5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy anthology
Published on December 6, 2010 by Book Master

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing magic
I loved the first story by George RR Martin, then the compilation went downhill. I wondered if the stories by my favourite authors (such as Ursula Le Guin) were early attempts, unpublished until now due to lack of maturity or underdeveloped skill? Some highlights, too many disappointments, compounded by typos (Kindle OCR errors maybe?).
Published on June 17, 2012 by sorbet

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fantasy anthology, December 6, 2010
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Paperback)
I love this book. I have read George Martin's "In the Lost Lands", Susanne Clarke, John R. Fultz and David Barr Kirtley stories so far. All are excellent. David Barr Kirtley's "Family Tree" feels more like an excerpt from a novel. The ending left me somewhat disappointed. Overall the book managed to completely avoid Harry Potter knockoffs and concentrated instead on sense of wonder, magic lands and fairy tale atmosphere, at least in the stories I read so far. Would have been nice to have Patrick Rothfuss, Michael Shea and James P. Blaylock in this one, but this is just IMHO.
Thanks for the great book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Collection, January 24, 2013
Steven Woodcock "Ferretman" (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Paperback)
A solid collection of fantasy stories centered (loosely) on Wizards.

Sometimes the ties are *definitely* loose....I'm not really sure that if I'd been the editor I would have put stories like "Card Sharp" (about a man with a deck of magical cards) or "The Wizards of Perfil" (in all honestly not quite sure WHAT that one's about) in the collection, but that's the great thing about collections like this. If you don't like a story, just skip to the next one!

There are some extremely excellent gems in here--Neil Gaiman's "How to Sell the Ponti Bridge" is superb, and Zimmerman-Bradley's "Secret of the Blue Star (while a repeat from another series) more than balance out the handful of duds. And of course as always with a collection of this nature, one reader's dud is the next reader's gem.

Recommended for any fan of the fantasy short story.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing magic, June 17, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mix, November 13, 2011
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Paperback)
Got this for one story by one author (I know, possible overkill, but the Johannes Cabal books are really that good.) Read the rest because they were fantastic - so many weird, delightful stories on the same theme! It's an excellent compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Collection of Innovative Stories, April 28, 2014
Pat Gallagher (Colorado Springs, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Kindle Edition)
I'm not much into fantasy vs sci-fi, but this book of stories really captured my imagination. From the story of the runaway boy who became a wizard's apprentice (and learned to turn himself into a fox and clean the stubborn rooms through reading books) to the man who learned that his modern reality was really false, I was captivated. There was only one story in the whole huge anthology that I skipped over--and I will not say which one, because some readers may like it.

All in all, a very well done collection of excellent stories. I do recommend it, even for hard-core sci-fi readers such as myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Way of the Wizard, August 17, 2013
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Kindle Edition)
Good short stories. A variety of settings and types of wizards. Easy reading and interesting stories. Awesome book at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars ood mix Snappy writing, March 20, 2013
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Kindle Edition)
Very good mix of new stories and old and tragic and frivilous and genuine good writing in a enjoyable dip-in and out collectioon

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but the editor? sheesh, May 7, 2014
Literary Elf "Liz" (South Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Paperback)
I'll overlook the typos. I'll overlook the mediocre quality of many of the stories, largely because the volume contains a story by Jonathan L. Howard, creator of Johannes Cabal (a necromancer of some little infamy). (The story is actually about Cabal, and since I would cheerfully read Herr Cabal's grocery list, it was a must.)

However, I would like to get my hands around the neck of the person who told John Joseph Adams that he is a good editor--let alone a good writer. His introductions are wordy, often irrelevant or misleading, and occasionally either sexist or racist. I might have enjoyed the book much more if it had been edited by someone else.

I'd say just buy it for Howard's story, enjoy as many of the others as you can, ignore the rest, and whatever you do, don't read Adams' introductions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, December 6, 2012
This review is from: The Way of the Wizard (Kindle Edition)
Fresh ideas, excellent authors. Recommended for those who enjoy si/fi, fantasy, or just reading something you never thought about before.

The Way of the Wizard