by everything from whether to steal food, to lie your way out of trouble, to keep secrets and whether or not you will kill or be merciful. At times, it seems as if killing just might be the same as being merciful. It is up to you to decide, but the consequences affect everyone.

I began the game with the strategy that I would need other people to survive, and in order to maintain a relationship with them; I would need to be honest, helpful, compassionate and democratic. I thought this behavior would prove best. I was still horrified at what happened during my game play. In a post apocalyptic world such as what exists in The Walking Dead, choosing simply to be good or bad is anything but simple. The goal is survival and that can mean doings `bad' things for the greater `good'. It makes the Walking Dead a horrifying, regretful and depressing world as much as it is a moving, emotional and unforgettable one.

You play as Lee Everett, a man in an already regretful situation, handcuffed in the back of a police car on his way to prison for murder when the outbreak begins. Your first encounter is with an endearing, intelligent and frightened eight-year-old girl named Clementine. You quickly realize that her parents are missing, having been out of town during the outbreak and that her babysitter looks like a cross between week-old-cereal and a gutted cherry pie. Lee is fierce in his devotion to Clementine, and Clementine is a bright, hopeful and absolutely endearing soul in a world that houses the most horrid outcomes of human consumption ever conceived. Clementine is as bright as she is amusing and the relationship between Lee and Clementine make the stark, horrible occurrences of a world where the living can be more dangerous than the dead, worth enduring.

If you want to run through the streets bashing in zombie faces and shooting wildly like a blood soaked cowboy you are best to try other zombie games. You have plenty of contact with the zombies and yes, you get to smash heads, chop off heads and shoot through decayed brain matter, but that is not what you will spend the majority of your time doing. You are a leader, a protector and you are best served to observe what is happening around you and within your group, keep a level head and try to think ahead. Still, you will be surprised at where your choices lead you. No one experience will be the same.

The character acting and story line is strong and add to the development of the game. You cannot help but be drawn into what is happening around you. You will face death, you will see others face death and even decide whose life to save. You will make all of life's toughest choices and you will take yourself and your group through the consequences of each one, however slight or severe. Tell Tale Games has set that up quite well and crafted not just a game, but also an experience.

If you are looking for a little more story and reflection in your game play this is a solid choice. The characters are memorable as is the journey. I am off to contemplate my choices. I often find myself thinking I could have chosen better, but in a world like The Walking Dead you have to wonder whether you are exchanging one danger for another, or if you simply going to survive, no matter the cost.
66 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2013
I quickly got addicted to this game. It is more than a game, there is a real plot to it. I await the new releases.
on August 8, 2014
Back in 2001, a video game called Silent Hill 2 came out that totally changed the way that I looked at interactive media. Prior to the release of Silent Hill 2, video games, to me, were just a source of non stop action, violence, and great cutscenes. Of course I had played Silent Hill 1, and I had loved it, as well as falling into the trap of the Resident Evil franchise. I just loved the creepy atmospheres, the creatures, and the action sequences, but in 1999, I was too young to appreciate a good story (after all, in 1999, I was only 11 years old.) But upon completing Silent Hill 2 in 2001, with Mary's death and James's guilt and (depending on the ending) suicide, it made me start to truly appreciate a game for more than just the gameplay. I began to realize that great games were more about story than about what new crazy action scenes they can bring to the table. Silent Hill 2, up until recently, was the only video game that could ever coax tears from my weary eyes.

That all changed with The Walking Dead.

I was a fan of The Walking Dead before the show started. I've read the comics, I've seen every episode of the show multiple times, and I've played both the first and second seasons of the game multiple times. If there is something with The Walking Dead branded on it, chances are I have played with it or seen it.

This game, however... This game affected me in a way that I didn't even know was possible. I mean, after all, these are fake people, these are written animated characters, so who really cares about what happens to them at the end of the day? I do. I care. And I never really thought it possible to truly bond with characters that don't really exist the way that I did with Lee and Clementine. I feel like I've known these two forever, and every little awful thing they go through, I feel like I went through with them. The bond that you form with these characters so quickly is astounding, and is really a testament to Telltale for being able to craft that in a game that most would consider to be a budget title.

The story that Telltale has crafted here is beyond phenomenal. Lee is a convict on his way to prison for murder who finds and befriends a young girl named Clementine. Yes, it's simple, but it works and fully fleshes out, complete with tragedy, cannibals, and graphic violence. It's everything a zombie fan could want. Lee's growth throughout the first season (five episodes total, plus 400 Days) paints him as one of the greatest protagonists in video game history, and his arc in the story, up until the ending, is nothing short of brilliant. Clementine gets recognition here as well, and though her story is more dictated by the actions of Lee and what he tells her to do and her limitations as a child, is still nothing short of fascinating. Telltale has painted a brilliant portrait of a child in a zombie apocalypse, a child whose only motivations are to find her mom and dad. It's truly captivating to see the bond that is formed between this orphan and an ex convict in this post apocalyptic world.

