1,009 of 1,034 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Yep - Good but not Great
I've been giving the kindle version of the WSJ a try for the last week. I'm also currently a print version subscriber, but not an WSJ Online subscriber. I agree with a previous reviewer that this is a good but not great product. Here's what's good:

- Ready for me to read every morning, and I don't have to go outside to get it.
- Includes articles from...
Published on December 14, 2007 by M. Yergin

1,501 of 1,541 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Price doesn't make sense
First of all, having the WSJ delivered when I am at home or on the road is a great feature. I like the Kindle Edition enough to want to keep it.

However, I have to agree with others here that say the pricing makes absolutely no sense:

$99/year for the WSJ print edition with the Online Web edition included.

$119.88/year ($9.99/month) for...
Published on May 14, 2008 by Stephen

1,501 of 1,541 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Price doesn't make sense, May 14, 2008
Stephen "grown up kid" (Aurora, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)

$99/year for the WSJ print edition with the Online Web edition included.

$119.88/year ($9.99/month) for the Kindle edition just doesn't make sense. Especially since the Kindle edition has fewer features, and almost none of the Pictures.

So apparently the extra $20/year is for Whispernet delivery. That makes no sense because I could buy the Web edition and read it through the Kindle Browser for no additional charge.

Amazon, the pricing on this makes no sense. Either get the WSJ people to include the Web edition in the price tag, or lower the price $30 or so per year. Less content for a greater price is simply not a good deal.

1,009 of 1,034 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Yep - Good but not Great, December 14, 2007
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)

- Ready for me to read every morning, and I don't have to go outside to get it.
- Includes articles from the Online version at the end. I've not seen anyone comment on this. This is nice, and allows news that breaks after the paper goes to press to be added to the download.
- Easier to read (no fighting with the paper itself)
- Hands stay clean
- Searchable
- At $120 per year, this is a good value vs. the print version at $250 per year. And I don't think comparisons to the cost of WSJ online are valid. The kindle version can go with you and be read anywhere, just like the paper version. The online version cannot.
- No ads

Here's what I need to see to call it great (are you reading this WSJ?):

- The What's News section. NO IDEA why this is not included now. Makes no sense. No pictures - that I understand. But why the What's News section is not included is beyond me.
- I want every article to have a small lead-in after the headline like what is included with the articles found on page one of every section. This gives me some idea of what the article is about because the article headline is not always descriptive enough. Even if you just give me the first sentence... With the paper version you can quickly scan the the first few sentences to see if this is an article of interest. Can't do this with the way the current kindle version of the paper is produced.
- I do miss the the pictures, althought the famous WSJ line drawing head shots are included. Would like to see some pictures eventually.

Ultimately, I think I will convert to the kindle edition. If some of my wish list items above are added, it will be a no-brainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Price increase kills it!, May 23, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
It was really nice to have the WSJ delivered electronically to my Kindle, but the recent price increase to $14.99 a month really kills the concept.
The original price was $9.99 per month, or $120 per year...a slight premium to the $103 you would pay for the online version. It was worth it at that price for the convenience of having it on the Kindle. With the recent price increase of 50% to $14.99 per month, or $180 per year, it really is not worth it. I also can't imagine what their justification is for charging a 75% premium for the Kindle version. Finally, it seems rather predatory of them to initially price it at $9.99 and then increase it to $14.99 after getting a bunch of people to spend the money for the device...we are now a captive audience and it seems they are going to extract whatever they can from us. Don't buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars $14.99? Bye-bye WSJ Kindle Edition...., May 23, 2009
A. Jacobs (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I've owned the Kindle 2 for a couple of months now and have been a subscriber to the WSJ Kindle edition since I got the device - I let my print+online subscription lapse and was glad to stop throwing a paper newspaper into the recycling bin every day. At $9.99/month, I was already paying a bit more for the Kindle subscription than my $110 print+online subscription had cost me, but it didn't seem too bad: a little less content, a little more convenience, basically a wash. I'm unhappy in principle with the DRM (and would never, ever buy a Kindle book from Amazon for that reason alone) but in the case of a newspaper subscription it's barely tolerable; again, the physical equivalent of the paper would be going into the trash at the end of the day anyway.

