2,068 Reviews
 (1,691)

Published on August 2, 2011 by K. Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is 3-Disc Special Edition edited ???
First off let me say I love the series. I like the writing, directing, and the in your face style of filming.
I purchased the "The Complete First Season 3-Disc Special Edition, based on the reviews here.
Published on February 10, 2012 by Blues Pwr

5.0 out of 5 stars A Zombie Epic Takes a Double Dip--Great For Newbies, But Probably An Essential Upgrade Only For Fervent Fans, August 2, 2011
NOTE: Some are claiming that the 3-disc edition is edited. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT EDITED. There are no missing scenes. There is an international version available that is somewhat less than complete (edited for gore), so beware of third party sellers. It appears that some U.S. copies may have a playback quirk, though (mine doesn't). On the episode "Guts," if you Play All you might see some material edited. If you select the individual episode from the menu (instead of Play All), there is no issue. Otherwise, the official U.S. release is absolutely fine.

So now that all The Walking Dead TV fans have purchased Season One, here comes the inevitable double dip for the 3-Disc Special edition. I always find this a dubious way to reward fans, by making them regret buying your initial product. It does, however, seem to be a commercial reality that continues to disappoint and exploit consumers. Whether or not you will indulge in the new version will depend on how appealing its additional material strikes you. Here is a run down of the new features with the old features (also included) to help you decide.

5 Stars for the show itself, 1 Star for the repeated practice of double dipping.

NEW Material for this re-issue:

A Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman
Behind The Scenes Zombie Make-Up Tips
Convention Panel with the Producers
The Walking Dead Trailer
Extra Footage (Zombie School, Bicycle Girl, On the Set with Robert Kirkman, Hanging with Steven Yeun, Inside Dale's RV, and On Set With Andrew Lincoln)

Original Review:
When I heard that AMC was going to produce a television series based on the zombie epic "The Walking Dead," I was both concerned and delighted. A bona fide classic in undead lore, Robert Kirkman's "The Walking Dead" graphic novels are brutal and surprising--not really what I would picture for a basic cable TV show (the first season is only 6 episodes, we'll see where it goes from there). But AMC has produced terrific and prestigious shows like "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad," so I was pretty stoked to see what they do with this. Add Frank Darabont of "Shawshank Redemption" fame as the creative force behind the show, and I'm pleased to report that we've got a winner!

For years, I've maintained that the principle themes of Kirkman's vision have little to do with actual monsters. This is a story of human survival, of morality, of loyalty, of sacrifice--of doing anything necessary to carry on without losing the basics of what makes life worth living. The fact that this is occurring within the midst of a zombie apocalypse is just a bonus! Darabont and team are fully on board with the notion that it is humanity, not the undead, driving this epic struggle. So while "The Walking Dead" expertly crafts its horrors, the real emotional weight is conveyed through its characters and the decisions they face on a daily basis.

The story in these six episodes, for the most part, adheres to the first few individual comics or the collected "Volume One: Days Gone By." This is the series' jumping off point--and, in truth, sets things up in a fairly typical way. After being involved in a shoot-out, cop Rick awakes from a coma isolated, but not alone, in a local hospital. Apparently, in the time he was out, something has shifted in the world and now the dead walk. The program introduces Rick and many other principles as he tries to figure out what is happening while he crosses the state to locate his family. On the outskirts of Atlanta, Rick is reunited with his wife Lori, son Carl, and police partner Shane with a group of other survivors. I was afraid, with so much story to draw from, Darabont might rush things. Instead, "The Walking Dead" takes its time setting up the premise, introducing the cast, and establishing a bleak new world. It is a tremendous accomplishment that really allows the viewer to identify with the action, to become emotionally connected with the horror.

There are a few diversions from Kirkman's text, but they actually enhance the drama. I particularly enjoyed the possible introduction of one of the series' greatest villains at a much earlier point--rounding off his back story for a reemeergence in the future. With such a large cast, the standouts in the beginning have got to be the leads--Andrew Lincoln as Rick and Jon Bernthal as Shane. Hopefully, should there be a second season, more of the supporting cast will get to shine--but their early contributions are uniformly fine. Lincoln displays an intriguing balance of strength and vulnerability, but it's Bernthal who is the break-out star for me! The gore and effects are absolutely top notch and should be appreciated by horror aficionados. Those that love zombie mayhem should have more than enough to whet their appetite. But, and this I stress, "The Walking Dead" is sophisticated, adult entertainment that should appeal to viewers who might not ordinarily target this genre as well. This is just great TV, plain and simple, and something unexpected fresh (if you can call rotting flesh fresh) on the TV landscape. KGHarris, 11/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie Mayhem Takes A Back Seat To Searing Human Drama In This Near Perfect Adaptation Of An Undead Classic, November 16, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A Television Snob Confesses - Five Stars, February 6, 2011
++++ NO SPOILERS ++++

