5.0 out of 5 stars Every American should be required to read this book!!!
This is a very enlightening book. It is so sad but it also makes me very angry. Our soldiers are treated so terrible when they come home. No one should be treated this way, much less those that have served our country so bravely in such terrible situations!
Published on February 12, 2009 by C. Bratten

2.0 out of 5 stars THE WAR COMES HOME: WASHINGTON'S BATTLE AGAINST AMERICA'S VETERANS
THE WAR COMES HOME: WASHINGTON'S BATTLE AGAINST AMERICA'S VETERANS
AARON GLANTZ
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA PRESS, 2010
HARDCOVER, $17.95, 288 PAGES

In a new book entitled THE WAR COMES HOME: WASHINGTON'S BATTLE AGAINST AMERICA'S VETERANS is an expose of the treatment that both Afghanistan and Iraq veterans have found since coming home from their...
Published on April 11, 2011 by Robert A. Lynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Every American should be required to read this book!!!, February 12, 2009
EVERY AMERICAN SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO READ THIS BOOK!!! It makes me want to protest like we did during the Vietnam war. At least the country saw what was really going on in that war. Please read this book, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here We Go Again!, June 28, 2009
As a Vietnam veteran and Yogi Barra fan, these wars are "deja vu all over again." Aaron Glantz is a true journalist, a man who tells the truth about war, all sides and all people. What we're fed on the network news, talk radio and local news are jingoistic quips and fear-mongering that compete for ratings and entertainment value. And from our politicians, we get illusion--now you see support for veterans, now you don't. Glantz's documentation and internet references are worth many times more than the cost of the book and his stories and conclusions are priceless. An essential read for any American.

5.0 out of 5 stars The War Comes Home, March 26, 2009
Excellent, Gripping and Informative discussion of the shocking indifferences and bureaucracies to obtaining benefits for our returning Veterans. I was so moved by the author's honest revealing of his own struggles after returning from the field of action. This is a must read if you or someone you know has returned from duty in the Middle East. This is a whole new arena of warfare and we need to address the issues raised in this book. This book offers documented real life examples of the physical and mental injuries many of these veterans face. And how they struggle to deal with them, while facing the bureauracy. Thank you Aaron Glantz for helping my son on this journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, February 5, 2009
I couldn't put this book down. I took it everywhere. The stories were amazing and I cried with every single one of them. Aaron you're an amazing writer! So much of this hit very close to home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iraq Veteran, April 18, 2011
This review is from: The War Comes Home: Washington's Battle against America's Veterans (Paperback)
I served in active duty from 2004-2009. During my five years in the active duty army, I served a year and a half in Iraq as apart of the Iraq Surge. Before I went to Iraq in april 2007, I prayed to God, "If I come back alive, let me be an influence". And God surely answered my prayers, because for 15 months, I learned so much about war. I came back and was misdiagnos for my ptsd. My chain of command "supposingly" had alot to do, so thats why alot of troops were denied the opportunity to gain counselors assistance. After 3 months back in america, misconducts began to rise and i feel into the mix. My stellar performance was swept aside and a year after returning to america, I was given the boot with an "less than honorable".

Anyways, I type the above paragraph in order to state, this book isnt just phenominal, its a "relationship". At first, I was like nonchalant because journalist usually have no ideal what they speak about; however, mr. glantz has been overseas and the majority of the things he writes, are so accurate. for example: page 218, 3rd paragraph, describes a almost normal day in Iraq. The soldiers stories are on point and they've proven "ptsd is a match which starts a forest fire." He even suffered with PTSD upon returning from Iraq, which was a spark for him to jott down notes which turned into this fantastic book. I recommend this book for ALL (especially those who are suicide survivors, victims of the VA hyporcrisy, and most of all, "veterans"). TRIPLE PLANTINUM!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to the back of the bus!, August 3, 2010
A simple review. For bankers, politicians, media elites, and those well connected and involved in bringing misery upon us all, no matter how criminal, it's "Right this way"... to the front of the line and a big fat bonus. To those who fall for the jingoistic lies and propaganda, no matter how broken their minds and bodies, its a hearty "Get to the back of the bus. We never knew ya!".

5.0 out of 5 stars Vietnam Vet, August 29, 2010
I am so gratified that the real version of what veterans go through when they seek the help that they were promised is as available as reading this book. Like the author, I would like to see ALL of our citizens with magnetic ribbons on their vehicles claiming to support our troops, actually becoming active in helping veterans get the care that they have been promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The War Comes Home, September 13, 2011
Penetrating. Riveting. Engaging. Compelling. Maddening. Glantz's book is all of this and more.

Everyone who cheered the deployment of our troops for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan owe it to those same troops to read this book. Many of the men and women in uniform who left with our support and good will return to a government (and nation) that has forgotten them.

Many of our veterans suffer finanicially, physically and emotionally. Government benefits to which they are entitled (benefits they have more than earned) are often delayed for months or are even denied to them.

Many feel betrayed by the very system that courted them, accepted their enlistment, and sent them off to war. After their time is served the system no longer has a use for them.

Aaron Glantz has provided our veterans and the entire country a wonderful and needed service with The War Comes Home. We need know the second war our young people are having to face once they come back to their homeland - the war to be treated as human beings and receive what is their just and appropriate due.

Buy and read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars the answer's I've been looking for!, November 21, 2010
This book is my favorite of Aaron Glantz works! Through this book I've learned what to expect from the VA and how to deal with and also where to find community resources in case I dont get the help I need. I am so thankful for this book and I've introduced everyone I know to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just how deeply does America care about its veterans?, December 15, 2012
I am a totally disabled veteran, now aging into the stage of requiring constant visits to the VA hospitals for medical care. I see the Iraq and Afghanistan vets, but have little actual interchange with them, as they've been assigned their own system within a system. So, reading this book was almost as much of a shock to me as it would be to an outsider. And it is a terrible shock. While I suffer from months long waits for appointments at times, and sometimes feel rushed during the short times allotted with doctors, I do get appointments, and I do get excellent care. I may have to wait a couple of hours in line for some things, eventually the lines move, and I get there. To read about the current generation of vets and the often shoddy treatment they get is horrifying. To read about the ones who are denied care, under-rated for their terrible, life-altering injuries that receive no consideration by rating boards and appeal boards, the impenetrable barriers erected against them with callous disregard for their injuries and abilities to navigate the labyrinthine requirements to even file for benefits is a betrayal of our obligations to these grievously wounded warriors. Frankly, the book made me cry, sick to my stomach. And the politicians want to cut, or even eliminate these benefits? (Politicians who have never faced IEDs or enemy fire.)
There has been no upwelling of outrage, no display of foaming rage such as we're seeing now that military-style guns might be taken away from casual civilians. Other than veterans families and organizations of veterans protests, there is no outcry at all. It seems no one not directly connected to a soldier or a veteran even cares. All the lapel flags and patriotic rhetoric on holidays doesn't seem to transfer to actual pressure on a hostile Congress to loosen their grip on funds to fix the broken VA medical system or provide for these broken veterans. These men and women are being punished for offering their lives. Help them, America. They have been ignored. They have been betrayed.

The War Comes Home: Washington's Battle against America's Veterans
The War Comes Home: Washington's Battle against America's Veterans by Aaron Glantz (Paperback - March 1, 2010)
$26.95 $23.68