on May 10, 2006
I'd give six stars for this book if it were possible. We couldn't turn the pages quickly enough. Indeed, The Way of the Wilderking, may, perhaps, be Jonathon Rogers' best yet. Our family has loved all three of the books -- "The Bark of the Bog Owl," "Secret of the Swamp King," and now "The Way of the Wilderking." The creativity within the storytelling, the ongoing antics and sayings of Dobro, the poignant scene of redemption, the element of revealed mystery/history, the battle scenes, and the hysterically funny chapter of when Dobro goes to his first theater kept a constant call for "Read more!" We can't recommend this trilogy highly enough. For the past couple of years, "The Bark of the Bog Owl" has been the birthday gift we've given to our kids' friends, and now we're continuing each subsequent year by adding the sequels. We just wish there would be a fourth so we can see how Aidan does as king. But if you're contemplating buying "The Way of the Wilderking"...buy it!
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2006
Jonathan Rogers has created a literary world that I don't particularly want to visit - it's pretty much swamp and full of creepy crawlies, snakes and gators.

But I loved reading about his world, and I would kind of like to swing through the trees - Feechie style.

The series also sparked the desire to get my own Feechie. Though I don't know that we'd let it live in the house, it would be great to hang out with.

I recommend this series to adults as well as older children (eightish and up) of both genders.

Omniscient point of view makes sure we aren't in the dark regarding any of the characters. This engaging tale of war and integrity, and loyalty and brotherhood is inspired by the early life of King David.

Mr. Rogers (the author - not of the neighborhood fame) must believe that children are intelligent and creative and clever because he has written a series peppered with subtle humor that challenges vocabulary skills, and the world's view of how we are supposed to live.

Lovers of Narnia and the Princess Bride should eat this up like rotten lizard eggs.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Way of the Wilderking begins when a reluctant 18-year-old Aidan is called to be the legendary Wilderking. Fearing for his father, brothers, and all innocent people under the rule of the jealous king Darrow, Aidan is forced to fight and lead an army of miscreants and Feechiefolk. To everyone's astonishment, Aidan, who has not denied loyalty to King Darrow and Prince Keren, instead leads his army against the threat of Pyrthens.

By Jonathan Rogers, The Way of the Wilderking is the third book in the Wilderking Trilogy. To fully understand the many aspects of this story, read the first book, The Bark of the Bog Owl, and the second, The Secret of the Swamp King. This hardbound book has 25 chapters and 225 pages. The story is fun and humorous, but also quite adventurous.

The Way of the Wilderking is great for 10- to 14-year-olds who don't mind convenient plot twists. Reading this book will inspire you to become the person God created you to be--even if you feel unqualified. - Estee Wells, Christian Book [..]
on July 6, 2006
Every night I read to my three oldest children and wife and everyone looks forward to the occasion. Reading the Wilderking series was a fun and light hearted time. While we have read more exciting books this was one of the more enjoyable ones due to Dobro and his people. The author did a good job adding some twists to the story as well since it is modeled after the life of King David. All in all a fun read and one where we will use the word "feechie" in our family for years to come.
on November 24, 2007
When fear of God has left the land,
To be replaced by fear of man;
When Corenwalders free and true
Enslave themselves and others too,
When mercy and justice disappear,
When life is cheap and gold is dear,
When freedom's flame has burned to ember
And Corenwalders can't remember
What are truths and what are lies,
Then will the Wilderking arise.
~from The Wilderking Chant

Corenwald is in trouble. Six years have passed since Aidan first went to Tambluff in service of King Darrow. Those six years have not been kind to the king. He's grown increasingly paranoid and he's made bad moves. Prince Steren has served his father well, soothing and advising him, but now even he is losing influence and the country appears to be in real danger because of the king's foolish behavior.

And yet, The Way of the Wilderking, the final book in the Wilderking Trilogy, is not a dark and depressing book. In fact, it opens with a hilarious scene and the comedy, much like the Energizer Bunny, keeps going and going and going. I thought these books couldn't get any funnier. After all, how many funny feechie feasts, feechie sings, and feechie contests can one swamp produce?

