1,022 of 1,048 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Yep - Good but not Great
I've been giving the kindle version of the WSJ a try for the last week. I'm also currently a print version subscriber, but not an WSJ Online subscriber. I agree with a previous reviewer that this is a good but not great product. Here's what's good:

- Ready for me to read every morning, and I don't have to go outside to get it.
- Includes articles from...
Published on December 14, 2007 by M. Yergin

1,518 of 1,559 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Price doesn't make sense
First of all, having the WSJ delivered when I am at home or on the road is a great feature. I like the Kindle Edition enough to want to keep it.

However, I have to agree with others here that say the pricing makes absolutely no sense:

$99/year for the WSJ print edition with the Online Web edition included.

$119.88/year ($9.99/month) for...
Published on May 14, 2008 by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 359 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously overpriced compared to print edition, May 22, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I've been very happy with the content, although I felt like at $9.99 the price was too high. Kindle books are generally a good bit cheaper than the printed counterpart, but anyone can get the WSJ print edition delivered to their door for $99. So at $120 a year for an electonic edition that costs far less to produce, this has never been a great deal.

Now, with a 50% price increase, it doesn't make sense. Anyone likely to read the Wall Street Journal is likely to have enough financial acumen to figure out this is not the way to do it. I'll be canceling my subscription as soon as the price increase kicks in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two weeks subscribed and an increase!? Canceled., May 22, 2009
KW (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
After a couple of weeks subscribing in good faith at 9.99 I see it will now be 14.99!?

Regrettably I'll be canceling something I really enjoyed(albeit too briefly#. Did the DX not get the reaction they were hoping for or just better heads didn't prevail??? If newspapers are looking toward Amazon and the kindle to help save the print industry...they better look elsewhere. Poor job. I hope this increase (for new subscribers and current alike) gets lots of attention.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Lack of Online Access is B-A-D!, February 13, 2008
RU (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I am literally just off the phone with WSJ's Customer Service department and I have to offer this warning to everyone:

You do NOT get online access to the WSJ content, which means that you have no way of doing the things that you might like to do with your Kindle content, such as print or show to a friend or reference in another part of your life (ie a presentation).

Further, the CSR told me that the content on the Kindle is the ONLINE content. To which I said, "Great! Then please let me see the content online, as well!"

Sorry, that is not how it works.

The delivery mechanism is fantastic on the Kindle; I love reading the WSJ on my way to work everyday. Love it.

However, this completely fails in that the access is not the same across the board and that I do not have an option for online content as well. Someone mentioned an additional fee--and I'd be willing to spring for that, as well, but it should not be double.

Until WSJ and Amazon can come to terms with this type of an issue, the end users are the ones who will get cheated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the increased price of $14.99/month, May 22, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
The WSJ Kindle edition was reasonable at $9.99 a month, however a 50% increase to $14.99/month really doesn't make sense for Kindle 2 owners. The timing of this price increase may have to do with the pending release of the Kindle DX. Old subscribers are granted 2 extra subscription period for $9.99/month, I hope that Amazon or Dow Jones comes to their senses before that and reduces the price of a monthly subscription, or I will cancel and simply subscribe to the online/print edition or perhaps the Financial Times (which is still $9.99/month at the time of this writing).

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, worth it over the paper edition, December 17, 2010
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I was initially put off by some of the critical reviews here, but ended up trying the Kindle edition out when I had problems with my home delivery. I'm glad I did. The Kindle edition is well worth it.

Corrections to old info in earlier reviews:
- Pictures and graphics are included
- What's news is included

Pros:
- The text is clear and easy to read, and there is easy navigation through the articles and back to the section headings.
- It has all the paper and on-line articles, with accompanying pictures and graphics
- I don't have to have an internet connection to read it
- No ink smudges on my hands, towels, etc.
- As I start to need reading glasses, I can just increase the font size
- I can start reading my paper without getting out of bed
- I don't have to worry about missing the paper when there's bad weather or the delivery person doesn't make it for whatever reason
- I can get it when traveling, and read it on a plane without encroaching on my seat-mate's personal space
- The cost is half the regular paper subscription price (currently $363)
- I can clip articles on the Kindle, and transfer them to my computer for future reference (correction)