A sudden price increase of FIFTY PERCENT for an unchanged product, however, seems unjustified to me. Obviously the cost of delivering the WSJ to the Kindle hasn't just gone up $5/month. I'm sure this is just playing around with the demand curve, but in my case it's pretty elastic. I can read the WSJ at work - it's a little less convenient than browsing it on my Kindle in the subway, but not $5/month less convenient. Accordingly, I will be canceling in two renewal periods when the price for existing customers goes up, unless Amazon/WSJ retract this increase and keep the existing price.

What with this, and the sudden increase of wireless document delivery from 10 cents per document to 15 cents per rounded-up megabyte (a huge increase if you send large documents!) I'm liking my Kindle a lot less nowadays (and no longer recommending it enthusiastically to everyone I meet). The reasonable 10cents/document fee and the relatively reasonable $9.95/month WSJ subscription fee were major factors in my purchasing the Kindle. I doubt I would have bought it two months ago if the WSJ had been $15 or the per document fee had been 15 cents/megabyte. I don't like Amazon changing the terms so radically now that I'm locked in to an expensive device. I know they reserve the right to, but I don't have to like it, and - since I'll be canceling my WSJ subscription and using Calibre to convert my documents from now on - Amazon will be making less money from me as a direct result. Perhaps a lot less; I was excited about the Kindle DX, but this experience has more or less ensured that I'll be waiting for Plastic Logic or another native PDF reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars Price increase incredibly disappointing, May 23, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
The availability of the WSJ was the original impetus that pushed me to purchase a Kindle 2. Although it was slightly more expensive than I was currently paying for a subscription, the appeal of not having papers pile up on the driveway while I was traveling and having constant access seemed worth the extra price. Now the 50% increase in price has me feeling taken advantage of and wishing I had never even purchased my Kindle. What's next - NYT best sellers at $29.99? Very disappointing move, Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars $14.99? Consider WSJ Cancelled!, May 23, 2009
R. Thompson (Marietta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I thought long and hard about the WSJ before ordering.. What we are getting barely justifies the $9.99 price. Now they want $14.99.. I am done. CANCELED!

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer worth it...., May 23, 2009
r0b0d0c (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
This was marginally worth $10/month (since online FULL access subscription was ALREADY cheaper!), ONLY because of the automatic daily download to my Kindle (my wife disagreed that it was worth it even then!). But now escalating the subscription price by 50% means I'll be canceling at the end of this month's run (and many other previous subscribers, it appears), and resume reading it online.

Dumb move Amazon - you're still trying to entice your customers to buy Kindles, and a big selling point Mr. Bezos made was the WSJ subscription. Dumb move.

1.0 out of 5 stars Raising Prices w/ No Added Value - What a Crock!!!!, May 22, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I knew this edition was very sub par to the print and online edition with the exclusion of charts, graphs, and other material but the kindle convenience made it worthwhile. Now WSJ wants to raise their price (most expensive of all e-papers) without improving or adding content. WHAT A CROCK! Is it possible to give them zero stars? I'll certainly be canceling my subscription now.

1.0 out of 5 stars 50% price increase?? Can you say cancel, May 23, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
The Wall Street Journal Kindle edition has been a great alternative to the physical paper and I find it much easier to read when compared to the online version. However, I don't understand the price increase. The decision to raise prices (during a recession by the way) by 50% to $15/month makes the Kindle version more costly than getting a physical newspaper (not exactly helpful in transitioning subscribers to a new technology).

Raising prices is a critical error in my opinion. Whispernet delivery for a digital copy of the Wall Street Journal costs significantly less than the physical costs associated with printing presses, newsprint, delivery, and labor costs, and yet the price is higher? Also, given that Kindle newspaper subscriptions are still in a high growth phase, quantity or subscription growth should be far more important to Amazon and the newspaper companies than any pricing leverage.

End result: I will cancel and subscribe to the Financial Times instead for $9.99/month.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great convenince, but not worth $15 when print plus online is cheaper, May 23, 2009
Bob (San Marcos, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed the convenience of whispernet delivery, but a 50% increase for an unimproved product is absurd. I can get a mail subscription PLUS online access cheaper. The whispernet delivery does not justify paying a higher price for an inferior version of the product.

The Wall Street Journal