5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly engaging and entertaining!
I purchased Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain with the expectation that is was merely a choose-your-own-adventure with maybe a few new tricks. I was very surprised by how fun and engaging the game actually turned out to be. This is a lot more involved than making a decision and flipping to page 132 to learn your fate.

There are real elements...
Published on February 23, 2011 by S33K3R

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the "random" dice...!!
Published on May 11, 2011 by Sandman

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly engaging and entertaining!, February 23, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)

There are real elements of an actual dungeon crawl in Fighting Fantasy. Not only do you have combat with single and multiple opponents, but there is the risk of encountering wandering monsters especially if you're shuffling about looking for hidden doors and traps. You can choose to accept your randomly rolled character, or assign points to different attributes. I've gone back and started from the beginning with a new character, and have adjusted the attributes to match my playing style. It's a nice touch and character generation, as short and simple as it is, actually does matter in how you play the game.

My initial strategy was to try and make it to the end as quick as possible. I found out that the quickest path is definitely not the best path because you end up missing items (you'll have to discover those yourself) that you'll need as you go deeper into the caverns. Nor does it necessarily pay to tarry - there be monsters here.

Because of the random elements involved, you're never sure how things are going to turn out. Combat with monsters can go either way - nothing is a sure thing. Luck rolls can influence the outcome but, fortunately, won't make or break you. The rolls for random encounters and sleeping creatures make you want to tiptoe through the dungeons, but sometimes you simply can't.

Sometimes it appears that the path forward is an impossible one. Fighting Fantasy actually forces you to think things out and to plan. Charging into fights without thought, much like reality, is a sure way of shortening your life.

The one piece of advice that I'll pass on is that not every encounter necessarily leads to violence. If you insist on whipping out the sword at every encounter you'll soon be just another set of bones strewn about the cavern floors. Stay alert and keep your sword handy, but there are other travelers and denizens of the caverns that, like you, are just trying to get by and may end up actually helping you on your quest. If it looks like a monster and smells like a monster, then it probably is one. Any other encounter - you may want to stay that sword arm.

The way through the caverns is treacherous. Our hero, though skilled with the sword and favored with a certain amount of luck, must often depend on his/her wits (in other words, YOUR wits) to survive. Unfortunately, bad decisions are sometimes made and our hero dies a gruesome death. If you are careful about how you save your waypoints, you don't have to start at the beginning of the game when your hero is slain, but will be able to pick up the game at one of the three available saved waypoints. This is a great feature, as crawling through the caverns is very involved and starting over after a death would drastically shorten the playability of the game.

One other tidbit that may or may not matter depending on your personal preference:
The game has a mapping tool as part of the program to help you keep track of where you are, and it's a very good capability. But I found it useful to make my own map and annotations as I went along as well as to keep track of my stats and the items that I was carrying. I know it's not necessary at all as it's all part of the game and the information is readily available, but keeping track of my character myself was something that enhanced the enjoyment of the game. I didn't want to keep having to refer to the Kindle map, as it takes a few seconds for it to load and display. Again, purely a personal preference thing.

In short, Fighting Fantasy is a fun and engaging game. It's well worth the few bucks that it costs, and I think it has a much higher replay value than the normal choose-your-own-adventure. If you enjoy dungeon crawls, you'll have fun with this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant conversion of a classic game book, February 12, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
I haven't been interested in Kindle games because I bought the Kindle for books (after all, I have a computer and various gaming devices for games). But this really is a book at its heart, so it's perfect for the Kindle.

Ages ago when I was a kid, both Choose Your Own Adventure books and role-playing games were popular. So someone (Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone) decided to combine the two into "Fighting Fantasy". This was the first title in the series and the conversion done is just excellent.

There have been electronic versions before. But this is notable because it essentially just reproduces the book. The text, the illustrations are all the same. Just instead of going to page X, it does it for you, along with everything else - combat, inventory, your stats.

The map in particular is very nice well done. Combat is just like the original, only it rolls the dice for you. I suspect a lot of people would cheat while playing the original book, sadly that is not an option here. They do give you a different way of rolling dice, instead of just having it roll 2 dice, it will roll 6, showing you the results. You can then pick re-roll, which will roll half of them at random. Then it picks 2 of the 6 dice at random. Basically it's a very convoluted way of giving you a little bit (though not much) control over the dice.

