Format: Paperback|Change

on June 25, 2013
I really enjoyed volume 18 and you will too if you are interested in knowing what more Kirkman has up his sleeve. After the gut-wrenching chaos of volume 17, things slow down a bit in this thin volume, but at the same time begin to build new forms of tension. Rick and the survivors continue to evolve as they struggle to survive amidst new forms of evil. Negan takes the role of villain to new heights, and is a continual reminder that they must survive the living as much as the dead. He's ruthless, downright sociopathic, and he poses the greatest threat to the group's survival yet.

You learn more about the characters in this volume as well, who they were before the pandemic and what drives them on. As they face new challenges you'll see new forms of weakness in all of the, as well as new forms of courage as they face new challenges. Let's just say that Carl finds new ways to "man up." This volume is heavily focused on character development, and less on action, which means it's a little slower than some of the others. The group's faith in Rick as a leader reaches new low, and they begin to question his interactions with Negan. There's so much build up in this volume that you'll be left dying to know how it reaches crescendo in Volume 19. I know I am.

I love zombies and thought I'd share another new book I found that's awesome: Cryonic: A Zombie Novel
on July 13, 2013
This is another in a series of collections that suggest Kirkman is in rinse and repeat mode on the Walking Dead. In this latest volume, Rick and his team must contend with the latest self appointed emperor who also happens to be a rotten human being in the form of "Negan." Similarly disturbed and depraved as The Governor himself, Negan humiliates Rick while displaying some odd tendencies and making some curious decisions where Carl is concerned. It's not that overall this collection is weak per se. It's rather that, much of what made the WD original is seeping away, with Kirkman relying on the same plots over and over. It's as if he won't give himself permission to think beyond a formula now. Which is unfortunate. By all means, buy this if you're a WD fan. Just don't expect to be blown away as you previously were 50 or so issues before.
on December 25, 2013
I use my share of foul language, so I'm not a fuddy-duddy. But reading line after line with every other word being a derivative of the f-bomb annoyed the crap out of me. It just wears on your mind like reading a paragraph full of misspelled words. Your eyes gravitate to the attention-grabbing words and you lose focus on the point of the sentence and have to read it again.

The new psycho character is truly a nutbag. He's a bad guy but he's so over-the-top, it's comical. There was a rhyme and reason to the Governor and how he came to be. There's no amount of imagination possible that I could dream up to conjure up how this clown rose to power. He's a mindless bad guy in the same vain of traditional comic-book villains like you'd read in Batman or Ironman.

If you're into The Walking Dead for the "realistic" look into the human psyche, you're going to be disappointed. If you're into The Walking Dead as a fan boy, you'll read this and vehemently defend anything within its pages.
on March 14, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
on March 18, 2015
Negan is a crazy mother. Between the wives,the iron,and Lucille he's worse than the Governor. The only glimpse of humanity is his interaction with Carl.I think he sees a bit of himself in him(God forbid). Rick definitely has some damage control to do. Anybody else see George Clinton(P Funk)as the perfect Ezekiel?
on September 15, 2013
Kirkman & company just keep on delivering!
The tv show, based on the hugely popular comic, pales in comparison to the original comic, which continues to surprise readers and hold your attention with suspense, thrills, shocking gore and emotional drama. While some new characters pop up, the remaining old ones continue to be interesting. Things have come a long way for TWD comic characters and while humans have become the main antagonists in the series in the zombie apocalypse backdrop, the storyline is still way more fun and intense to read in an individual comic issue than a single episode of the tv series.
This collection includes issues #103-108. Negan, Jesus, Ezekial, Carl, Andrea, Michonne, and Rick are battling for survival fight for freedom/control in various ways.
on November 20, 2013
While this rating doesn't go for the entire run of the comic, nor can you read the comic series and skip this volume, I found this part a bit slow. Volume 18 is all set-up for what is to come. It has a fair number of key plot points, but nothing truely exciting happens. That being said, having read 19 already... it's all paid off, in a big way. This book is the calm before a massive storm.
on November 27, 2013
My friend Loves the Walking Dead as do I. This book, the latest in the series, pads out the excellent TV series. You just need to be careful the books don't outstrip the TV programme or the game can be given away.
on June 1, 2015
This is way past where the characters are in the television series and the story arc is different as well. If you're a fan of the television series, you may not want to read this yet as it may spoil the next season or two. But if you're like me and can appreciate both story lines then this is pretty decent and gets you up to the war with the saviors.
on September 9, 2013
I've bought every Walking Dead Vol that's come out and it just keeps getting better! This one is gripping, well paced. The Showdown between Nace and Rick...breathtaking. And it sets up for another one!