I love horror and outre film and television, but, no pun intended, I thought until "The Walking Dead" that the zombie genre was a played out mining town. Starting far back with Bela Lugosi's fantastic "White Zombie" all the way up through the masterpiece "Night of the Living Dead" and ending in satire with the hilarious "Army of Darkness" and "Shaun of the Dead," I thought myself to be on safe ground in this harshly critical assessment. Sometimes, it's a pleasure to be flat wrong.

I watched all six episodes of this, and cannot wait for the next season. It's an ensemble acting piece, so focus never lingers too long on any one particular character. This is a brilliant opening gambit for television since the viewer can, in a way, vicariously share the dread of "just getting to know someone" and then have them ripped away, either by the evil of men, mischance, or zombie attack. Some think that the acting is contrived. I do not. All of the characters are on edge, just up to the point of hysteria, and played consistently thus. True, it can make for one-note dialogue and predictable, archetypal situations, but what other notes might there be in the opening month of the end of the world, and a world not only ending but grown hideously hostile to boot? It will be interesting to see how the actors manage the change into something "else" as they adapt to a zombie-filled world, and I hope they are up to the challenge. From the looks of things thus far, they are.

And this makes the title especially provocative. One would assume that "The Walking Dead" refers to zombies. I am not sure of that at all. Here, the undead are the backdrop to the action, not the action itself. The action lies in the excellent ensemble acting and cleverly turned scripting. It may well unfold that the living are the ones who end up truly meriting that disturbing title, not the once-human shambling mounds of flesh haunting the desolate streets of "Necropolis Atlanta." I have an odd suspicion that by the end of season two, the mindless juggernaut of zombie hordes will be a pale shadow compared to the darker and more malevolent forces that can shape the human soul into something far more fearful and terrifying. And these six shows set up that subtle possibility with suprising elegance as the normal turns suddenly abnormal and the "brave new world" or both urban and rural America comes bloodily undone.

This is not a show for the faint of heart. The make-up and effects for television are very well done and almost entirely convincing. The adult situations, profanity, and desperate sexuality also make "The Walking Dead" unsuitable for minors. But for adults, this is nothing less than a treat and not a "guilty pleasure."

So spread the word. Zombies are back, and very scary again. Almost as scary as the people trying to outlive them. Five stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is 3-Disc Special Edition edited ???, February 10, 2012
While watching my new purchase I was EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED while watching Ep.# 2 "Guts" in the scene where they run into the alley to grab the walker to dismember and use his guts and body parts for camouflage, that entire sequence is edited out of this supposedly complete special edition.
It shows them grabbing the walker and bringing him into the building and closing the door and the next thing you see is them walking out the door covered in the guts and parts.
The whole 3-min+ scene is gone where they talk about who he(the walker) was before and starting to chop him into pieces.
One of the most graphic scenes in the series so far and its not on the complete special edition discs!!!

I am equally dumbfounded that previeous reviewers failed to mention this.
Had I known this was an edited edition I would have purchased a non-edited version.

I feel totally ripped off and let down by Amazon and previous reviewers not to have disclosed this until now.

BUYER BEWARE THIS 3-DISC SPECIAL EDITION SERIES IS EDITED !!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shows on TV, November 23, 2010
B. Strickland (Southeastern US) - See all my reviews
Even if Zombie flicks have NO appeal to you, this show is so well done I can't imagine anyone not appreciating the story. I can't get enough. I'll buy this season and every other they make of it. 10 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too scary to watch, and too good not to!, May 18, 2011
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Season 1 (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would not describe myself as a zombie fan. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally get lured over to that territory through popular culture or a particularly irresistible bit of story-telling. I have no cable television in my home, but even I'd heard enough buzz on The Walking Dead to be intrigued. After all, it's the same network that brought us Mad Men, and I've been hooked on those DVDs for years. Still, as scary as 60's-era advertising execs are, I wasn't sure I was prepared for zombies. I called my buddy Jimbo and asked, "Will The Walking Dead be too scary for me?" His answer: "Yes. But you have to watch it anyway for the story-telling." As usual, Jimbo was right on both counts.

In the extended pilot episode, a Georgia sheriff's deputy is shot in the line of duty. He eventually awakens, scruffily bearded, in the hospital after an unknown period of time. He is still weak, bandaged, and disoriented. Is he really awake at all? Because he's awoken alone in a nightmare world. The hospital is deserted, and there are terrifying signs of violence everywhere. The morgue has been locked down tight, but there are... things behind the door. Outside, he finds dozens of decaying bodies lined up like logs. So begins Rick Grimes' odyssey in a wholly changed world. Eventually he meets other survivors who explain that the dead have risen and who give Rick the basic info on this brave new world. His only immediate goal is to survive and find his wife and son.

Enough can not be said about the quality of this television series. From performances, design, special effects and makeup, writing, and direction, this series on the small screen rivals anything you'd see on the big screen. I don't believe I've ever seen the horror genre treated with such respect and intelligence. The Walking Dead won't appeal to a universal audience, but there is simply no denying how good it is.

The first season DVDs contain a mere six episodes, but they include a nice variety of DVD extras ranging from several making of-style documentaries to a how to achieve zombie makeup tutorial for Halloween. I was disappointed by the lack of commentary tracks, but hopefully they'll be included next season.

Yes, Jimbo was right. This show is way too scary for me. I watched these episodes one at a time, with the lights on, and not before bed. They truly scared me to the point that I could barely continue watching them. I was cursing Jimbo the whole time and swore that I would not be watching season two. But by the time episodes five and six were viewed, I knew it was hopeless. I'm hooked. I need to know what's going to happen next, but I dread finding out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A series focuses on fantastic drama more than zombies, January 17, 2011
I was riveted by this series. It was fantastic and the quality of every aspect about it made it quite cinematic. It never felt like a television show.

Every zombie movie touches upon the difficulties of adjusting to life once society breaks down. However, in those zombie movies, they are only able to devote a few moments, out of the 90-120 minutes, to that enthralling subject.

In this series they go through a painstaking detail about what it's like to lose your family, dealing with "dangerous" survivors, the logic of racism when there is no longer a real race left, sacrificing survivors for the betterment of the others, how to maintain a family and raise children in an apocolypse, figuring out the vulnerabilities and behavior of the zombies, and whether life is really even worth living in such a bleak world.

The zombies are pretty much secondary since they just exist to create this stunning landscape to establish a top notch drama. This is as good as anything that could be out there. Even my wife, who would never willfully watch a "zombie" movie, was totally engrossed by this captivating drama.

This is a "perfect ten" of a piece of entertainment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Words can be meager things, sometimes they fall short...but, May 18, 2014
This 3 dvd special edition of Season One of The Walking Dead really hits the mark. Forget about the original dvd release, the special edition is the one to buy. If you bought the original dvd release, this special edition is still a must have and is worth the double dip. All six episodes from season one are uncut and are presented in a 1:78 anamorphic widescreen transfer that looks fantastic. Audio tracks on the episodes are English 5.1 and French 2.0 and there are English and Spanish subtitles on the episodes only.

Here is a breakout of the 3 discs...

Disc One:
1. Days Gone Bye (has 2 audio commentaries)
2. Guts (has 1 audio commentary)
3. Tell It To The Frogs (has 1 audio commentary)
4. Vatos (has 1 audio commentary)

Disc Two:
5. Wildfire (has 1 audio commentary)
6. TS-19 (has 1 audio commentary)

Extras: (Note: All of the extra material has English audio only and no subtitles or CC)
Featurettes:
*Making of The Walking Dead (30 mins)
*Inside The Walking Dead Episodes 1 - 6 (5 mins each)
*Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman (5 mins)
*Zombie Makeup Tips For Halloween (6 mins)
*Convention Panel with the Producers (12 mins)
*Trailer

*Hanging with Steven Yeun
*Inside Dale's RV
*On Set with Andrew Lincoln

Disc Three:
The Extras continue...(Note: All of the extra material has English audio only and no subtitles or CC)

The Black & White version of the Pilot Episode (English audio only and no subtitles or CC)

Featurettes:
*We Are The Walking Dead presented in 3 parts (56 mins)
*Bring Out The Dead-The Art of Making Zombies (17mins)
*Digital Decay-VFX of The Walking Dead (12mins)
*No More Room In Hell-The Walking Dead Phenomenon (12 mins)
*Adapting The Dead (7 mins)
*Killer Conversation with Frank Darabont and Greg Nicotelo (13 mins)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm just so pleased the dead are out walking the streets., November 26, 2010
I can't give this 5 stars because I think some of the acting is a little sketchy, but I like the series a lot so far.
It has an appropriately charged atmosphere for the genre and the pacing is just right. Some reviewers complain
that there's not enough zombie-killing. The gaming audience is hard to please, but the paucity of graphic violence adds to the
shocking brutality of the action scenes when they do turn violent and it would be a short-lived series if the focus was
on mere gore instead of the interpersonal experiences of the survivors. The makeup and special effects are great and
the series seems to be pretty well written so far. These are hard characters for the actors because they have to project
the serious tension of the situation believably without appearing stiff or maudlin. The director is letting the actors be
a bit lazy in places but this is a really fun show even if you don't like zombies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comas, Empty Halls, Shovels, Doorknobs, and Cities that have both Sites and smells, November 21, 2010
TorridlyBoredShopper "T(to the)B(to the)S" ("Daddy Dagon's Daycare" - Proud Sponsor of the Little Tendril Baseball Team, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When Rickk was shot in the line of duty, the worst thing people around him could imagine was the coma he drifted into. When he awoke, however, he found that he was alone in a world gone mad. Instead of a hospital bristling with activbity, he found a scene thatt would send most people over the edge. Luckily he noticed some signs like "The dead are here" and chains seperating reaching hands from the thing they desired, and he found a mentor. Now wondering where his family could be, he finds himself heading out and trying to find whatever sleeps within Atlanta. A lot more happens from there, including emetings and whatnot, but why spoil the surprise? You need to wonder what Rick will find, if friendship can exist, and if love springs eternal.
And the doorknob - ask yourself why that part happens day after day in a land where the dead supposedly don't feel a thing.

When it comes to Kirkland and his work, I have always been a fan. Still, I NEVEr imagined something that was done on this scope. If you are a reader of the comic, you will immediately recall the people you see. The character that trains Rick and the people he finds, the things that happen to him and the humanity that drives the story - it is ALL here and more. I was blown away by this experience and, honestly, I wanted the people to succeed. I felt for Rick and his plight and, for someone who has read a lot of these scenarios and has seen more, that's amazing. The dead walk and yet I feel for the people. go figure.

The zombies in the series are amazing up to this point. As I review this I am currently on the third episode and, really, it doesn't let up. You have six to content with - on of the things the channel does with shows like Breaking Bad to see if they take - and this show took. If numbers mean something, around 11 million tuned in the first week. And I have to say it touched me. rick has a moment in a park where he sees one of the dead crawling and, as he speaks to it, it made me tear up. You rteally wouldn't expect that in a world gone mad but even the dead make you feel pain and sorror for them. THAT says a lot. The cities are overwhelming in the way they are designed as well, pointing to the things that happened there. you don't have to see the army throw down, for example, to see desperation. you simply see what is left behind and you can feel it. The same goes for the people and the things that they have and need. They talk about creeping into places and they talk about their needs. It makes you think how fast things would go downhill.

As far as people go, you also see just how bad they can be. From the way that racism plays a part to the way that people group up, you see boundaries being drawn. You also see the way women are treated and the way men sometimes stand up, also drawing on old conventional attitudes that seriously hurt people's chances in a world where zombies walk and everyone carries a weapon. Feeling tear at people like open wounds, too, and you note how ugly those things can become. That is part of the brillance of the series - it really makes you feel and makes you hate. It also makes you realize that not everyone can be saved - a lesson some characters have to learn harder than others. To me that is a lovely thing, too.

Even if you don't like things like ths, The Walking Dead will amaze you. From the fact that being human can be a weakness to the fact that the dead are not truly the monsters out there all ties together. People have tried to make things like this, too, but never like this. If you watch oe thing that is different, watch this and try it on. Really, you only need six nights of your life and you'll find something beautiful. I recommend it to those who like zombies, those who like end of the world scenarios, and those who like people driven shows alike. It is utterly amazing.

The Walking Dead Season 1