The story itself is pretty much just simple dungeon crawl. You must explore the dungeon of the Warlock of the title and steal his treasure. The stories actually got better in later books, but this is about as basic a dungeon crawl as it gets. Fun, though, really captures the childhood memories well. You can rarely go back, but this is one of those cases where you almost can.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware the "random" dice...!!, May 11, 2011
Sandman (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
I'm a HUGE fan of the original Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. My friend and I stumbled across them for the first time way back when we were browsing a mall book store. The one that sounded the coolest to us was the third in the series, "Forest of Doom". We both bought a copy and set to playing as soon as we could. From that moment I made it my goal to one day own the entire series. Unfortunately, they stopped publishing them here in the States. Over the years, I've managed to find one here or there in used book stores, but there were always a few that eluded me. Now, with the internet and sites like Amazon and eBay I've finally been able to find all the rest of that initial run. I also recently found out that the authors of those books, Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson, have been writing even more of them over the last several years which means my quest has begun anew...but that's another story.

I was so shocked and excited when I found out that the first (and second) of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks had been made for the Kindle. I bought both of them immediately. I couldn't wait to relive those adventures (I've still got all the books I had, I just had been putting off playing them for some time)! Playing them with the Kindle rolling my dice and keeping track of my inventory plus the amazingly cool new feature where it draws out a map of my adventure sounded like a blast! I sat down, got comfortable and started my quest. After working my way about a quarter of the way through Firetop Mountain, a very suspicious and unhappy trend began to manifest itself. The dice rolls, while random, were nearly 100% of the time against me and favored my opponents. I have since played through literally two dozen battles or so, many repeats of previous battles that didn't go well due to the dice rolls, and nothing's changed. There is only one conclusion I can come up with...the dice roll feature may be random, but the odds are definitely against you. Out of the over two dozen or so battles I've fought in the game so far, I've won a total of maybe half or less and had to do a few repeatedly. Some I have yet to win. For example, say my opponent gets a roll of 10 to add to his skill of 10 making a total of 20. I then have to roll 12 or better (better being completely impossible with only two dice, but the game indicates "12+"). I can either do a quick toss where the game will roll two "random" dice or I can do a full toss where the game will toss all six dice and then I have the option of either having it pick two of those at "random" or reroll. You can reroll only once. So...I have to roll a 12. I choose to do the full toss so that perhaps the odds are better (logical, right?). The dice "roll" and I get two 1's, two 3's, one 4, and one 6. NO possible way to get the 12 needed. So, I reroll. I end up with two 1's, one 2, one 3, and two 4's. Or, I might get four 6's, one 2, and one 4. It picks the 2 and the 4. This is typical for the "random" dice rolls. Then of course you have a situation where your opponent has a skill so high that nearly half the time you cannot roll anything high enough to actually hit him. Oh, what fun!!

The gamebooks are still a ton of fun and they haven't lost their appeal over the nearly 30 years since their debut, but a word of warning to anyone who purchases these on Kindle...make sure you definitely DON'T accept the game's "random" stats given to you at the beginning. Be sure and choose to allocate the points yourself and give yourself a higher skill score!! Otherwise, you might find yourself stressed and frustrated rather than having an enjoyable adventure to pass the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun choose your own adventure/RPG, February 11, 2011
Levi Prinzing (Northfield, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
This is a choose your own adventure style book with light role playing elements. At certain points you need to roll dice to fight monsters or use luck to get out of situations. It is set in your basic Tolkien setting with goblins and other such creatures. I loved these book as a kid. Having them in a digital format without the need for dice and paper is quite awesome. I hope they release more books in the Fighting Fantasy series. I will probably be drawn in to buying them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Warlock of Firetop Mountain [Kindle Edition], March 3, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
For those of you, like me, who are die-hard Fighting Fantasy book players from the early 80s, I think you'll love this.

It is a superb Kindle conversion of the first (and, in my opinion, the greatest) of the Fighting Fantasy gamebook range pioneered by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. Everything you remember about the book is here, except it's now in digital form. The original illustrations have been reproduced, and the whole visual design of the book is in tandom with the print version.