Ha! I forgot the old saying, "You can take the feechie out of the swamp but you can't take the swamp out of the feechie." Fortunately for feechie fans everywhere, Dr. Rogers thought to take the feechie out of the swamp. What do you get when mix Dobro Turtlebane with a civilizer city? One disaster following another, in finest feechie fashion.

Rogers, as anyone would expect, does a fine job with the writing in this book. The prose is great, the scenes are well painted, and the descriptions are clear. As he did with The Secret of the Swamp King, the author once again weaves in a bit of a mystery for his readers. The difference is that in The Secret of the Swamp King, the mystery, when solved, brought some heartache, while in this final book the solving of the mystery brings Rogers' account of Corenwalder history to a satisfying and happy conclusion.

There are some hard things on the way to that happy conclusion, though. There is war, for one thing, and with war comes death. The role thrust upon Aidan is also a hard thing--a heavy burden. There are some deep lessons in this book, too--forgiveness, sacrificial love, reconciliation, humility, obedience, fighting against a false humility--all of these things were touched upon. They weren't dwelt upon, I think they could have been brought a little more to the fore even, but they were there in the lives of the characters as they went about the business of the story.

Altogether a great read. I have to give it five stars. I can't imagine giving that gallant and goofy Dobro anything less than five stars for his wonderful performance in this book. I would love to quote several of his lines for you--there are so many to choose from. He is not only funny, he is sweet and chivalrous and adorable in so many ways. (Stinky, too, of course, but that goes without saying.) I won't quote, him, though. I don't want to spoil the fun for you so I'll leave you to catch his show for yourself. He is unforgettable--truly one of the greatest characters every created.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The third installment of "The Wilderking Trilogy"! When I saw it at the Family Restoration/Homeschooling Today booth of the Christian Home Edeucators Fellowship Conference in St. Charles, MO, I could not wait but just had to buy it then and there. We had already read the first two books of the series, The Bark of the Bog Owl and The Secret of the Swamp King, and really, really enjoyed them. In this conclusion to the story, Aiden Errollson (whose life is modeled on King David of the Bible) has fled to the Feechiefen Swamp after King Darrow tried to kill him, but when three years pass, Darrow sends his army into the Feechiefen to seek him out, so Aiden leaves the swamp, only to find out that his family and friends have been outlawed by Darrow and are hiding out in the clay caves of Sinking Caverns. As more and more people flee to the caves to escape Darrow's madness, Aiden trains them into a mighty army to fight, not against Darrow but against the enemy Pyrthens who are planning another invasion. There is some sadness in the book, but it has a glorious ending. If your children (and/or you) like fantasy novels that are Biblically based and illustrate godly principles, with a touch of Georgia swamp lore, you will love these books. We did! And we highly recommend them.
on April 28, 2012
My sister gave me the first book in this series when my son was just a baby. He's seven now and reading this series has become our special "bed-time story" ritual.
This is the third book of the trilogy, and I was as excited as my son when it arrived. These books loosely follow the plot of the young David of the Bible. The author unashamedly reveres the One God. The boys in the book act and react like real boys, whether they are wrestling in the mud, or climbing trees, or running from the guards.
The final book of the trilogy wraps up the stories of the main characters very nicely and gives hints towards how their lives will play out in the future.
"The Wilderking" trilogy is a welcome addition to our home library and will take its place on the shelf next to the Chronicles of Narnia.
on January 25, 2008
Well done series. All three books are strong. Character development is good. Likeable, sympathetic characters.

Read these out loud with my 9 yo and the teenagers who thought they were too old for that; but their music was shut-off and magazine pages stopped turning the first night and after that just joined us. ;)

I would recommend for 9 and up to read on their own. We just chose to read them together.
on October 28, 2009
This trilogy is a wonderful combination of King David, as a youth, and Tom Sawyer. It has unexpected twists and turns. It is wonderfully captivating with a setting that is similar to the U.S. south, including plants, animals and reptiles. This series demonstrates that character counts. It also shows that decisions an individual makes today can have an impact on the life he/she lives in the future.
on January 11, 2014
Why oh WHY are these amazing books out of print? My Narnia-loving daughter has read these over and over from our local church library - the level of creativity and beauty is reminiscent of Lewis and Tolkien.
Please tell me our country has not sunk too low to recognize and admire this wonderful author and his work. Jonathan Rogers, please keep writing!
All three are great.