It seems kind of redundant to bring up now, since the game is out and all episodes are available, but if we are being completely honest, I absolutely HATE Telltale's episodic approach. I bought the first episode of this game when it was available and then spent the time between episodes with no idea when the next was going to be available and that was aggravating beyond belief. It's the same thing with Season 2 of The Walking Dead game. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the episodic approach. If Telltale would please kill episodes, I would be a very, very happy man. It wouldn't be such a big deal I suppose if there was a set release date for each episode but since there's not, it's just aggravating and has made me, at one time or another, want to just give up on the game completely. Of course, like I said, this doesn't matter any longer for this game, but if you were like me and played it from the beginning, it was really freaking aggravating.

However, this game is absolutely fantastic. Yes, there are technical issues on occasion (framerate drops, freezing, sound cut outs) but this is the kind of game where the story is just so good that none of that matters. It doesn't detract from the overall experience. If you like adventure games, zombies, point and click games, or just damn good story telling, check this one out. You won't regret it.
on October 26, 2015
If you're looking for something fast-paced and action packed like COD, Halo, etc. you probably aren't going to be thrilled with this purchase. It is a little more interactive and less adrenaline-rushing than some of the alternatives. If you're looking for something to play along with where you can control the storyline then this is for you. It reminds me of the old Goosebump books where you choose the path you want to take while reading, and the story changes. The game presents you with options in different situations, and you choose what action you would take. The result changes where you would go in the game. Great for something slower but while allowing you to play the game a few times and testing out different outcomes. Definitely wouldn't say it's very "difficult" to beat though, but it is quite entertaining.
on February 19, 2015
This has been one of my all time favorite games. It has a great storyline and tons of action. I love how you can connect to the game on an emotional level. It's like you're actually in the game because you decide what to do and depending on your choices it can alter the outcome. I love how they build suspense in the game as you go along. The game itself isn't too difficult. It's literally just click a few buttons and poof, you're at the next scene. Although, there are some challenges that require some thought. So overall I'd say it's great! It's the game of the year in my book!
on October 24, 2015
First, this is barely a game. It is an interactive movie. A very slow paced movie. My favorite game ever was The Last of Us. Thought this was similar and it's not at all. I don't care for first person shooters, but this is the opposite, to a fault.

UPDATE: Ok, so after tossing this game back into the cabinet I kept scratching my head. How in the world did this win Game of the Year? I'm not picky about games, at all, so how can I hate it so much. I decided to give it a second chance and boy am I glad I did. My second experience was WAY better. If you give this game a chance it becomes like no other. You really DO change how to game is played based on your decisions. Basically as the game progresses you pick which way you want a conversation to go. From being nice to rude, lie or tell the truth? I had to decide between two people, who lives and who dies. That, of course, changes the game play as the story unfolds. Very little frustration in this game as far as not being able to get past a scene because you can't beat the monster. However, you responses are usually timed. So if you don't decide quickly, it will decide for you. This puts some suspense into play. I found myself really invested in this game and the characters by the end. I even shed a tear or two.

Over all, give this game a shot. However, go in with a very open mine. It is cut into 5 'episodes'. Play the entire first episode before you give up on it.
on April 26, 2016
I am a fan of walking dead. I watched the TV AMC series from season 1 and in comparison to the intensity and heartbreaking scenes, this game is totally as emotional and a nail biting experience. The game may not appeal to some die hard gamers as the gameplay is more of a decision making story line. But this is as worth it as any games I have played in PS3. It may not have the replay value of Resident Evil but it leaves you with so much versatility of the story. The way the game is presented is like a graphic novel coming alive and you feel as if you are in the mixed of all the chaos and drama. I was so entrenched that I can't stop until I finished the game. This is the most emotional game I've ever played and will literally break your heart. It may sound corny, cheezy or dramatic but who cares, this game makes you more alive and human than watching a reality show on TV.
on March 30, 2014
This is a very unique and addicting game. I didn't care too much for the controls at first but I got used to them. I enjoyed choosing my word responses and how they and other actions could affect the game and storyline. It reminds me a lot of Heavy Rain, as far as gameplay and varied sequences. You don't have to know anything about the Walking Dead to understand what's going on and enjoy it but it does add more depth in story and fun if you're already a fan. I'm glad I waited for the GOTY edition because of the extra DLC and it's going for a decent price now, most of the time.
on December 13, 2014
If you are a "Walking Dead" fan, a fan of zombies, or just like to play video games, you will like this game. We have had a lot of fun with this game. The description is accurate and the shipping was fast. It was packaged nicely to prevent damage during shipping. I would buy this product again.
on August 3, 2014
Love it! I was already a fan of the show, but I have to say that making decisions that effect the story in this game has made me love the Walking Dead even more. When I popped the game into my PS3, and once it was loaded, I found out that this version has parts 1-5 of episode 1 as well as the DCL 400 Days installed. Since the game has since then been updated, you can go from the menu and purchase the newest parts of episode two very easily. This was well worth the purchase, and I look forward to completing each and every chapter! :)