5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Underrated Comedy
Published on July 20, 2008 by D.P.

1.0 out of 5 stars dumb and not funny
I have a hard time understanding how anyone could rate this above a one. The comedy is just stupid and the comedic timing is awful - full of awkward pauses, very fake laugh tracks. I gave it a shot and watched two full episodes hoping it would get better but it didn't. They were right to cancel this show.
Published 12 months ago by D. Myerscough

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Underrated Comedy, July 20, 2008
D.P. (California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
This was without a doubt a highly underrated comedy series....but unfortunally, it was so underrated & overlooked that after having it change timeslots various times during the two season that the show was eventually cancelled & I highly doubt that there will be a season 2 DVD set so this is all that we're going to get of this show. This show is about two middle aged adults with teenagers trying to raise them up while dealing with real life situations. This isn't like the other television shows of this nature as this one takes on the issues dead on using dark comedy & takes on real life issues going on in today's society regarding teenagers & adults not only through real life but also through confessionals (ala "Real World"), flashbacks, and flash-fowards. From interracial dating & the race issues involved with it, cyber sex, drugs & alcohol, cosmetic surgery, teenage sex, punishing your kids, the male ego, homosexuality & more. With Dave & Vicky being middleaged parents with their own adult problems along with their kids in Larry who's parents think he's gay & his best friend/neighbor Kenny who actually is gay with a crush on Larry; Hillary the typical sexy teenage daughter who's more into dating than school; Mike is the youngest who's about video games & hormones whenever he's not trying to hustle/blackmail his dad;...it's just got the formula for a good comedy & this show is just that. With DVD extras being deleted scenes & confessionals from the cast & crew (right in the same humor as the actual episodes)...I recommend to pick this up as this is probably the last trace of this underrated TV show that you'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greats, December 2, 2011
Spencer (Fort Smith, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
This show is one of the best shows Fox has done. It seems like Fox treats the good shows like they are red-headed step children and lets the garbage stay on the air forever. I will never understand why they do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, but ..., April 12, 2007
T. Ross (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
With 2 kids now in their 20s, I have pretty much lived this show in one form or the other. Dave's dry humor and honesty are great. Show's also not afraid to take on issues - teen homosexuality, daughter losing her virginity, etc. Doesn't get overly serious (like Scrubs is starting to do), but gives us a serious insight into controversial issues, while making us laugh at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, April 25, 2011
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
This is one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. Can't believe there were only 2 seasons!!! Great entertainment value. Highly recommend if you like to laugh!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious comedy, March 18, 2011
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
this is a hilarious show its funny all the time wish the second season was on dvd sadly it is not

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, July 14, 2010
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
DVD arrived very quickly and I am satisfied with my purchase. It's a shame the show was cancelled only after 2 seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious Gold, November 2, 2011
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
This is one of the few shows Fox had that should never of been canceled. I really hope season 2 gets released as well, shame it's not still on the air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly underrated, August 11, 2011
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
I remember skipping this when it originally aired because I just figured it was some kind of Titus knock off and I never liked Titus to begin with. I can say that I haven't laughed this hard watching a DVD in I can't remember how long. The Gold's are also somewhat unique you do not see a nuclear family on television much anymore. I'm always up for a good excuse to break the 4th wall. I cannot see this show continuing until 2011 but it deserved more then the two seasons it got. If Fox were to release the 2nd season on DVD I know I would buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING show BUT!, August 31, 2009
L. Bardes "llblair65" (Lebanon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
I love this show i have watched it since the first episode and i thought it would be on the air for a lot longer then two seasons

This is an amazing show and if you like funny shows you will like it but before you buy it here look around a bit i mean it is like 24 or 26 dollars here. Now i own this season and i bought it at BIG LOTS for 3 DOLLARS BRAND NEW!!!!! so don't buy it here unless you can't find it anywhere else that is cheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars The war at home, May 25, 2008
This review is from: The War at Home: Season 1 (DVD)
I Love this show. My husband and I would practically fall off the couch laughing when we watched this show. We would consider this one of the best shows we have ever watched. It is so true to life and very realistic. We were confused as to why Fox would cancel this show and keep all the other crappy shows on air that no one watched. What a huge mistake. I wish another network would pick this show up. I am anxiously waiting on Season 2.

The War at Home: Season 1
The War at Home: Season 1 by Various (DVD - 2007)
$26.98 $6.57