4.0 out of 5 stars Fair.
I give a 4 because I don't like first person games.
Otherwise it is a great game if you are into the Walking Dead and Zombies.
Published 6 months ago by Sherry Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Daryl
Like many other people that purchased this game, I was highly disappointed.
I will get the ratings over with first, then I will go further in depth with my thoughts on this game

Graphics: 1 out of 5
Story: 1 out of 5
Gameplay: 3 out of 5

Published 18 months ago by Nicole S. Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Daryl, March 26, 2013
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Like many other people that purchased this game, I was highly disappointed.

Graphics: 1 out of 5
Story: 1 out of 5
Gameplay: 3 out of 5

The game is short. I have been recovering from surgery and can't move around too much, so taking my time with this game was the perfect opportunity to see what it was all about. Unfortunately, what I thought would keep me busy for at least a week or so only lasted for about a day and a half. I was left with the feeling, "That was it?!" The $50 price tag on this game is ridiculous for the short amount of gameplay. Although, I have to say the game developers were probably wanting to make this a game with "replay value." I only say that because as you go through the maps in the game, you can choose which roads you wish to take (which will bring you to different locations obviously). So, if you didn't visit the mall or the hospital in your first playthrough, you can start the game over and visit all the locations you had not visited previously. Some maps were more fun than others, but you will get that in most any game you play.

The main reason I purchased this game is because I love stories. I was psyched to learn more about Daryl and Merle's back story, about the crazy, unadulterated mischief they get into before running into Dale's group. But I was sorely let down.
(SPOILER ALERT*
Knowing exactly what happened to Daryl's father is kind of cool, but not cool enough to justify a $50 price tag on this game.
And knowing what happens to Daryl's father is about the deepest this "story" delves when it comes tothis game.
As another rater commented, at the beginning of this game, there seemed to be a hint of a story unraveling, but it quickly fell apart and the game just turned into repetitive zombie-killing, doing menial and highly boring tasks for survivors you find along the way and lots of driving. I would like to mention that no, you do not actually get to drive a car in the game (I would have given this game a higher rating if you were able to drive a car - imagine all the zombie-smashing possibilities!) - driving a car in this game just consists of watching your vehicle move across the map on the loading screen (which happens far too often).
*HUGE SPOILER ALERT*
The only other thing that excited me about this game is the fact that Daryl runs into Amy and Andrea's parents. But that excitement lasted for about a fifth of a second. I thought that maybe the story might get rolling at this point, but I was sadly mistaken. They only wanted me to go on a supply run for them.
And speaking of stories, this area of the story (running into Andrea's parents) doesn't fully line up with the show. You would think that after Andrea's father actually mentioned the names of his daughters to Daryl, that Daryl would have at some point mentioned to Andrea that he had run in to her parents in suburbia somewhere on his way to Dale's group. But I'm not pitting this against the game, because I know I'm being overly picky about that story loophole (like I said, I love stories, GOOD stories).

The graphics on this game are poor compared to other games being released. It is blocky, the animation is jerky at times, some textures are used too often, huge parts of some environments are left empty (and boring) and the zombies' hit boxes seem to disappear when there are a large amount of them grouped together. Truth be told though, I didn't expect much when it came to graphics when I heard it was an Activision game (as they're not well-known for being high quality players in the graphics department). So, all I can say about the graphics is, I kind of expected it.

Overall, the only thing I truly enjoy about this game and had fun with is the crossbow. Plus, I like the fact that Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Michael Rooker (Merle) actually did the voices for their characters in the game.

If you want a decent walking dead game, check out The Walking Dead by Telltale Games.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea - This Game Was Rushed by Developers, June 2, 2013
Of course we all love the Walking Dead.

But this game was way to short, poor graphics and not as expansive as we all had hoped out of this game. I wouldn't spend more than $20 purchasing this used.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, name recognition only true positive., March 19, 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I think the graphics have been covered already, and it's not a real concern for me. First, let me state there are areas of this game that are difficult and frustrating. Not difficult in the sense that it takes some unique game playing skill or expertise, just that you have dozens of zombies on you and the 'kill' methods aren't the quickest or most precise. As another reviewer stated, this game has one true positive attribute, and that's the tie-in to the show. The game is hardly much fun, doesn't introduce any new gameplay mechanics, and isn't open to roaming. I loved the Walking Dead from Telltale, and I realize some didn't. It was engrossing and engaging and you felt the true desire to keep Clementine safe. This is more of a zombie kill game with no thrills or frills, but the zombie killing isn't much fun. I wish when one was coming toward me I could just jab my blade straight into the head or grab the rascal, shove him against the wall and jam it in the head. Basically, any halfway realistic proficient use of your weapons during a kill would be welcome. All the characters in the show would be dead by the first commercial break if they were so inept at killing the undead.

