Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 30, 2011
I was sad that this story didn't draw me in. My emotions and thoughts were surface level only. I can't blame it on the writing but I am thinking that maybe I have read one too many books with Nephilim/angels. The writing is detailed and that is what I like. However, in some parts of the story I felt that some of the transitions from one scene to the next were not smooth. I found myself halfway through and losing interest because of lack of action or romance at that point. I feel that the book got a little redundant at times and dragged in some places. It didn't hold my attention and I would put it aside and read something else. I did come back to it hoping to get some connection to the characters.

There was a lot of inner monologue on Ana's part but that is to be expected since she is the one reawakening to her old life. She has to figure things out and get memories back. Every time Ana would want to get close to Athen he would tell her to wait. There really was no explanation for this. This family that Ana was so happy to have wasn't very forthcoming with the info and I found myself getting frustrated. I would have liked to see some more chemistry between Athen and Ana.

Even though I wasn't engulfed with emotion for this book it had a good story line with an interesting take on angels. The explanation of dark demon v. white demon is one that I have not read before and found that to be the best part of the book for me. The ending was where I finally got interested. It had the emotion and action that I waited the whole book to see. The ending should lead nicely into the second book. If you like books that have angels as characters then you may choose to read this book. It wasn't for me but it may just be something for you.
*I received a copy for an honest review
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Author
Reviewer: Heather

Awakening is the first part of The Watcher's Trilogy where we meet a young woman named Ana. She works as a waitress in a resort town, but has no knowledge of her past accept a handful of newspaper clippings. Ana is frequented with disturbing nightmares that haunt her, no, torment her to no end. She knows not why these dreams occur until Athen enters into her life.

Athen, nor his family, are what they seem to be, and Ana quickly learns that she is a part of their world: the underworld. Athen has been searching for his lost soul-mate, Ana, since the demons erased her memory back in the 40's. Our main character struggles with this new-found knowledge that shakes her very core, and sends her into the realization that her nightmares are a reality. However, she is surrounded by love, friendship and most of all a family that would die for her. But can Ana learn to be a white demon again before it's too late? Will the Awakening process work, thus reuniting Athen and Ana again?

I'll be honest here folks. I wasn't entirely sure about this book when I realized it was about demons/Fallen Angels, and an intricate force of good versus evil with a race that is supposed to be punished by God. These characters - Ana, Athen and the rest - are the children of Angels that fell in love with human women. As punishment God forbid entry to heaven to the Angels that fell as well as their children, but what made the story unique was that not all the angels or children are evil.

This doesn't stop the race of white demons from doing good deeds, and helping to guide the human race to live their lives righteously. When the black demons/Nephilim interfere or try to cause turmoil, the white demons are there to do what they can to defeat them. It is just an entirely new side for me in literature; however, it was an incredible story.

Karice Bolton didn't leave a stone unturned or question unanswered. She backed up every part of her story's world, crossed the T's and dotted the I's. Every part of the story was perfect, engaging and addicting. Once I started I couldn't put it down, and when I was done reading I found myself purchasing the next book in the series. I've only braked to write up this review, and then guess what? I'll be jumping into the next book.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2012
Ana lives a lonely life. She only has one friend and no family to speak of. One night while working in the pub, a group of mysterious strangers turn her world upside down and what she finds is everything she has ever dreamed of, but at what cost?
This book really took me by surprise. I was not sure how much I would like it, but it turned out to be so much better than I had imagined!

The Family

I loved the fact that Ana had finally gotten the family that she deserved. I really enjoyed the times when all four of them were together, but, I would have to say that my favorite would be Arie. She kind of reminded me of Alice from Twilight. The sweet but knowledgable sister type that is everybody's friend. Except the bad guy.

The Romance

The romance was fairly quick to start and then it seemed to come to an abrupt halt. Ana and Athen had met quickly and were in each others arms fairly quickly, but, the romance basically went no further until almost the end of the book. I LOVED IT!!! The anticipation build up was perfect and actually kept me not wanting to put the book down.

Matilda

Okay, so I will admit it. Matilda was the only reason that I was interested in reading this book. Well, the paranormal aspect was good too..LOL I love bulldogs and as many of you know, I have recently lost mine, so, when I saw this book. I just had to read it. Matilda only plays a small role in the story, but it was enough for me to get my bulldog fix.

The Storyline

I enjoy anything paranormal and a story about angels and demons is perfect. The suspense that is given through Ana's dreams really kept me thrown off at wondering what is real and what was simply just a dream. I thought it was an interesting take on angels with Ana's "reawakening" into herself and her new family explaining her old life to her. I very much enjoyed Ana's flashbacks/memories.