Unique to this edition is a dedicated visual style for the combat system - the books never had combat sheets, but you'll find them here on the Kindle. There are actually two ways of rolling the dice. I'm still trying to suss out the benefits of the other method which involves randomly selecting two dice from a set of six and rolling those instead. For those of you who don't want to think maths, the combat sheet tells you exactly how much you need to roll with each attack round to cause damage on your foe.

There is a slight addition to the character creation method. You can either go with the random dice rolls, or you can choose to start with the Initial scores for your attributes and then assign six extra points as you see fit. This also gives you the opportunity to choose your starting Potion, otherwise you will start with a Potion of Fortune.

The Adventure sheet works well and looks great (press "A" to bring it up) and the map is created automatically and looks great too (press "M" for that). Safe "Waypoints" are dotted around the map. When you reach them you are given the opportunity to eat some provisions and save your progress. You have three available Waypoint save slots.

But the best (or possibly worst?) thing about this new electronic version is that you cannot cheat! It is active content, so the back button is disabled. This can actually catch you out - if you are given a number of opportunities (say, after a fight which you've won), select everything you need in the order listed on the page. Otherwise you may find yourself back out in the passage with no way to go back and pick up those 25 gold coins!

This is essential for any Fighting Fantasy gamer who owns a Kindle. No, it isn't the same as using the books, the pleasure of flicking the pages, keeping your thumb in place in case you make a wrong decision, rolling physical dice. But take a punt - this is FF in the 21st Century!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly entertaining, well-designed game, February 16, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
The Fighting Fantasy gamebooks have been revered by U.K. gamers for a long time now, and this game software does an excellent job of making the first of these available to Kindle users in an automated setup that streamlines all the choices and die-rolling into a series of discrete choices to be made by the player. It also supports game saving, which somewhat lessens the purity of the idea, but is more in line with how many players would have played the game using a physical book. The game program even contains many illustrations to help the player to imagine the situations presented. The only real drawback is that the Kindle interface is a bit slow, sometimes requiring several seconds to flip to the next page.

This is highly recommended for fans of old-school fantasy and old-school fantasy role-playing games.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun Until the End, July 31, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
I remember the old choose your own adventure books, and I always enjoyed the fighting fantasy and Lone Wolf books as well. One nice thing about those books is if you did make a mistake or a wrong turn, you could go back and correct it. Unfortunately with this, you have no idea until halfway through that of three decisions, you only get to make one despite the opportunity to do otherwise. For instance, a room with some bodies to search and a barrel, but no enemies, leads me to believe if I looked at the bodies first I could just look at the barrel after. Nope, one and only one.

After those hiccups though the descriptions are fun and I found the dice to be pretty random and fair. The save points are nice as well, and it really felt like an old school dungeon delve fun for a solid 45 minutes. Unfortunately I only got 2/3 of the items at the end so my character simple sat down and cried knowing he had to go back in, except I couldn't go explore the one or two paths I neglected, I would have to start over, something I have no intention of doing since I succeeded in everything except for finding one single key. Hopefully in future installments there will be a little more effort in multiple endings that are at least a little satisfying, or a more free form nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting Fantasy at its best!!, March 14, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
After downloading Warlock of Firetop Mountain to my kindle I was amazed at the job Worldweaver have done with it. Absolutely brilliant!!! The extras also add a new element to the whole experience, generated maps are great expecially for this book! This really is a credit to the Fighting Fantasy series and will certainly purchase any more they release.

5.0 out of 5 stars D&D meets Novel = Great fun!, February 14, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
Growing up as a child I used to spend Saturday mornings with my friends playing pen and paper D&D. I also read most of the "choose your own adventure book" series. Strangely, I wasn't even aware of the Fighting Fanasy series of books. It really is a cross between the two and is great fun! It seems like these books were really made for the Kindle, even though the Kindle appeared 20 years later...

This book really brings me back... If they make more I'll be buying the whole series for the Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE PLEASE, March 8, 2011
This review is from: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Kindle Edition)
I would love to have more RPG type games for my Kindle. I found this fun and worth the cash.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain