Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: HardcoverChange

VINE VOICEon October 14, 2008
I am a nurse and also a student currently working on my masters. During the course of my degree I have of course had to learn anatomy (body structures) and physiology (body functions). The one thing that I have always had issue with was the way even my very expensive books for school seemed to lack in any really good illustrations. I am a visual learner and I really appreciate the clarity of a good illustration.

What David Macaulay has done here with this book "The way WE work" is to look at the body from the viewpoint of an engineer and illustrator. Mr Macaulay is the mastermind of the very popular The way things work. He has brought those skills to the human body. I appreciate the very clear and thoughtful way he portrays different body components and how they all work together and eventually quit working.

I recommend this book to anyone who is a visual learner or needs to really have a unique perspective for a project. This book is great for any grade school student to any college student. It will probably not replace your need to get the expensive A&P books, however. It will augment your current library though and that in itself is wonderful.

Highly recommended!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2008
I flipped through this book today with intentions of buying it for my 7 year old son. He is a huge fan of David Macaulay, and has thoroughly enjoyed The Way Things Work. I did not, however, purchase the book because of the last chapter on reproduction. This will be a great tool for kids who are ready for that particular lesson in life, however my 7 year old is not quite ready. The cross-section sketch of a penis inserted in the vagina as well as the page on the sperm's journey entitled "Winner Takes All!" is just a bit too much information for the younger child. We will be waiting a couple of years before purchasing this beautiful and informative book.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2008
As a fan of David Macaulay's The Way Things Work book and videos, I was expecting better from this book.

The content is presented in good depth. Compared to many other kid-friendly books on human body, this book's approach of understanding the funtions of the systems and organ starting from celluar level (and molecular level) is very helpful to any kid who is curious to understand the "why"s of human physiology. Unfortunately, the explanations are often short-changed.

Macaulay's previous book had much better illustrations that assisted explanation. This book's illustrations often touch only tangential topics, missing the crux of the topic that most needed an illustration to aid the explanation. I am sorry to say that illustrations seem to be chosen for the ease of the illustrator, and where complexity really needed an illustation for better explanation, the book instead relies on verbose exaplanations, that are often insufficient. The language is often not kid-friendly - the expected target audience.

I find the book useful to arouse interest in human anatomy and physiology, and to frame the content to cater to the inquisiveness of a "why" kid who otherwise finds human anatomy and physiology less than intriguing. It needs to be used in combination with other books/websites/videos that contain better explanations of the matter.

The book comes across as a good first attempt, but a rushed job. I wish Macaulay would revise this book soon, or even better, supplement with multimedia illustrations or videos.
on November 2, 2008
The anticipation for this book made me want to buy it right away, and I pre-ordered it on amazon. It arrived and I was super enthused about the cover, and the size of this book. However, once you open it the images fade a bit in impressiveness. The writing, research, metaphors used by Macaulay are very original and the organization of the book from microscopic to traveling around the body effective. However, the information fades with the dubious pencil colorings of the book. Compared to the contrast that the cover offers, the inside illustrations have soft, sometimes difficult to discern images. I was really buying the book for the illustrations, and I have to say that in the end they didn't completely impress me.
on March 23, 2013
Author David Macaulay's previous book, "The Way Things Work" is fantastic. It's illustrations are very well done, precise, attractive and information is easily absorbed.

"The Way We Work" however is not of the same caliber of Macaulay's previous work. It is somewhat sloppy in appearance; the illustrations are not clear and the text is not placed well. My 10 year old grandson lost his initial enthusiasm very quickly as did I.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I studied biochemistry and I make learning technology, video game in particular, to teach molecular biology to the 14-16 year old crowd. I have read a LOT of books on this subject and read a lot of books intended for this age group. You need this book. If you have not read it yet, even if you are 80, you should read it now.

This book provides the basic understanding of our bodies that we will need to understand why some diets work and some do not. Why dome drugs work and some have side effects on different people. What are carbohydrates and what are lipids? There are countless reasons why we need this basic understanding of our own bodies.

This book is full of medical illustrations. The medical illustration serves a purpose that photographs cannot: Medical illustration can show a cross section, it can show layers peeled away, it can show an organ in different stages of development. Photographs are beautiful to look at, but for learning the parts and explaining organs; even surgeons use medical illustrations to study.

And a special note about the chapter about reproduction. Look carefully at the lines of the hormones going up and down. 10 year old kids are not too young to know about these things. For one their emotions are going to change and how will the know this is normal? And second their bodies are going to change, and how will they know this is normal? Most parents wouldn't serve a meal to their kids without mentally preparing them for the traumatic experience of eating veggies "I am making your favorite dessert so you will have to eat your green beans tonight." So why wouldn't we prepare them for the years of adolescence and teens? And they should see how easy it is to get pregnant.
on October 22, 2014
I have a son who is always asking questions about how things work and currently says he wants to be a doctor when he grows up. Therefore, I bought this book thinking it would be a perfect Christmas present. Thank goodness I read through it first! The reproductive section is WAY too graphic to be appropriate for a child. I do not agree with the age rating on this book to start at 10 years old, unless you are prepared to have your child know EXACTLY how sex works. HOWEVER, this is a great book for teens and adults, and really breaks things down into simple, well-illustrated descriptions on all aspects of the human body.
on December 15, 2008
From how humans breathe or see to how eyes perceive, this is an outstanding focus on how humans work blending basic physiological reviews and medical facts with an analysis of the human body's systems and how they affect daily functioning. Large-size, clear, bright color drawings - many full-page - throughout accompany lively facts about the human body designed to capture and retain interest for all ages, from high school students through general-interest adult readers.
on June 4, 2014
Since a lot has been written about the books other chapters which are adequate I will focus my review on chapter 7. "Extending the Line" Firstly there is a lack of explanation about the different male and female body parts. The female ones are referred to as "N" which is bewildering. There is also no mention of the composition of the muscles in the vagina and the role they play. The male penis is lacking a foreskin. During the delivery method discussion there is also no mention of the foreskin which provides its own lubricant and is retracted. Ejaculation is explained by the "back and forth motion of penis" as if the vagina plays no part other than recipient, which is sad and inaccurate. Breastfeeding is covered and I applaud that however it's placement before birth is.....out of order. Birth illustrations are mistakenly excluded. What are we to wonder about how this baby (which takes up the entire page) is to exit the uterus? This book was a gift. We will use it for the other chapters but we will most certainly need a different one for sex organs and reproduction. Even waste excretion was handle in a prudish manner.

You could have done much better.
on November 25, 2011
David Macaulay is one of my favorite illustrators because he is able impart complex ideas into understandable pictures that all of my kids can grasp - and me, too. This book is no different. I bought this for my 17 yo who is studying Human Anatomy this year, and find that all of us are drawn to the book and learn from it.