Final thoughts

I really enjoyed this book much more than I had expected. I am looking forward to reading the next one in the trilogy, Legions. The ending had me in tears and I am patiently waiting to see what happens next. Keep on the lookout for the review coming soon!
on March 10, 2012
First off, I have to say if I was a 13 year old girl I would probably given this book a higher rating. It really wasn't 'bad' and I may be unfairly biased having read it immediately after reading 2 incredible books in a row. But, here it goes:

I started out interested in where this story was going, but by the time the author reached what I assume were supposed to be climax moments in the story, it fell flat - the buildup just didn't match the reward. Some of the dialogue between characters seemed pretty juvenile, It really felt more like a bunch of teens hanging out together than a family of other-worldly centuries-old beings. That being said, if I had a teenage niece I might recommend this book to her. If you are over the age of 25 I suspect you will be mildly disappointed.
on March 4, 2013
I loved Awakening. At first, I thought it was going to be a Twilight copycat. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was nothing like Twilight, which is a good thing. Awakening is about a woman named Ana. She works at Grizzly Pub as a waitress. One night, Athen and his family come into the pub. She is immediately attracted to them but can’t figure out why. The plot was great. It kept me turning pages until the very end. I was definitely surprised by what Athen and his family revealed to Ana. It was interesting to watch Ana’s journey to getting her memories back. I fell in love with Athen, Cyril, and Arie. By the end of the book, I wanted them to be my family. I really liked Arie. She was always very positive, no matter how bad the situation she was in. The ending shocked me. I was devastated. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series and find out what happens to Anna and her newfound family.
on March 26, 2012
The book wasn't bad but it felt trite and overdone. It was the same plain girl meets mysterious man/family and completely transforms. I completely disliked the whole falling in love immediately and it was absolutely annoying the way that Athen was so perfect. No man is ever that perfect and it made him feel completely flat and unreal. If anything I liked the secondary characters better than Ana and Athen. There was way to much time spent on Ana needing to complete the transition I felt like the entire book was just waiting for that to happen and there were to many scenes of just them shopping. I'm all for the scene that has downtime to show the characters without stress but I felt that was the whole book. It felt like the characters were supposing to be driving the story but Ana was whiny and Athen apologized alot for things that weren't even his fault. At the end it definitely picked up and I would consider getting the sequel but so far I haven't been convinced.
on March 19, 2012
I used to not want to admit that I read YA fiction sometimes. It's books like this though that remind me why I like these books so much. It didn't take a long time to read, and it was entertaining. A lot of the time that is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't want to put this book down. I downloaded the second book and am anxious to read it.

I did not notice any of the editing problems I saw mentioned in other reviews so either I just wasn't paying good enough attention or the author has done some updating.

As of the date I'm writing this review (3/19/12) the book is still a kindle free download so if the plot sounds interesting to you then you should definitely give it a shot.

*re-posted from goodreads.com
on August 30, 2013
I absolutely love this book. So exiting and realistic!
Karice Bolton captured the beautiful side of magic with so many twists in this fantastic novel about love, fun, and the good and evil sides of magic and demons.
on February 19, 2013
I love stories about angels and demons, the angle seems a lot more likely than vampires and werewolves.
This story is well written, and easy to get into.
A very clean story line, so don't get your hops up about finding tid-bits of smutt, because this book ain't got it. But if you read for the story factor, this book has got it in spades.
There is also a 99 Cent prequel novella called "Taken (A Watchers Novella) (The Watchers Trilogy)" That you may want to consider reading prior. I didn't but I wish I had.
on March 26, 2012
It's about a girl, Ana. She tries to build a new life after losing her parents. She lives in a Colorado apt. with her bulldog and works evenings at a snow resort restaurant.
She has nightmares that haunt her and they all seem so real. She can't remember anything about her parents and it bothers her. She meets Athen at the restaurant one night & falls for him. .Ana feels like she already knows him (deja vu) She discovers that Athen (and his sister and sister's boyfriend) are from the underworld. They, (as well as Ana) are fallen angels. Ana's past life begins to resurface and she struggles with what is reality, with her nightmares and the revelations about her past life. She finds she has supernatural gifts & realizes that the nightmares she's been having might be premonitions and not dreams at all. Being a fallen angel, she must keep watch and protect people on earth from the demons. The ending is a cliffhanger.
The plot is very intricate. Great backstory about paranormal. Complex, suspenseful .. Great imagery. Loved the book... couldn't put it down.