Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

‘The Walking Dead, Vol. 20’ by Robert Kirkman is latest release of popular zombie comic series which describe the dystopian world ruled by undead that beside its illustrated version infected the entire planet with excellent TV-series. This compilation consists of TWD issues from 115 to 120, which were all imaginatively and ominously illustrated by masterful drawings made by Charlie Adlard.

As I wrote in the review for the previous installment, no matter how often can be heard objections that TWD pace dropped a bit, this is still a story that we all eagerly follow expecting to see how it finishes or perhaps hoping that there is a chance to take the world back to the state as it was before the zombie outbreak. Some of the TV seasons and comic issues seem like fillers, like the authors ran out of inspiration or are simply reaping the fruits of labor repeating the same proven formula, but then suddenly something happens which shows how Kirkman had an idea from the beginning, and that all things are put together in an interesting mosaic while parts of the puzzle are slowly given to us.

Although it is hard to believe that there is someone who has just now heard of this franchise, or did not knew that TV-series is based on comics, the recommendations for its reading certainly stands as the comics are providing an additional aspect of imagination that the TV-series lacks keeping readers thrilled while taking part in the adventures of the survivors which are in greater danger from the other remaining people, but the zombies.

In its twentieth installment war between the factions is the main theme – the Saviors on one side, while Kingdom, Hilltop and Alexandra Safe-Zone are united on the second, the tide of war is changing and it is uncertain to predict anything…

What makes me particularly happy about this sequel is that unlike some of the earlier installments the elements of additional character development, emotions and good interaction among the protagonists are again present - all the things that marked the start of the series, but later gradually fell in the background. In this installment there will also be some deaths that I will not discover not to spoil the thrill, but it certainly would be surprising to readers who may have forgotten some similar situations in the past when on few pages many important characters disappeared without author’s mercy.

Overall, TWD 20 is another sequel for which many will say that it’s a filler and hardened fans will swear it’s brilliant, but nevertheless we all will read it because it delivers new exciting adventures of human survivors in a dark vision of future.
on March 14, 2016
I've purchased all volumes up to 22 and the TV show has just about caught up to wear I am in the novels. These books are friggen awesome. I don't read much and my buddy lent me VOL 1 after he knew I liked the show. Well, I burned through the first one and then just went on a tear buying 4 volumes at a time...the price is pretty good for what you get out of these. $9-$15 is the range I've paid per novel, I'm not sure why they aren't the same but anyways, I keep buying them none the less. The story was written before the TV Show and the show follows the story but there is some differences. The written story is more violent and graphic then the tv show but the tv show does a decent job of sticking with main ideas. I've noticed that certain plot things that happen in the book also happen in the show but there is a unique twist like a different character it happens to or something like that. Which makes reading these volumes great cuz I have some idea of where the story is going (after having watched all tv episodes) but there are still surprises. If you like the TV show and haven't read these, give it a try and you will get a whole new experience of the Walking Dead story. I'm putting this same review under every volume I've purchased (1-22) so people can see it. go buy these!
While The Walking Dead continues to impress, this particular volume, while keeping with the tone of the rest of the volumes, doesn't necessarily bring anything new or surprising to the table. War has started with Negan, who is a different sort of twisted compared to the Governor, but not so much different that he feels anywhere near as compelling or reviled, despite the fact that he is, in some ways, even more diabolical. There just isn't as much to make this issue emotionally compelling from my perspective, though I suspect that part two of All Out War may have more of a long term impact.
I suppose part of it is the fact that Rick and his close nit friends and family have already been pretty much torn to shreds by all the things they have faced in the past. Despite this being the 'biggest' battle they have faced thus far, it seems more routine given everything that has befallen Rick, Carl, Michonne, and Andrea in the past. Hopefully, part two will provide something new and exciting to latch on to going forward.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 10, 2014
WD Volume 20 is the first half of the storyline titled All Out War. As the title suggests, Volume 20 tells of Rick and his community along with those from the Kingdom and the Hilltop fighting a war against Negan and the Saviors. Volume 20 begins with Rick and his allies confronting Negan at his stronghold. The volume contains a fair amount of action but not as much as I would have guessed given the title of the storyline. One section in the middle feels like filler material. Still, it is an enjoyable read with the beginning and end of the volume being the best. There are a couple twists and turns toward the end which create conflict and provide a nice setup for the final half of All Out War.

As always, Kirkman keeps readers on their toes. Being war, not everyone makes it to the end of the volume. Just when things look up for Rick and his allies, everything begins to crumble. The volume is sure to please WD fans. I like the storyline and can't wait to see how Kirkman finishes it but feel it's about time for WD to move past Negan and begin the next chapter.
on May 13, 2014
I've been reading the Walking Dead for sometime now, having read all the issues up to this one. I found this one to be nothing more than "more of the same".

It is starting to get old. Move the story along, guys!
on July 7, 2014
I started reading the comics after I learned the TV series was based on the comics series. While there are some similarities, the TV series is very different from the comics. This is definitely an adult comics series. It is very graphic, brutal and very realistic to what it would be like trying to survive in a world like that. There's a lot of profanity; which gets on my nerves, but sadly so many ppl feel the need to talk like that; however; the plot keeps me interested and I look past it. Many of our loved ones and friends just wouldn't make it and the comic series realistically reveals this. Not sure if I will look at the TV series the same; but at the same time I would not watch the TV series if it were just like the comics.Why would I buy the comic series if it were the same as the TV series. I am anxiously awaiting the Walking Dead Volume 21: All Out War Part 2 and the other volumes to follow.
on March 22, 2015
Rick really shines. He proves once again that he's a great leader. He organizes,he cares, and knows just when to get brutal. Taking Negan by surprise was genius, but I don't understand why Holly sacrificed herself. Maybe she wants revenge for Abraham or she just wants it all over. Maggie is another standout. She takes the reign of the Hilltop. Ezekiel has suffered some horrible losses, and he's a little unhinged. Hopefully Michonne gets him back in line. Another great volume!
on November 12, 2014
I’ll start this review the same way I started my review of Volume 19—WOW. After a weak stretch post-prison, The Walking Dead is firmly back on track with the Alexandria Safe-Zone/Negan storyline. The battle lines have been set and, as the title suggests, an all-out war starts between Negan’s faction and the Alexandria Safe-Zone and its allies. Don’t let the Part 1 stop you (although at this point Part 2 has been out for a while): Vol. 20 ends on one hell of a climax AND cliffhanger (too often we get the latter without the former).
on July 22, 2014
I have been a fan of TWD comics since early on but have never before done a review. I really like this story arc and really like Negan as a villain. They don’t reinvent the wheel here but TWD remains in my opinion the best ongoing zombie apocalypse fiction out there. The characters remain compelling, the scenario and interactions remain realistic, and the story is woven together competently into something that still leaves me wanting more. If you haven’t caught up yet pull the trigger and order yourself the new books.
on August 26, 2014
ITS ALL OUT WAR.....part 1 Issues 109 - 114 the first half of the war between rick and negan the artwork is pur awesome the story is very well written and its interesting reading the war tactics or each group and the mishaps and casualties of war

why i buy the volumes so the cheapest way to buy the series is the compendium i own compendium one and 2 but compendium 3 isnt out yet so i went back to volumes