5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection of war time kindness
Published on March 28, 2000 by Blue Roses

3.0 out of 5 stars Filled in the gaps
The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the history of the Salvation Army and the hardships they helped to alleviate for the soldiers in WWII It was a moderate read.
Published 12 months ago by reader1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful collection of war time kindness, March 28, 2000
Blue Roses "padelrath" (Rockies, United States) - See all my reviews
This book was commissioned by the Salvation Army to declare the deeds of the brave women who went to help those who did not have the comforts of home. While at times this book was campy in nature and clearly of a direct leaning towards the Salvation Army it also contained many accounts of hard work and perserverance in the face of great physical and mental hardship. The women did everything they could to encourage the young soldiers to act as true heroes. They did things from making donuts to creating a place where soldiers could come as a refuge from the ravages of war. This book helped me to feel more supportive towards those who serve in the armed forces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really loved it!, November 9, 2011
Lena Bowers "Lena L. Bowers" (Columbus, Mississippi, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
The War Romance of the Salvation Army All I can say is that I enjoyed this book, but then I do so love all of Grace Livingston Hill's books, & collect as many as I can & re-read them over from time to time. She has some good stories, with an inspirational point in each book. Her stories show characters that can & do live a SAVED life & the struggles they face that can help all of us to take courage from. So try not only this book but others that she has in print. I know there are well over 100 of them that she has written. I see this book has a new authors named added to Grace L. Hill's but it is the same book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The War Romance of The Salvation Army, June 15, 2012
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
I got this book and couldn't put it down. For two to three weeks I would mention this book to anyone who would listen. I even called up some WW2 veterans and asked them about the Salvation Army. The ones who would talk to me praised the Salvation Army. I even loaned my IPad to a friend so she could read the book. I was amazed that the army would work hand in hand with the Salvation Army back then and now you can't even mention Jesus Christ if your in uniform. This is a fantastic book that ALL Christians should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, April 18, 2012
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
Thrilling! This book, was comissioned by Evangeline Booth the Commander of the Salvation Army in the US, to tell the story of the SA during World War 1. It recounts the inspiring stories of many Dounut Girls and Salvation "Lassies" who stayed with their 'boys' on the front lines, not for vanity, as many girls would today, but because of the Spirit of God in them, that gave them a pure, and true love for these rough and lonely soldiers. It tells the stories of many brave men as well, but as a young woman, the stories of the strength and dignity of the lassies, and the way that those character traits brought out the finest, noblest qualities in the soldiers thrills my heart and gives me a vision for truly radiant womanhood. And I couldn't write a truly good review, without remarking on the beauty of the writing. I am a long time Grace Livingston Hill fan, and she has not disappointed in this book, though it is more of a biography of the Salvation Army, than the fiction that she normally deals in. Her eye for detail, and her talent for description, often make me forget that I am reading a historical account, instead of an action novel. In all, this is a beautiful, instructive, book that you won't want to miss, and I pray that it touches your heartstrings as it has mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable., January 27, 2014
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
I am a long time fan of Grace Livingston Hill. This is as good a read in today's world as it was when it was written. Glad to see more of her books becoming available for free on kindle. I have almost 100 of her 113 books. Waiting eagerly for more of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars The War Romance of the Salvation Army, January 23, 2014
J H "Grammy" (Estacada Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
The War Romance of the Salvation Army I gave this 5 stars because it is so thrilling to me to read about the unselfish and dangerous work The Salvation Army did to help and encourage our troops during World War 1. No matter the era we live in we should all do our part to show appreciation to the men and women serving our country. Because of them we can continue to enjoy the Freedom we have in our Great Nation "America"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Filled in the gaps, December 9, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, December 14, 2014
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book, by beloved romance novelist Grace Livingston Hill, as I have been a fan since I first discovered her in the early 1970's. As a voracious reader, I devoured every book in our library by her and was thrilled to find that someone had spent hundreds of hours, retyping her books into e-book format. Such a thrill to re-read all her old books and be introduced to some that we're new to me, as well! Although this book had some interesting information (now, all past history ) of the S.A., it was just that...a historical record, not the romance-novel sounding book I thought it to be. In that sense, it was a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars The War Romance of the Salvation Army, June 3, 2014
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
I'm a christian and it was interesting reading how the Salvation Army worked during war time, which I though was great that they were able to minister to them and also preach the gospel to them. However, it was too much of pretty much the same thing and I just couldn't finish reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very informative reading, April 29, 2014
This review is from: The War Romance of the Salvation Army (Kindle Edition)
The catchy title caught my eye first, then as I read the book, I was more than surprised to find out how much the Salvation Army participated in WWI, especially the American women! Unarmed they served so close to the front line of fire in Europe, it just had to be their faith in God to take care of them. The reader is drawn into an amazing and well written story of courage and faith.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›