5.0 out of 5 stars The Post is very nice on the Kindle
Published on February 27, 2008 by Buz Kindling

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing what makes the paper a paper
I just got my Kindle over the weekend as a gift and was delighted that I could read the local paper -- the Washington Post-- on it. However, after a few days of trying, I'm pretty confident that I will not be subscribing to the Kindle version of the Post. Why?

Published on July 15, 2008 by Benn Tannenbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars The Post is very nice on the Kindle, February 27, 2008
Buz Kindling (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
After purchasing two single issues (just to get used to the layout of the newspaper and how to navigate the sections and articles), I ended up subscribing. I haven't subscribed to a newspaper in many years, so I wasn't sure how much I would read it, but the Post now seems to be my primary reason for even having a Kindle. I read it every chance I get throughout the day, and I love the clean organization of the sections and articles. It's very easy to glance at the beginning of each article and skip the ones that don't interest me. I don't live in DC, so I rarely look at the "Metro" or "Obituaries" sections. I mainly focus on the "A Section" and "Editorial" articles (plus maybe a few articles from "Business", "Sports", "Style", and "Food"), and so far, I haven't missed having pictures, and I certainly don't miss the ads and other junk that typically clutters up "real" newspapers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Washington Post on my Kindle...Brilliant, November 23, 2007
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
I like the Post but was uncertain wha it'd be like on my Kindle. It's a dream. as it turns out, I may enjoy my Kindle as a newspaper/newsdelivery device/service as much or more than I do for reading books. I don't live in DC and I don't particularly like getting covered in newsprint. The Post is easy to scan, skim and navigate on the Kindle and icludes none of the mess or fuss of the local paper...and is cheaper!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing what makes the paper a paper, July 15, 2008
Benn Tannenbaum (Rockville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)

1) It's not a real replacement for the paper. I miss the letters to the editor, the editorial cartoons, the comics pages, the crossword puzzle et al, and even the box scores so I can check on the hapless Cincinnati Reds.

2) While I'm generally delighted not to have any advertising, I do miss the classified ads. Also, sometimes, I do look at the ads if a sale is on.

3) No Sunday inserts, including coupons!

4) No pictures whatsoever. Sure, pictures are high-bandwidth, but they are an important part of how we communicate information.

5) Price. The paper is more expensive than a home delivery but is missing all the features I list above....

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Ex-Washingtonians, January 24, 2008
Craig J. Poff (Beaufort, South Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
HI-

I subscribe, in print, to the Wall Street Journal and NY Times, at a combined $61ish per month (the lion's share of that being the Times), and on Kindle I can get the Journal, NY Times AND The Washington Post (yes, I love newspapers...)for a combined $34ish. Thats just over half the cost, with the BONUS of getting the Post.

I was afraid that the Post content would be limited, highlights only, or non full-text, but I have compared the Kindle editions to the full graphic display at PressDisplay.com and you are getting basically 100% of the printed content. Yes, no ads (Washingtonians miss their local ads), no or few photos, no classifieds (I do like to follow DC real estate prices) and no comics, but all the text is there. Monday mornings, I want to read about the Redskins anyway, not read the Comics.

At lunch yesterday, for instance, I had the pleasure, here in SC, of reading The Washington Post, reviewed David Broder's take on our pending SC Primary, read two articles on the Capitals-turnaround and got the latest on our new Nationals Stadium. I was off line, the unit was booksize, so no computer, and when done, no paper to take to a landfill or recycle.

All in all, a more than acceptable trade off, and its delivered wirelessly before I get up--no computer involved.

I was born and raised in DC----in 7 or 8 more years, we will move back, but in the meantime, thank you, Kindle!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee and the Post, December 7, 2007
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
I am lucky enough to have a Kindle and receive the Post on a trial basis. Of course, the Kindle is a miracle and now I have a quality, easy to manage newspaper delivered to my Kindle in time for my early rising and that first cup of coffee. What a miracle of ease and function! The Post is easy to navigate on the Kindle and it will now be my paper of choice. The price is right for quality news reporting. I can barely remember life without my Kindle and I have only had it for a week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now actually reading the paper, July 4, 2008
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to the paper edition of the Washington Post for many, many years. But several years ago I finally decided to stop delivery. I just found that the paper generally found its way to the recycle pile without having had much more than a glance at the headlines on the front page and a maybe few of the sections.

When I got my Kindle earlier this year I took advantage of the 14 day free trial and have been a happy subscriber ever since. It is very convenient to read in many situations where reading the print edition would be awkward or inappropriate. I find scanning the articles much easier to do on the Kindle than the paper edition.

My new morning routine involves quickly scanning the article list for each section and if it looks interesting I open the article and then bookmark it. Then throughout the day when opportunities arrive, I can go back and read the bookmarked articles. The only drawback with that is that all the bookmarks are named "next article".

I didn't realize how attached I had gotten to my Washington Post e-delivery until I was in an area without Whispernet access and missed a few days.

A few additional things that I would like to see: a few photos would be nice, the weather section (I enjoy looking at the worldwide highs/lows and forecasts), the Sunday Book section best seller lists (I think most Kindle owners are into books), and what can I say, the one section I used to read most frequently, the comics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, March 8, 2008
Jennifer "MedWonk" (Alexandria, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
The convenience of not having to go to the driveway in the rain or rummage through inky pages has converted me to a more faithful reader who makes it to the end of each article.
I hope that photos and the weather will soon be included. I also wish I could leave the kindle off for a day but still get the paper for that day the next time I log on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 6, 2007
Zero Point (Studio City, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
Solid version of The Post. Just the stories and facts in an easy-to-navigate format -- without all the paper, messy ink and ads.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needs more content from the paper, December 23, 2008
R. S. Winsor (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
This is a pretty good improvement over the online version of the paper in some aspects, but not others. They really only need to fix a couple issues to make this a really good subscription. This is not a Kindle issue: it is a Washington Post issue.
One, there is no weather included. Why not?
Two, there are no sports statistics. Why not?
Three, there is little in the line of things like movie or DVD releases, music releases, all which seem like they could be summarized in a page.
It seems like they could make just a few more pages to fix these issues and then I would like it much more. It's just not quite a complete paper until some of these other content issues are resolved. These are somewhat minor issues, but I would find the subscription price more worthwhile if they included such content.
Otherwise, this is a nice way to read the paper!
I love reading the paper on the Kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the Washington Post on Kindle?, September 11, 2010
J. Poling (VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) (Kindle Edition)
I have been receiving a kindle subscription to the Washington Post for well over a year and recently I have been really disppointed with the quality of the material I am receiving each day. There are far too many typos to count and the spacing between words is often non-existent. The errors are really interfering with my enjoyment in reading this newspaper on my kindle. I also receive the Wall Street Journal on my kindle and this paper is tranmitted perfectly, so obviously the fault lies with the Washington Post. Unfortunately, if there isn't improvement I will have to cancel my subscription.

The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free)
The Washington Post for Kindle (Ad-Free) by The Washington Post Company