5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to be the best...
Published 22 months ago by Cletus Van Damme

3.0 out of 5 stars Victim of His Own Success
Published 22 months ago by Alf R. Bergesen

5.0 out of 5 stars Continues to be the best..., December 28, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
I've been reading comics off and on my entire life. Zombie related media happens to also be one of my passions so reading a zombie based book just makes sense. It is the only comic I have read 100+ issues of and am very glad I did. While it is true like many people complain that it often gets a little slow or lacks a high zombie kill count, I think it is good for the progression of the book. The slow parts bring a false sense of security that makes you forget the dangerous world these individuals are living in. When things seem routine or safe for a few minutes, the world comes crashing down; and yes, it comes crashing down in this volume for sure. It is a haunting reminder as the TV says to "fight the dead, fear the living." After I read this volume I felt numb and uneasy going to sleep for the night. Do yourself a favor and do not read any spoilers. Do not be one of the people who says "I saw that coming". Do not be one of those people who refuses to get lost in the book. Let the book take you on the great adventure thrill ride that it is. If you have not read the series at all, simply pick up The Walking Dead: Compendium One & Two which cover 1 thru 96. This volume is issue 97-102. Overall the best comic reading I've ever done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Victim of His Own Success, December 4, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
Early in the evolution of the Walking Dead, Robert Kirkman established the operating principle that no character was safe, that anyone could die at any time. It was a successful formula, granting the series a genuine suspense and grittiness most traditional comics lack. Unfortunately, so many major characters have met their demise over the course of the story that there are very few compelling characters left. Without giving too much away, this particular volume kicks the mortality rate up a notch or two. As the population of characters readers might care about is rapidly decreasing, so too does the degree of originality in the storyline. This volume doesn't introduce anything new. Negan is not terribly different than the Governor; both are predatory sadists with whom it is impossible to negotiate or reason. The internal struggles presented are more of the same (Rick's self-doubt as a leader, survivor's guilt, qualms about killing, emotional numbness at the loss of friend, etc.). The characters are becoming caricatures. The whole formula's getting stale fast and it's time for a major shake up. The series seems to be stagnating creatively and I'd really rather see it go out with a bang soon than putter along for a few more years, running over the same old ground. It might be time to start thinking about putting the Dead to bed.

4.0 out of 5 stars This means war, March 14, 2013
Sibelius (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
This volume compiles issues #97-102 and as of March 2013, this is the most recent compilation with volume #18 schedule for release in June '13. The story line and character arc takes a major shift from the opening pages of this volume so if you've followed the story up until now there's no reason to pass this one up.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this series, but recent books have been kind of lame, February 13, 2013
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
I have been reading this series since its inception, always reading the 6 month compilations as soon as they come out. But I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the last few additions, because not much is happening in terms of moving the story forward (or it moves too slowly). Don't get me wrong, there were some great parts, but it's a lot of the same. In a way, it's becoming a cliche of itself overtime.

3.0 out of 5 stars Familiar Territory, December 10, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
First let me say that this item arrived in perfect condition and was shipped promptly - I got it on the day it was officially released and physically, it's great.

That said, the actual plot is starting to feel like we're treading water. I don't want to spoil anything, but the major events in this collection just don't feel very inspired. At the risk of being overly cynical, the shocking violence and heart-wrenching incident(s) in this issue feel more like setups to sell more books as this year's recycled story arc goes on.

On the other hand, as other reviewers have noted, we were warned from the beginning of the series that anything could happen at any time - it's just that in this case, "anything" equates to things we've seen before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking Dead Vol17, November 2, 2013
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
Bought for a friend who loves the whole "Walking Dead" series. She cannot get enough of it so this and other volumes are doing the trick,

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOCKING & TRAGIC READ!, October 17, 2013
WARNING: Spoilers!

I can't BELIEVE how this book made my day after I got it! The action starts moving right from the beginning! There's also new characters that are soon going to be on the "road of development" throughout the series, and still-moving elements that'll surely keep you from putting this book down. I must say, though, that I was VERY depressed after the death of (Gl...never mind) a very IMPORTANT member of Rick Grimes's zombie apocalypse survival team! The ending of this book is also very sad as well; but extremely well-written and drawn out. Let's just say, you'll enjoy reading this book and hopefully go after more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Devastating..., December 23, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 (Paperback)
Perhaps the most devastating issue of TWD yet -- and that's saying a lot for this series!

This issue haunted me long after I'd finished reading it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 5, 2013
Kindle is so innovative and awesome. I love reading these comics on my kindle app for iPad. If you enjoy the TV show, you will really enjoy the comics.

5.0 out of 5 stars crushing, March 6, 2013
Wow
i had to read it twice. The best graphic novel series I've ever read. It's like reading into the psychology of early dueling civilizations. Wow this is such an amazing series. Its so much bigger than being about zombies. It's about how we live as humans and the decisions we make.

The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17
The Walking Dead: Something To Fear, Vol. 17 by Robert Kirkman (Paperback - November 21, 2012)
$14.99 $10.81