The stealth actions on this are ok, but you won't stealth your way around huge zombie hoards. My best recommendation is buy this game sub $20, I got it on a 'deal' for opening day, and believe me, I had enough research ahead of time to know not to buy at the $50 mark. I think there are diehard fans of the show that will rate this high, but I feel giving it more than 3 stars isn't realistic for the average gamer. Let me stress that an average gamer doesn't mean the COD fanboys, just people who enjoy fun games, unique games, and ones that you can't wait to start after work or school. The Walking Dead could truly be a great game if done better, with more diversity/roaming, better game mechanics and actions, and I'd actually love some true scares, not just a zombie that happens to be around the corner. I think this game is more about seeing 20 zombies between you and the getaway car, over and over and over...

1.0 out of 5 stars Gives Walking dead a bad name!, October 21, 2013
Shaide (California) - See all my reviews
I am a huge fan of Walking dead! I have watched the show, read the comic books and played the games. This is one game that I wish I didn't even know existed. It almost ruined walking dead for me!

The game follows Daryl in the first days of the apocalypse, as he travels around doing what Daryl does, which usually involves stabbing zombies...Er...I mean Walkers, in the head.

The game is labeled as a FPS, but you really can't do much first person shooting! You see, ammo and weapons are limited, and to be honest you would have better luck without shooting things, since the sound of gunfire will draw every walker right to you, and odds are, you won't have enough ammo to fend them off!

If you are a hardcore fan(Like myself), you will likely enjoy the game at first, but the novelty will VERY quickly wear off! This is definitely a rental, and not a purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, June 12, 2013
I am a HUGE Walkind Dead fan but this game is just plain boring. It's so repetitive and the graphics are terrible. I would avoid this purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I was expecting, April 17, 2013
Like many people I am a huge fan of the show, and when I saw this title was being released by Activision I did something I never do.....I pre-ordered it. Now I realize why I don't pre-order games. This game is a first person shooter, which is frustrating when you want to see a wider viewing angle, especially when dealing with Zombies. I prefer the view as in inFamous and Uncharted where you can see a lot more of what is going on around you.

Basically you pick your weapons, find transportation and move about from town to town. And killing the zombies could have been made much easier. Typically you just have to keep hitting zombies in the head a few times to kill them or simply use a shotgun. What ever happened to just using a knife or stake, once through the head? Note: This can be done by sneaking up on them, but you can't do this with all of them as a lot of the time you will have 3 or 4 on you at once.

The gameplay itself gets really old and boring. If you are expecting this game to be anything like what you see on TV, you will be sadly disappointed. I expected a lot more from Activision.

One of the few bright spots about this game is the fact that it definately will scare you at specifiic points in the game, especially if you have surround sound.

I'd either recommend either borrowing or renting this game, or waiting until it comes under $20 if you really want to give it a try. Otherwise, I'd pass on this game all together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and to the point, March 20, 2013
Altecian (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
We all know most of these things but this review is just to cover basics and give you an idea of what you are in for when you rent/purchase this game.
Graphics: 2/5
Simply they are not up to PS3/360 standards, however they are not horrible.

Gameplay: 3/5
The game gets very repetitive you are breaking down in you vehicle at the same 2-3 spots all the time or looking for supplies in the same 2 places through the entire game.

Story: 1.5/5
The story.... well it almost does not exist. There starts being a hint of one developing in the first 10 mins of the game and then it is gone. It is re-mentioned once here and there but not often enough.

Action: 5/5
The action brings this game back, lots of zombies to kill and some good "scares" in the game as well :).

OVER ALL RATING: 3/5
Meaning buy it in a month or so when it is less then 50 dollars ;).

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 19, 2013
If you're a hardcore fan of the show, you might get a couple hours of satisfaction running around stabbing walkers in the face as Daryl Dixon, but anyone who has any idea what to expect out of a modern game will be disappointed. Graphics are just plain bad, and the gameplay is horribly repetitive. There were a couple good ideas here, but none of them were executed well at all. Decent sound design and voice-acting by the actors from the show are pretty much the only strong points of this game.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Magically appearing behind you" Dead, April 11, 2013
I pre-ordered the game due to being a big fan of the Walking Dead comics and TV show. I should have waited. It suffers the curse of yet another thrown together bad game based on a popular TV show or Movie. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular but this was truly a let down. The undead magically appear behind you at random. And if you ever fire a gun, it's like an invisible portal opens up and they just keep on coming. I could understand being overwelmed by the undead if it made sense, but in this game you can't predict when the empty field or building you're in will in less than a second have undead materialize out of nowhere. This cancels out any semblance of a survivalism feel. I recomend you pass on this one and stick to the comics and TV show.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Concept that Falls Short, May 10, 2014
Jason Smith (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I personally love The Walking Dead comics and television show and the Telltale Games game. I had fairly low expectations for this game because the reviews were not good. The story of the game is fine. The big problem that I have with the game is the respawning. You can clear out the enemies on the maps, but then they keep coming back. The difficulty is high, so this is a major detractor. You also cannot save yourself, instead the game makes you replay the level if you start afresh, and otherwise you start back at checkpoints. I only finished a few of the levels before I became very bored with the game. The achievements are a nice aspect of the game, but not enough to make me come back.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Playstation 3
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Playstation 3 by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $18.25