Cons:
- There are sometimes a few glitches in articles such as missing graphics or captions on photos
- Some articles (esp. Technology and Asia sections) get repeated in multiple editions. Since there are no datelines with the articles, that sometimes gets a bit confusing
- The price is a lot more than the special paper subscription price often offered
- (deleted con about not being able to save articles for future reference, see correction above)

Neutral/Mixed:
- The Kindle edition has the New York content rather than regional content. While it's amusing to see the goings on in the Hamptons, I'd prefer to get the same content I had in the paper edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars $14.99 a month, a $5 ( 50%) a month increase is just plain taking advantage of Kindle Owners, May 24, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
The Print/Online edition is less money. For what good reason?

Aside front the pricing, regardless of whether Amazon or the WSJ raised the price 50% it just feels lousy that once you purchase a Kindle you are locked into what ever Amazon decides.

DRM
Pricing
Terms of Use

One can purchase a decent laptop for 400-600, so why Kindles are $359 and Dx going even higher is absurd.

Kindle 1 owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like the pictures on WSJ Kindle, December 4, 2007
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I especially like the WSJ pictures on the Kindle because each is like an artist's hand drawn sketch. I know a picture is coming because the article it's embedded in stops before the end of the page (because there is not enough room for the picture). Then when I press the "next" button the picture appears with a continuation of the article text after it. That breaks up the reading flow in a pleasant, natural way.

I read both New York Times and WSJ on my Kindle. The Kindle has the same organizational menu system regardless of the newspaper-- the section menu shows all the sections of the paper on one screen and the number of articles in each section. Clicking on a section shows the title of each article in that section. It's efficient and simple to quickly pick the best articles of the day in the WSJ and read them thoroughly. When I'm interrupted, for example when switching from a train to a subway, I put the Kindle in screen saver mode. When I can read again, I simply turn off the screen saver and the Kindle shows the same WSJ page I was reading before-- this makes it easy to read articles all the way from beginning to end. I prefer reading WSJ on the Kindle than reading the paper version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Price Increase is Unjustified, June 15, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
While is was convenient to have the WSJ delivered to my Kindle, there is no way I am going to pay $15 per month. This was a sneaky move by Amazon to do this. I did not receive any notice of the price increase. I noticed it in my credit card bill. I hesitated to purchase at $10 per month.

2.0 out of 5 stars cancelled and comments after a year, August 31, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
I too just canceled after the price went up to 14.99-- a 50% increase.

I've subscribed to the wsj via the kindle for over a year now with these comments:

1. being able to read outside in sunlight was great, and it solved the problem of the wind blowing my print edition around.

2. The kindle version is crippled compared to the print edition as very few photos and graphs are included. They made it better some number of months ago, but it still lags considerably.

3. Both the print and online editions are richer in content--with the online VASTLY richer with more articles. However, I do not like reading on the computer screen, so the kindle made sense.

4. being able to search the wsj for keywords on the kindle was great.

5. I really enjoyed not having the piles of paper around the house.

6. The pricing didn't make sense at 9.99 (but it was tolerable), and now it makes less sense at 14.99 which brings it over the cost of the print version. How can something sent wirelessly cost more than actually printing and having someone drive it to my house each day?

In my opinion, Amazon is really dropping the ball with their Kindle vision. It's a great vision and a compelling device, but the content is still too crippled and expensive. The WSJ is an example. I recently bought a kindle book which was only $1 cheaper than Amazon's new hardcopy price (and more expensive than a used book). The Kindle version did not include any of the images that the print version of the book contained (and they were black and white images!).

I'm just about finished with this Kindle experiment and am moving back to print for most everything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon does a bait and switch!, May 23, 2009
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
If you purchased the Kindle to get a reduced rate on the WSJ, like I did in part, you will be very disappointed to learn that they just raised the rate from $9.99 to $14.99. Since AMAZON sets the rate for all subscriptions, this seems to me to be a potential pattern for all their Kindle-version subscriptions. I have to wonder if book prices will be next!

‹ Previous | 1 2 359 | Next ›